good idea to move to New York State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brodaiga

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used to live in Buffalo, NY and moved to Atlanta, GA 8 years ago, and am finishing college here. I still have relatives in NY. I noticed NY state has a 12 schools while GA has two, Emory, and MCG (the other two are for rural medicine only). I was going to take a year off and work as an EMT-I. Doing a little research found that a new york residency means living there for a year. Would it be crazy to move back to ny to work as an EMT and apply to all the schools over there giving myself a higher chance of getting in because of all those med schools?

To the majority of them favor in state students? (something i would become by living there)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Only 4 of the 12 New York schools are state schools. And of those 4, the 2 that I interviewed at both said they are no longer showing in-state preference.
I'd say move to New Jersey. Seems their in-state preference has given many their one acceptance. [Grumbling about getting my first post-interview rejection today, from RWJ...]

i don't have it that bad in GA, MCG is 99% instate and Emory is 50% instate, just wondering how many of those 12 favor the instaters?

Their numbers suggest many more instaters attend than out of staters but is that because of a preference or just that those applications happent to live in ny?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's because New Yorkers tend to want to stay in NY, particularly those of us in NYC. Of course, knowing an area can make you seem more serious about the school, too.

I have a kidney ready to donate to whichever school in or near NYC wants to accept me...

According to the AAMC on a pure statistical basis you'd do better in New Jersey than New York (44.2 vs. 46.4% of applicants rejected last year) and much better than Georgia (54% of applicants rejected last year). The best state to is Rhode Island...almost 60% of the applicants go it in. However, it a few percent here and there is not going to make that much difference in the long run.

ahhh, mpp! FINALLY the number i've been looking for! 3,858 cali residents applied with only 500 spots available at uc's (i think... unless i've forgotten to add drew in there). that means 13% of cali residents who applied could go to a uc for med school. although this doesn't give the chances of getting in as a cali resident (b/c i'm sure some do turn down uc's), it at least tells us how many people have to go elsewhere for med school. i was shocked so many stay in-state, but i guess usc and loma linda pick up a lot of californians.

I am a lfelong resident of Ny and I was interviewed at only one state school (now on hold). Thank god I have 3 other acceptances, I am not complaining, but I was expecting more love from my state schools. Can't depend on anything in this process. It is such a crapshoot.

thanks for the stats link take a look at these numbers:

Public School

Instate applicants 45.8%
Instate matriculated 85.4%

Private School

Instate applicants 14.9%
Instate matriculated 38.2%

These trends also hold true for NY state. These numbers seem to indicate that your chance of getting into a school doubles if you reside in that state, or is the reason for teh difference due to more people choosing to go instate? are there statistics for percentage of instate applicants versus percantage of instate acceptances? But according to the numbers above, it would seem there is a definite advantage. Also, 4 public ny state schools accept almost 100% in state which is a big plus

any comments?