Getting LORs for Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Walshy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From Loma Linda's website it says that 3 letters of recommendation are required and one must be from a "spiritual leader." As an atheist, it will be quiet challenging to get a letter from a spiritual leader. How should I go about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Got anybody credible in mind who could attest to your moral character?

Why do you want to go to LL? If you are atheist you might bang heads with a lot of people i would assume. I'm interested on my you want to go?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not my top choice. I just want to go to dental school. I don't know why my religion is an important factor for how well I can treat patients' teeth. Am I the only one that thinks their LOR policy is ridiculous?

If you're applying very broadly or simply aiming for a CA school, it's worth a shot. But odds may be greater elsewhere. You are right, first and foremost, it's a dental school and you want to be a dentist. But all schools have a unique personality and vision or whatever and they want candidates that fit whatever it is they have going on there whether it's faith, public health, research, big brains, etc.

If you're applying very broadly or simply aiming for a CA school, it's worth a shot. But odds may be greater elsewhere. You are right, first and foremost, it's a dental school and you want to be a dentist. But all schools have a unique personality and vision or whatever and they want candidates that fit whatever it is they have going on there whether it's faith, public health, research, big brains, etc.

There's a difference between accepting students based on research backgrounds/test scores ("big brains") and accepting based on which religion they practice. If I were an administrator at Loma Linda I would be embarrassed to uphold such a discriminatory policy.

There's a difference between accepting students based on research backgrounds/test scores ("big brains") and accepting based on which religion they practice. If I were an administrator at Loma Linda I would be embarrassed to uphold such a discriminatory policy.

They're a private institution that was founded by the SDA church. They can set a standard for whoever they want to accept. They also have some lifestyle requirements that isn't for everyone. There are plenty of other dental schools out there you can apply to if you don't agree with them.

If you feel this strongly about Loma Linda, how do you feel about Howard and Meharry? :laugh:

But let's not go there.

They're a private institution that was founded by the SDA church. They can set a standard for whoever they want to accept. They also have some lifestyle requirements that isn't for everyone. There are plenty of other dental schools out there you can apply to if you don't agree with them.

If you feel this strongly about Loma Linda, how do you feel about Howard and Meharry? :laugh:

But let's not go there.

Why not go there? I'm assuming those school's discriminate on the basis of race. This is also ridiculous. If I were running a dental school, I wouldn't even ask students for their race or religion. Those should not be factors for how well you can practice dentistry. Any dental school's admissions officers that do discriminate on those factors should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves. There's no problem with helping people of a certain race/background, but not at the expense of students who are more qualified in terms of factors like test scores, GPA and character.

Last edited:
Why not go there? I'm assuming those school's discriminate on the basis of race. This is also ridiculous. If I were running a dental school, I wouldn't even ask students for their race or religion. Those should not be factors for how well you can practice dentistry. Any dental school's admissions officers that do discriminate on those factors should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves. There's no problem with helping people of a certain race/background, but not at the expense of students who are more qualified in terms of factors like test scores, GPA and character.

There are plenty of other schools you can apply to. Get over it.

Even if a student has higher stats, that doesn't necessarily indicate how well they can practice dentistry either.

It's not necessarily the religion you practice that they are screening for. From the outside looking in it's easy to think so. There are definitely students from other religious backgrounds (Christian and non-Christian), maybe even non-religious students. They are entitled to find applicants with characteristics that might better align with some of the principles they have. Like ASDOH. Despite the rumors (or even hints by admissions), they are not really screening for a magic number of volunteer hours. They're looking for traits in people they think fit their mission and philosophy. The high average number of hours is more of a product of their selections, not a basis for it. Similarly, you might find more Christian and SDA students at Loma Linda because they overall fit what they want in their candidates.

The "spiritual leader" letter probably conjures up the thought of a letter from clergy. But it's a little open for interpretation. I don't think they will deny your application because your letter isn't from clergy or on church letterhead. I'm sure the substance of these letters is what's important (versus what's in an academic or dental letter). From what I hear, it's a good dental school. So if you're set on applying there, I think you can fit their application requirements. Whether or not they like you for their program as a whole is for them to decide. Keep in mind the curriculum or lifestyle the school will have for you too. It might not be for you and you don't want to be miserable should they accept you. Same for ASDOH. You're not going to be a happy camper if you're not down with volunteering and public health.

