GPA=3.9, MCAT=31-32 (?), plus nice EC's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SowonP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'd really appreciate your input for my overall competitiveness and evaluate my school list. I'm applying this June (YIKES). Thanks!
Sorry it's so long...

Academics:

University of MN-Twin Cities :D
Major: Neuroscience
cGPA= 3.94
sGPA= 3.92 (These aren't the AMCAS gpa's)

MCAT:
I will take my MCAT on May 17th (wish me luck!!!)
But I've taken 6 Kaplan FL's and my average is 32.
I've taken 2 AAMC FL's and my average is 31.

EC's:
1) Work as a CNA at an assisted living facility (10 hrs a week for 2.5 years)
2) Volunteered abroad in a hospital in Nepal with a native doctor (6 weeks, 9 hrs a day, 6 days a week)
3) Research with an individual project about chemotherapy induced neuropathy (1 semester so far, but will work full time in the summer)
I will be writing my Honors Thesis on this.
4) Shadowing: Family Physician (10 hrs), Neurologist (32 hrs), Geriatrician (5 hrs), Neurosurgery (soon)
5) Officer of a Christian student group...will be president next year (3 years)
6) Teaching aide for a summer orchestra camp for 4th-6th graders (2 summers of 5 weeks each)
Taught violin.
7) Science tutor for student athletes (5 hrs a week, 1 year)

LOR's:
Cell Bio prof, Neurosci prof, Chronic illness and society prof, research PI.
All know me pretty well I think.

PS:
I haven't started it yet...sort of at a loss right now.

But just for background info, I'm a Korean American. I've always worked hard and done well in my classes (never below an A-). Unfortunately, this semester, I've been really busy and my grade for one of my major courses has really slipped. I'm pretty sure I will get a C+ or a B- if I study really hard for the final. Any thoughts on how that might affect my application?
Another of my concerns is I haven't taken my MCAT yet, but my scores are hanging in the very low 30's. Plus I'm not entirely sure how predictive Kaplan is for the actual...we'll see.
Also, I have a lot of interest in neurology or psychiatry, but my MAIN interest is in geriatrics. I love working with older adults. :)

Preliminary School List
University of MN
University of Colorado
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rutgers
Loyola
University of Vermont
Georgetown
West Virginia University
St. Louis University
University of Rochester
Mayo (I wish! lol)

I think I should add more "lower tier" schools...any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

How do you calculate AMCAS GPAs? Are they very different from what your school gives you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so my AMCAS GPA comes out to:
cGPA=3.919
bcpm GPA= 3.88

Also, I've got solid bcpm GPA of 3.95 and 4.0 for freshman and sophomore year. Then this year (junior year), my bcpm goes down to 3.67.
Is that going to be a big deal? I mean its sort of a big drop...all because I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a B- for one of my classes this semester. :(