Girls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey John!
Thanks for telling me about this place! I'm addicted. Also I think we are going to have a meeting soon about the admissions process and would love to have you come and talk to us if you have time! :)

Members don't see this ad.

So... any more girls on here with their photo avatar? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
billiken10 said:
How did I get involved in this? I didn't even say anything! And what exactly is a ninja/pirate hybrid?

the greatest power on earth! :eek:

IcemanDDS said:
So... any more girls on here with their photo avatar? :D

ME! And my honey of 5 yrs:)

Nendo21 said:
you guys are adorable! 5 years is impressive :D

Not to mention...scary...It will be 5 years for me and my girl in less than a month...oh boy :eek:

Ninja Pirate! Genius! I've been trying to think of a mascot for Loma Linda because to my knowledge they don't have one, because there's no sports or anything like that. The Loma Linda University Ninja Pirates......I like the sound of that!

USUaggie said:
Ninja Pirate! Genius! I've been trying to think of a mascot for Loma Linda because to my knowledge they don't have one, because there's no sports or anything like that. The Loma Linda University Ninja Pirates......I like the sound of that!

Hey...don't mention it...ain't no thang my friend :) I try to do what I can do whenever I can do it!

lunguv said:
Not to mention...scary...It will be 5 years for me and my girl in less than a month...oh boy :eek:

congrats:) doing anything special?

angeeeeee said:
congrats:) doing anything special?

Oh...boy...that’s a great question! Actually, she is off campus right now (China) and she will be returning the day after I’m done with school...so I am so damn excited. So I definitely want to plan something fun for when she comes back and then for our anniversary. You are more than welcome to throw some ideas at me ;).

lunguv said:
Oh...boy...that’s a great question! Actually, she is off campus right now (China) and she will be returning the day after I’m done with school...so I am so damn excited. So I definitely want to plan something fun for when she comes back and then for our anniversary. You are more than welcome to throw some ideas at me ;).

what a great guy too bad there's not that many of you out there... ;) lol

Members don't see this ad :)
lunguv said:

Well, I don't recommend anything too expensive and gifts are nice. Most of the girls I know would prefer something that you do together, whether it is a trip (can be one day or more), or a day of fun things to go do...trust me, it is much more memorable. Last Christmas my best girlfriends and my bf went in on this "day out" kind of present. It was really cute and thoughtful. First they bought me all these cheesy dollar-sotre presents that I opened one at a time that represented what I was going to do...

Cheesy Present Real Present
Barbie Clothes Gift card to mall for an outfit to be used for the dinner
Toy Golf Club Round of mini golf
Rubber Ducky Day Spa/Jacuzzi rental
postcard of Seattle Dinner at the Space Needle

Then they gave me a little card with a map drawn out of where we would be going for the day...like a cartoon map of Seattle with dotten lines and the locations.

Finally They gave me a small empty picture album that had all the gift certificates and disposable camera to take pictures of the day so I can always remember it.

OK...I understand you are a guy and that might be over the top for you, but I was just using it as something to get the thoughts flowing. Maybe your girl is more into getting gifts, maybe she wouldn't like something like that?

USUaggie said:

We don't have any mascots at Arizona either.

So, is this thread basically done with discussing the original topic? Surely there must be more to it...

angeeeeee said:
Well, I don't recommend anything too expensive and gifts are nice. Most of the girls I know would prefer something that you do together, whether it is a trip (can be one day or more), or a day of fun things to go do...trust me, it is much more memorable. Last Christmas my best girlfriends and my bf went in on this "day out" kind of present. It was really cute and thoughtful. First they bought me all these cheesy dollar-sotre presents that I opened one at a time that represented what I was going to do...

Cheesy Present Real Present
Barbie Clothes Gift card to mall for an outfit to be used for the dinner
Toy Golf Club Round of mini golf
Rubber Ducky Day Spa/Jacuzzi rental
postcard of Seattle Dinner at the Space Needle

Then they gave me a little card with a map drawn out of where we would be going for the day...like a cartoon map of Seattle with dotten lines and the locations.

Finally They gave me a small empty picture album that had all the gift certificates and disposable camera to take pictures of the day so I can always remember it.