@jeffity, thank you for your response, but if they wanted non-religious students they wouldn't ask for a letter of recommendation from a spiritual leader. I know that these schools are private institutions and that they have the right to discriminate based on race and religion, but at the end of the day, how can you live with yourself if you reject someone because he/she was black or white or jewish or muslim? It just doesn't make sense to me. Looks like I won't be applying to Loma Linda.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not my top choice. I just want to go to dental school. I don't know why my religion is an important factor for how well I can treat patients' teeth. Am I the only one that thinks their LOR policy is ridiculous?

One can say the same for any other kind of extra curricular activity that helps get a person in. For example, how does volunteering for highway cleanup or playing on a national sports team make you a better dentist? rediculous? Maybe but, It makes you a more diverse and well rounded person. Which is saught after by the majority of dental schools in this country. Having an interest or participation in some kind of institution harboring spirituality is just another example of diversity and well roundedness.

Personally, I don't see how this is embarrassing. If anything, I think it's great because it shows that an LLU education has depth; They create an environment of like minded people.

Also, I think it's important to note that they seem to be open to most none sda religions. Another thing to keep in mind is that Adventists keep general health in very high regard as a religion. They consider the body as a "temple" which is to be protected and kept clean and healthy. Many are vegans, most are vegetarians and none of them eat pork, shrimp, shark or any other foods deamed unclean by the bible. They typically live 10 years longer than the average American. With this is mind one can safely say that an adventist is more likely to be concerned with patient health and well being than the average American.

In my opinion, it's very respectable to seek out students who are concerned with the well being of the patient rather than the well being of their finances. :)

Cheers :xf:

Last edited:
Why do you want to go to LL? If you are atheist you might bang heads with a lot of people i would assume. I'm interested on my you want to go?
Most of the people I know here are too busy with school to be debating about religion. what is most important to LLU is if you have an attitude of service, even if you don't subscribe to their religious beliefs. I'm non-SDA and have had no conflicts with faculty or administration regarding that.

Even if a student has higher stats, that doesn't necessarily indicate how well they can practice dentistry either.

It's not necessarily the religion you practice that they are screening for. From the outside looking in it's easy to think so. There are definitely students from other religious backgrounds (Christian and non-Christian), maybe even non-religious students. They are entitled to find applicants with characteristics that might better align with some of the principles they have. Like ASDOH. Despite the rumors (or even hints by admissions), they are not really screening for a magic number of volunteer hours. They're looking for traits in people they think fit their mission and philosophy. The high average number of hours is more of a product of their selections, not a basis for it. Similarly, you might find more Christian and SDA students at Loma Linda because they overall fit what they want in their candidates.

The "spiritual leader" letter probably conjures up the thought of a letter from clergy. But it's a little open for interpretation. I don't think they will deny your application because your letter isn't from clergy or on church letterhead. I'm sure the substance of these letters is what's important (versus what's in an academic or dental letter). From what I hear, it's a good dental school. So if you're set on applying there, I think you can fit their application requirements. Whether or not they like you for their program as a whole is for them to decide. Keep in mind the curriculum or lifestyle the school will have for you too. It might not be for you and you don't want to be miserable should they accept you. Same for ASDOH. You're not going to be a happy camper if you're not down with volunteering and public health.
QFT. If you're not religious, just get a letter from someone who can attest to your moral character, preferably someone you have done some community service with.

One can say the same for any other kind of extra curricular activity that helps get a person in. For example, how does volunteering for highway cleanup or playing on a national sports team make you a better dentist? rediculous? Maybe but, It makes you a more diverse and well rounded person. Which is saught after by the majority of dental schools in this country. Having an interest or participation in some kind of institution harboring spirituality is just another example of diversity and well roundedness.

