GPA 3.45 sGPA 3.2 MCAT 28

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mad_labmouse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm about to apply in May 2015 and I was wondering which schools I should Be looking into. I am about to complete a masters in bioethics (GPA 3.56) and thus far I have 3 (or maybe more by the time I apply) publications. I have been working as a lab technician while I was finishing up my masters and have over 3 years of experience as an undergraduate lab assistant on top of that. I have volunteered in both the public and private setting of US hospitals as well as organized and participated in volunteer trips abroad to places like Honduras and India. I have also sat on research committees and ethics consultant committees in hospitals through my masters degree program. I have a lot of other club and non-medical related volunteer experience. I am a resident of Illinois and plan on applying to all illinois schools (except pritzker and feinberg; I know my place). I also have no problem with DO schools. I was wondering what chances do you think I have for Rush, UIC, or Loyola in Chicago?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DO chances are great.

MD is a long shot with those GPAs (undergrad and grad) plus a 28 MCAT. However, you might get lucky with a UIC/RFU/Rush interview.

The one exception would be if you live south of I-80, then you have a decent shot at SIU.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just so i don't start a new thread, i retook the MCAT, and got 29. Needless to say i wont take it again. My Verbal went down while everything else went up. Would med schools take into account the situation and conditions under which i completed my undergrad/masters at all? I have never worked less than 30 hrs/week while being a full time student, as i moved to the US from Eastern Europe about 8 years ago. I don't fit into any minority application pool but is it worth addressing this in a personal statement?

I would shift my focus to DO programs. MDs are going to be a long shot, though not completely impossible, with your sGPA and MCAT scores.

Reactions: 1 user