OK...I understand you are a guy and that might be over the top for you, but I was just using it as something to get the thoughts flowing. Maybe your girl is more into getting gifts, maybe she wouldn't like something like that?

Hah...that's pretty cool actually, thank you! Ya I am actually thinking about taking her on a trip somewhere. My original idea was to take her to Chicago for the day, go shopping, go to dinner somewhere nice, followed by some sort of show like a comedy show and then instead of driving back we could get like a nice hotel room or something...that’s what I am thinking so far...but I don't know there is still some time before she comes back :). She would actually love the idea you gave me, she is really into that sort of stuff.

Nendo21 said:
ohh yes im so tough, lol :p

Too bad you don't live near me, I would find a girl to beat u up! :smuggrin:
LOL...ok that was dumb...I am just kidding...But...Seriously!

ItsGavinC said:
We don't have any mascots at Arizona either.

So, is this thread basically done with discussing the original topic? Surely there must be more to it...

Yeah, anymore females on here? I was just curiuos to get views on dentistry from a girl's standpoint.. I have heard guys on here talk about how in dental school all the girls have it easy... I'm not too sure if I like hearing that. (Although of course who cares what they think!) Do guys in dental school really think that? I, for one, know I wouldn't ever flirt with a professor to make things easier for myself. Also, what do you think about being a dentist and having a family some day? .. etc, etc. Any thoughts?

TeddieBelle said:
Yeah, anymore females on here? I was just curiuos to get views on dentistry from a girl's standpoint.. I have heard guys on here talk about how in dental school all the girls have it easy... I'm not too sure if I like hearing that. (Although of course who cares what they think!) Do guys in dental school really think that? I, for one, know I wouldn't ever flirt with a professor to make things easier for myself. Also, what do you think about being a dentist and having a family some day? .. etc, etc. Any thoughts?

what if the professior is a young keanue reeve look alike hmmm im daydreaming here lol...i think the family thing might be a bit complicated but possible.

TeddieBelle said:

Yaaa...you may fool the others on this board...but you are not fooling me! I know damn well you will flirt with those professors!...but back to your original question :) I have a lot of girl friends who are going into dentistry and many of them are not specializing because they want to get out and have a family. But...this is not to say that you can't specialize!

I've seen some d-school profs, and most of them were retired dentists 60+ years of age. Have fun flirting with them! :laugh:

angeeeeee said:
ME! And my honey of 5 yrs:)

Sorry, but we're interested in girls that dont have boyfriends ;)

Seriously though, 5 years!!!

And lunguv, you too???!!!! 5 YEARS!!!

Crap, Im going on 3 months and....nevermind. I shouldnt say.

Yea let's hear from you single ladies on here... ;)

IcemanDDS said:
Yea let's hear from you single ladies on here... ;)
I'm female. I think it's more difficult to be accepted in dental school as a female? What do you think?

I don't think it would be more difficult for you to get in. It might be as difficult or less difficult. I would imagine that you are competing with less females for a certain amount of seats, but I'm not sure on the numbers. I just can't picture a school making it harder for girls to get into than guys and getting away with it.

Also, I think the sentiment that girls have it easier doesn't have to do with the girl intentionally flirting to get the grade, I think many dental students have had the experience of doing those stupid wax teeth carvings over and over again while a better-looking and more female classmate gets it passed off the first time for what to them may appear to be a carving of equal or less quality. Make sense? We're not holding it against you, I've just heard of it happening.

I'm a lady and I look like Javadicavity's avatar. If my professors like women with facial hair -- dental school will be a piece of cake for me.

etoolky1 said:
I'm female. I think it's more difficult to be accepted in dental school as a female? What do you think?

My class at Arizona is 40% female. The class below ours is nearly 50% female. The class matriculating this year is OVER 50% female (I've heard 60% or so).

USUaggie said:
I don't think it would be moreAlso, I think the sentiment that girls have it easier doesn't have to do with the girl intentionally flirting to get the grade, I think many dental students have had the experience of doing those stupid wax teeth carvings over and over again while a better-looking and more female classmate gets it passed off the first time for what to them may appear to be a carving of equal or less quality. Make sense? We're not holding it against you, I've just heard of it happening.