Personally, I don't see how this is embarrassing. If anything, I think it's great because it shows that an LLU education has depth; They create an environment of like minded people.

Also, I think it's important to note that they seem to be open to most none sda religions. Another thing to keep in mind is that Adventists keep general health in very high regard as a religion. They consider the body as a "temple" which is to be protected and kept clean and healthy. Many are vegans, most are vegetarians and none of them eat pork, shrimp, shark or any other foods deamed unclean by the bible. They typically live 10 years longer than the average American. With this is mind one can safely say that an adventist is more likely to be concerned with patient health and well being than the average American.

In my opinion, it's very respectable to seek out students who are concerned with the well being of the patient rather than the well being of their finances. :)

Cheers :xf:

It's fine to judge people based on their community service hours. That shows qualities like how much you help others ect... Even though it's not directly related to dentistry it still is connected in some way. The color of my skin or which religion I practice is clearly not valid criteria for how well I can practice dentistry. I think we can all agree on that.

I went to visit Loma Linda in February and i asked them the question of how "Christian" do you have to be in order to get in? They said you just have to be prepared to be in an environment which is based on Christian morals. This includes once a week you must go to an 1 hour meeting in their church, where they will be having inspirational guest speakers and things like that. Loma Linda is a Christian dental school.

I went to visit Loma Linda in February and i asked them the question of how "Christian" do you have to be in order to get in? They said you just have to be prepared to be in an environment which is based on Christian morals. This includes once a week you must go to an 1 hour meeting in their church, where they will be having inspirational guest speakers and things like that. Loma Linda is a Christian dental school.

Should also mention you're not allowed to consume alcohol, have sex, drink caffeine on campus, etc.

I'm not bashing or trying offend. Just informing. I think people should well informed about the dental school before they apply.

Last edited:
Should also mention you're not allowed to consume alcohol, have sex, drink caffeine on campus, etc.

I'm not bashing or trying offend. Just informing. I think people should well informed about the dental school before they apply.

you can't drink caffeine on campus?

I thought the caffeine thing was a myth...lemoncurry can hopefully weigh in. As far as sex, simple solution...get a spouse! ;)

the alcohol thing is true. You can get in major trouble for consuming alcohol if caught.

The caffeine thing is a myth. Loma Linda does not SELL meat products or caffeine products on its campus. However, no one is prevented from bringing or consuming meat or caffeine. Also, I know of at least 2 soda machines that do vend caffeinated drinks.

As an atheist, you should not go to Loma Linda. That schools is very very dedicated to religious beliefs. Infact one of their policies is to indoctrinate you into believing their faith. You must attend to their beliefs, do religion services and attend the church.

Mormons are not something you want to be around as an atheist. Their beliefs are detestable, they justify racism by saying that Dark Skin people are more wicked than lighter skinned people. (I've known some former mormons, the higher you go up the more you learn what that religion is about, though I am sure there are good Mormons, unfortunately religion can make even good people do bad things.) But enough of my rant.

Short story: If you are an atheist, you will absolutely hate it there. Do not go there.

As an atheist, you should not go to Loma Linda. That schools is very very dedicated to religious beliefs. Infact one of their policies is to indoctrinate you into believing their faith. You must attend to their beliefs, do religion services and attend the church.

Mormons are not something you want to be around as an atheist. Their beliefs are detestable, they justify racism by saying that Dark Skin people are more wicked than lighter skinned people. (I've known some former mormons, the higher you go up the more you learn what that religion is about, though I am sure there are good Mormons, unfortunately religion can make even good people do bad things.) But enough of my rant.

Short story: If you are an atheist, you will absolutely hate it there. Do not go there.

That's nice. I thought we were talking about Loma Linda. How about those Seventh Day Adventists?

The school is full of LDS members.

Class of 2015, entering profile:

67 SDA
8 LDS
6 Christian
3 Not Specified
4 Catholic
1 Jewish, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Assembly of god, Sikh

Unless you mean the faculty. But I don't know where you'd find those numbers.

The school is full of LDS members.

They are Adventists

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28_Fundamental_Beliefs_(Adventist)