gloving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joeDO2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems there are 2 options when gloving in the OR-

1. Remove fingers slightly from gown and have to rescrub, regown, and reglove while everyone watches you

2. Leave fingers inside gown and have gown cuff in the thumb hole with glove dangling off the end for the entirety of the surgery

Members don't see this ad.

Uh... what? You do know you can remove fingers from your gown while they're inside your sleeves, right? Use the sleeves as a glove and tug them. But that's if the scrub nurse doesn't do it for you. Which case; what'd you do to piss them off? Just Kidding. But honestly; practicing self-gowning/etc is helpful in a lot of situations. I usually only need help getting the gown on (I really need to read how to take those gowns and open them) and can do everything from then on. Gloving is ridiculously easy now.

1. Remove fingers slightly from gown and have to rescrub, regown, and reglove while everyone watches you

2. Leave fingers inside gown and have gown cuff in the thumb hole with glove dangling off the end for the entirety of the surgery

Option 3: Be better at gloving.

Seriously...have one of the residents or scrub nurses show you, and then practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh... what? You do know you can remove fingers from your gown while they're inside your sleeves, right? Use the sleeves as a glove and tug them. But that's if the scrub nurse doesn't do it for you. Which case; what'd you do to piss them off? Just Kidding. But honestly; practicing self-gowning/etc is helpful in a lot of situations. I usually only need help getting the gown on (I really need to read how to take those gowns and open them) and can do everything from then on. Gloving is ridiculously easy now.
Think of it as a book. Grasp it by the binding so the book can open. Put your hands in the openings.

If the tech pulls your hand through a bit but not enough, spread your fingers and thumb out wide and the gown will sneak up your wrist just enough.

For opening a gown, the book thing is good. Just keep it way away from your body so they can't give you crap.

Just use your left hand inside the gown to tug the right sleeve down enough that your fingers are out. Put on right glove. Use gloved right hand to tug down left sleeve enough to have fingers exposed. Put on left glove.

Watch this video:

I'm tall so I usually have my fingers exposed when the nurse pulls my gown in the back to tie it, but before The tech puts on my first glove (right hand), I reach over with my left hand which is still inside the sleeve and tug my right sleeve back to expose about 2/3 of my fingers. Once that glove is on, I just reach over and do same on my left sleeve