It's happened time and time again...

I'm a female. I definitely don't think I had a harder time getting into dental school because of my gender, but I have to say that being a good-looking female is a double-edged sword. Taking the previous example, how would you like everyone to think that the only reason your wax carvings get passed quickly is because you have a rack and a pretty face? Personally I've earned every grade I've gotten, but that doesn't stop people from discounting my abilities. When I start dental school in July I hope that I am held to the highest standard, I want to learn and perfect my skills, not just pass.

As far as having a family and specializing, I'm planning on being a GP simply because I'm sure that I will be completely tired of school after another three years. I'm not in a rush to have children (even though I too have been with my boyfriend for almost 5 years :eek: ) because I want to establish myself first. I foresee the most difficult part being working with young children, but not working has never crossed my mind.

Jess_SB said:
I have to say that being a good-looking female is a double-edged sword.
I would have to agree with this statement...The first time I was "hit" with the idea that people thought la-dies were at an advantage in the classroom because of how they looked was after I defended my thesis to my chemistry committee. After 1.5 hours of talking chemistry, I sat outside while the committee discussed my work...The head eventually came out and congratulated me for getting an A as wells as "Honors." I was pumped...So I skipped home (actually biked) and told my good guy friend that I earned Honors, etc....what did he say in return? "Well, what did you wear?" BOOOOO! HISSSS! BOOOOOO!

1/3 of the committee was female and a unanimous decision has to be reached for honors...So poo on you Zach!

But, tying this to dental school, it seems to be a common belief among the men that women get special privileges when it comes to their clinical and preclinical work...Since I've never stepped foot in a dental school as of yet (except for the tours...Harvard's tour was the best followed by Minnesota), I question if this is valid or if the men are eating sour grapes because their wax ups are crappy? Oh, settle down...I'm just kidding...

For my profound closing: A woman who manipulates a man (professor, classmates) knows she's doing it. . .a woman who uses her talents instead of her looks to succeed has more pride and confidence, I think.

Hey everyone...another girl here...I just wanted to say that I intend on both specializing (if they'll have me :oops: ), as well as starting a family someday (which will hopefully happen in my mid to late 20's :D ).

This is probably the appropriate thread to shout out a congratulations to North Carolina for the victory last night. I watched the last 2 minutes of the Miss USA pageant and noticed that NC and California looked almost identical.

USUaggie said:
This is probably the appropriate thread to shout out a congratulations to North Carolina for the victory last night. I watched the last 2 minutes of the Miss USA pageant and noticed that NC and California looked almost identical.

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?
Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever,"
--Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss USA contest

There was a beauty queen in my NYU interview group April 1st. She wasn't in the Miss USA though. I think she was in Miss United States.

drat said:
Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?
Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever,"
--Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss USA contest
I think I saw that when it aired.

TeddieBelle said:
There are probebly girls in dental school that do have it easy, and because some people see that, they tend to generalize this to all girls. Which is not fair, but it happens. I wouldnt flirt with a professor to make things easier for myself not just because Im kinda bad at flirting, but because I think its one of the most unethical things I could do.

grinningrice said:
There are probebly girls in dental school that do have it easy, and because some people see that, they tend to generalize this to all girls. Which is not fair, but it happens. I wouldnt flirt with a professor to make things easier for myself not just because Im kinda bad at flirting, but because I think its one of the most unethical things I could do.
Well how could anyone flirt with this guy anyway?

comer.jpg

IcemanDDS said:

comer.jpg

darn where'd you find him if he had a wig on he'd look like a woman...hope no adcoms ever find this site :D

Nendo21 said:
darn where'd you find him if he had a wig on he'd look like a woman...hope no adcoms ever find this site :D
I hope they dont either, cause I took this photo from a dental school faculty directory :eek: :smuggrin:

Nendo21 said:

I think Ive read that adcoms do frequent this site :D

Iceman, you are going down!!! j/k ;)

IcemanDDS said:

comer.jpg
The question is, how can anyone NOT flirt with him?! Major Hottie!!!!

grinningrice said:
The question is, how can anyone NOT flirt with him?! Major Hottie!!!!

i think i'd question your taste but not your sense of humor lol