Got my class schedules confirmed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling mixed emotions here. I'm excited to finally be starting this (thus getting closer to finishing), but I've also got butterflies from it.

Summer Session I 2010; this is a retake for me from 9 years ago :oops:

University (general) Chemistry I with lab :eek:

Summer Session II 2010

University (general) Chemistry II with lab

Fall 2010 :eek:

Genetics with Genetics Experimental Lab

Organic Chemistry I with Lab

General Physics I with Lab.

Have a look and tell me if I'm screwed, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I usually think of summer courses as "double-paced" and labs as full courses, despite their unit content. It is my experience that any lab course automatically costs me more study/work time than any lecture.

So, you are taking a 4 class equivalent courseload for the summer, and a 6 class equivalent courseload for the fall.

It's doable, much less so if you are working full time, or even part time with EC's. If you are not 100 percent confident in your academics I would recommend reducing your courseload in the fall. Three labs is a lot to handle, and I don't think genetics lab is even necessary. Maybe swap out genetics+lab for some fluffy biostats or bio lecture with no lab.

Just a thought, if you are just starting maybe you want to ease into it. You're going to have a lot of work already with just physics and orgo.

Naa. Your summer should be a breeze. Its gen chem after all and you have had it before (even if it was 9 years ago).

Your fall will be tough but with just those courses you should be fine. O Chem 1 isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

It is my experience that any lab course automatically costs me more study/work time than any lecture.

Interesting, I'm exactly the opposite. Labs always seemed more application oriented to me and thats how I learn I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting, I'm exactly the opposite. Labs always seemed more application oriented to me and thats how I learn I guess.
It's the lab reports which overkill... I donna why they insist more on lab reports than the actual experience to gain in the labs. I know... just move on :cool:.

It's the lab reports which overkill... I donna why they insist more on lab reports than the actual experience to gain in the labs. I know... just move on :cool:.

Probably depends on how much focus the university places on research. For me (at UC Berkeley Extn) - lab reports are pretty important and there are prelab assignments as well. So there goes a good chunk of my time.

But in upper div Bio, they make us read a research paper for each class and present the figures (the professor will randomly call on anyone of us) and we are graded for this. Also, we are all expected to participate actively in a general discussion on the paper and are graded on this as well. Some of the papers pretty much sound like jargon when I first read it, and it takes some time before I can digest it well enough to explain it to the rest of the class. This is by far the most time intensive part for me.

As for the lecture material, you will get through it. Not sure about the place you are attending - but typically you have homework for all the basic science courses. For the upper div bio - we have quizzes every week.

I have 2 small kids and a have a career full time as a SW engineer - so this can be done. But of course something has to give - like fun trips during weekends or most of all - my sleep. Have got used to sleeping 5 hours or less every weekday - may extend that to a 6 on a weekend. Also stopped going to the gym during the semester - will start again in the summer.

I also agree that the Genetics lab is redundant - unless you are really really interested in it. They will probably make you work fruit flies which can be very boring or dull depending on your interests.

Last edited:
This isn't a research school. Southern Arkansas University. Look it up if you want. The asst. prof. teaching chem this summer doesn't have a doctorate. That doesn't mean a lot. I'm just saying it's not like a university where you get kicked in the balls every time you go to class. That's actually my alma mater.

I don't "need" any more biology classes. I've got loads of bio from undergrad in a range of fields: zoo, bot, A&P, micro, eco, etc. I've just wanted to take genetics for a few years now, and it's the only class that I look forward to. :oops: I want to take it. I thought it may make everything else difficult, but I'm going to try it out.

I like your schedule. It'll be hard work. But it's nice and tight. Compact and powered for quickness. Dedicating your whole summer to chem is a good learning plan. But make sure you hit it like the chem monk of the month though.

Genetics is cool. It'll be a good review of the central dogma from a molecular perspective. A nice class to take with Ochem. If only for the harmonic overtones.

Kill it.

I know exactly how you feel. I registered for orgo at a university thinking "I am a nondegree seeking student, I won't get in" and I did along with a couple more in the fall and it all of a sudden hit me like a 10 ton brick. I wish you the best of luck on your journey. I am cheering for you!

I'm feeling mixed emotions here. I'm excited to finally be starting this (thus getting closer to finishing), but I've also got butterflies from it.

Summer Session I 2010; this is a retake for me from 9 years ago :oops:

University (general) Chemistry I with lab :eek:

Summer Session II 2010

University (general) Chemistry II with lab

Fall 2010 :eek:

Genetics with Genetics Experimental Lab

Organic Chemistry I with Lab

General Physics I with Lab.

Best of luck! I start my pre-med adventure this summer too.. Hope to see you on the other side!