Graduating undergraduate a semester earlier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of now, I am a freshman in undergrad. I am a Biochemistry major. I have 24 units from AP credit. I have to take 3 math courses for my major (of which 2 I have received credit for), and 5 elective courses (of which I have received credit for 2 of them through elective credit). I also have credits through my general education requirements. In biology/chemistry/english/physics I am going to take full-year long courses. The only pre req I will be using AP credit for is calculus (which I cannot do much about because my university won't let me take calculus).
Having said that, I see the possibility to graduating in 7 semesters. As a prospective medical student, what are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
On top of that, I want to have a fun and enjoyable college experience, will not attending university 2nd semester senior year make me miss out on enjoyable senior year experiences, or is everyone stressed out about getting a job at that time?

Members don't see this ad.

The only reason to do that is to have less college debt. Relax enjoy yourself and if you really wants push yourself take some extra interesting classes

Saving money is the primary reason that I wanted to do this

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is an excellent idea. You can maybe get involved and learn more about research and how it is conducted in that last spring semester - and you can always attend senior stuff still.

Graduating early is fine. People come from all different backgrounds before going to med school; not everyone goes to med school immediately after college. If you can get done in 7 semesters, you could use the "extra" time to work, travel, or study abroad, etc. and be fine.

Moving to PA as this is a premed question.