GPA 3.46c 3.43s, good ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swhite92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, here's my stats:
20/m/white
cGPA: 3.46
sGPA: 3.43
**I know my grades aren't great, but I do have a good reason for it - I had a close relative pass away during the past semester and I took a couple weeks off from school to help care for him in his last week. Should I mention this in PS?
MCAT: taken on 5/11, waiting for results (I feel really good about it though!)

Degrees:
Biochemistry - Spring 2014
Departmental honors requirements in progress
Biomedical Science - Spring 2014
University Honors Program (cum laude) - Spring 2014

ECs:
Paid Employment - School Bakery - 500+ hours
Paid Employment - Grocery - 750+ hours
Research/Lab - biochemistry lab - 650+ hours - two poster sessions, development of a novel technique, and working towards a publication
Volunteer Non-Clinical - Undergraduate Chemistry Society Youth Outreach - 600+ hours - including service as a Committee Head & Coordinator for a large event
Volunteer Clinical - Emergency Room Volunteer - 100+ hours
Physician Shadowing - Hospital Internal Medicine - in progress, but will end up at about 50 hours
Extracurricular Activities - Campus Health Professions Club president 2013-2014 - not sure if this should be listed as extracurricular or leadership?
Hobbies - Backpacking & Mountain Biking

Awards:
Western Undergraduate Exchange Award/Scholarship (top tier)
Deans List 3x
Departmental Research Creativity Award
Departmental Student Success Award
Undergraduate Chemistry Society Student of the Year
AED Pre-professional Honor Society Member

LORs:
1 Research PI, 2 Science Faculty, 1 Physician, 1 Department Head, 1 Volunteer Coordinator, all going in with the PPAC letter

I am a CA resident and have been in MT the past 4 years for school. I am really hoping to get back to CA so I will practically be blanketing the state (there are also some really good schools there). Here's my list:

UCLA Geffen
USC Keck
Loma Linda
Stanford (I think this one's a long shot but I'm willing to take that chance)
UCLA Drew
UCSD
UCSF
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
I'll also be putting in for UA Phoenix, OHSU, and CU Boulder

Feel free to critique my app and schools as much as needed - any pointers are much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest (and without trying to sound like a cocky SOB), I thought the MCAT was pretty easy - might have something to do with the lack of an essay this year. I'm pretty confident it will come out to a 35+, with VR as my weaker section.

Members don't see this ad :)
your gpa is pretty low, especially for california
i wouldn't apply instate with that gpa unless you get like a 42 on the mcat

your gpa is pretty low, especially for california
i wouldn't apply instate with that gpa unless you get like a 42 on the mcat

Thanks for the feedback, that's about what I figured. What do you think my chances would be for DO? I'm thinking I would probably have a decent shot at TUCOM or WesternU.