Getting a Stethoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keels99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I know Littmann is the best stethoscope to get, but I was curious if there was a big difference between the different ones (i.e. Cardiology vs. Lightweight vs. Classic.) I was hoping some current students might be able to give me advice on this.

Members don't see this ad.

So far as sound quality, I feel that Cardiology III=Classic II SE>Lightweight. I like the double diaphragm on the Cardiology III though, it allows it to work as a pediatric and adult stethoscope, sparing you from buying two scopes for different rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waiting until school starts because I don't want to get mine verified and be told it's not good enough to be used.
Also, I heard some schools have donors that donate stethoscopes for students, which in that case I save money.
However, I've only seen Littmann in ER that I worked in.
Some have volume control and other things as a function.

At this point just get something in the $60 range on Amazon.
This also isn't a bad idea. You're probably going to either lose your first scope or have it stolen until you are used to having it around. Until you learn to take care of a stethoscope and not lose it, get an ADC or Prestige.

So far as sound quality, I feel that Cardiology III=Classic II SE>Lightweight. I like the double diaphragm on the Cardiology III though, it allows it to work as a pediatric and adult stethoscope, sparing you from buying two scopes for different rotations.

What do you mean?

--

Also I'm not sure if the coupon is targeted but I have one for $10 off on the Classic II SE. If you pick the cheapest color it comes down to something like $58 shipped.

This also isn't a bad idea. You're probably going to either lose your first scope or have it stolen until you are used to having it around. Until you learn to take care of a stethoscope and not lose it, get an ADC or Prestige.
Good point. I have a bad tendency of leaving stuff places (phones, mp3 players, etc.) Thanks for the input, everyone.

Good point. I have a bad tendency of leaving stuff places (phones, mp3 players, etc.) Thanks for the input, everyone.

Buy a really weird color that no one else likes. It will help you identify yours quickly. You can also put something on it.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you mean?

--

Also I'm not sure if the coupon is targeted but I have one for $10 off on the Classic II SE. If you pick the cheapest color it comes down to something like $58 shipped.
The Cardiology 3 comes stock with a second diaphragm that covers the bell side that allows it to act as a pediatric diaphragm due to its smaller size. This is convenient in patients that are on the younger side, as a full-sized stethoscope can cover way too much surface area on a 2 year old or younger. (Throw an adult scope on an infant and you can basically hear their whole body lol)

The Cardiology 3 comes stock with a second diaphragm that covers the bell side that allows it to act as a pediatric diaphragm due to its smaller size. This is convenient in patients that are on the younger side, as a full-sized stethoscope can cover way too much surface area on a 2 year old or younger. (Throw an adult scope on an infant and you can basically hear their whole body lol)

Hmm, I wonder if a smaller diaphragm can be purchased for the SE II.

My back up steth was given to me by a physician and it doesn't have a covering on the bell. I just rotate it and it works fine.

Hmm, I wonder if a smaller diaphragm can be purchased for the SE II.

My back up steth was given to me by a physician and it doesn't have a covering on the bell. I just rotate it and it works fine.
It can't, that I know of. The design of the bell on the SE II isn't made to properly work as a diaphragm. Just buy a cheap ADC or Prestige pedi scope- I used to have separate ADC peds and neo scopes since i rotated all over the hospital as an RT, and they worked fine. The Cards III is just nice for consolidation purposes since I can now own 2 scope instead of 3.

It can't, that I know of. The design of the bell on the SE II isn't made to properly work as a diaphragm. Just buy a cheap ADC or Prestige pedi scope- I used to have separate ADC peds and neo scopes since i rotated all over the hospital as an RT, and they worked fine. The Cards III is just nice for consolidation purposes since I can now own 2 scope instead of 3.

Ugh, you might be right. My backup has a sleeve you unscrew. You can attach a diaphragm to it or leave it as is.

For the cardiology III I guess you need to pop the diaphragm off to make it an open bell.

"Pediatric side converts to an open bell by replacing the diaphragm with a non-chill bell sleeve (included)."

Edit: ****, no wonder. According to Google the backup I've been treating like crap is worth 2x my Cardio III.

Last edited:
I know you asked for current students, but having spent 10 years in a paramedic career using and owning stethoscopes I figure I can safely weight in. I swore by the Cardiology III and Master Cardiology as IMO they worked the best in noisy situations, like on a chaotic accident scenes, in industrial buildings and most importantly in the back of a diesel-powered ambulance. This was important for me as my hearing is far from perfect. I never had problems distinguishing lung sounds, heart sounds or hearing a blood pressure with these scopes, but my mileage varied extensively with other types. I especially hate cheap Sprague style scopes (the ones with two tubes) because you can get a ton of tube sounds.

I would, however, wait until you hear what you need for your school. Some schools, I have heard, even supply them. It would be a shame to shell out a lot of cash on a new scope just to have the school provide reasonably decent ones.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So do you guys never use the bell? Our clin med prof said we always need to have the bell ready to use and the adult diaphragm works just fine on peds rotation :shrug:

So do you guys never use the bell? Our clin med prof said we always need to have the bell ready to use and the adult diaphragm works just fine on peds rotation :shrug:
The cardio III has a tuneable diaphragm that works as a bell or diaphragm depending on the pressure applied. So you've basically got an adult bell and diaphragm AND a peds bell and diaphragm at the same time.

I own a Cardiology III, SE II, and electronic Littman.

The Cardiology III has no rival.

I second getting a unique stethoscope...I have black tubing and gold metal...straight pimpin'. Also don't leave you stethoscope in the car...the heat will ruin your investment.

According to the description the diaphragm can come off.

It comes off with a little bit of prying, the only issue is that I could never figure out how to get it back on and I eventually lost it.

I had to replace the diaphragm once - it took a few minutes:

Don't buy one. Chances are good that your school (or state osteopathic medical association) will give you one, or at least give you a discount.

Hey guys. I know Littmann is the best stethoscope to get, but I was curious if there was a big difference between the different ones (i.e. Cardiology vs. Lightweight vs. Classic.) I was hoping some current students might be able to give me advice on this.

I love the Master Cardiology. This is the exact one that I have here: http://goo.gl/AmJwnb I've been using it for a year now. I've compared it with the Classic and they just don't match up. Go with the Cardiology.

Wait until you get info from your school on what you need. There are many kinds of scopes, and you could easily buy a nice littman and find out they want you to have something else.
btw My harvey elite by Welch Allyn is pretty sweet, check them out WHEN you get the go ahead.

Wait until you get info from your school on what you need. There are many kinds of scopes, and you could easily buy a nice littman and find out they want you to have something else.
btw My harvey elite by Welch Allyn is pretty sweet, check them out WHEN you get the go ahead.

Does it say Tycos on it?

A physician gave me his and it looks exactly like that.

As an EMT-B, I use a SE II and it's worth the ~$110 that I paid for it, but I've tried on a Cardio III and it's crisp... Clean breath sounds, audible heart rhythms. The only consideration is that it's more pricey.

As the other posters have commented, wait until your med school/state osteo ass'n tells you if they'll provide one.. If you have to choose, choose the Cardio III (unless somehow there's a better one that comes out).

- Side-note: Does anyone else think that electronic steth's are really awkward and useless outside of academia? I feel like it's such a waste of money, but you see people with them... Weird...