GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken the GRE twice and both time my scores sucked (although I did improve a lot in math the second time). I took the liberty of calling all the schools I'm applying to check if my scores are "good enough", and although there is no minimum score for acceptance, I have a feeling the GRE might be a factor in the final determination...
How much do the GRE scores count in acceptance and should I take them again?? I heard that the more time you take the test, the worse it looks to committees...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How good does the rest of your application look? Grades? Veterinary experience? LORs?

Well, to me they look good. My GPA is above average (honors nerd here), I don't know about my LORs because only 1 person submitted it so far, and my vet experience is short (only since June), but I have a lot of animal experience...

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts told me that your grades and GRE account for 70% of your acceptance. If you split that in half you get 35% for the GRE, but who knows how they really weight it. They also said they look at math and verbal equally, but again I am not sure if thats the real story. Anyone know anything about this? Or do they really just care about the total score?

Also, do they even look at the writing section score with any importance?

I've taken the GRE twice and both time my scores sucked (although I did improve a lot in math the second time). I took the liberty of calling all the schools I'm applying to check if my scores are "good enough", and although there is no minimum score for acceptance, I have a feeling the GRE might be a factor in the final determination...
How much do the GRE scores count in acceptance and should I take them again?? I heard that the more time you take the test, the worse it looks to committees...

Thanks!
tbh, i think committees look at GREs as the honest-to-god testimony to your academics. all undergrad institutions differ, but the GREs don't. however, they also know that some students simply don't "test" well, therefore making their GPA a little more accurate, especially if you were able to take writing-based classes as opposed to more objective-type testings. make sense?

regardless of how theyre looked at, some schools look at it sooner than others. someone mentioned the other day that TAMU is a stickler for what could be called a "cut off," as i think OSU is? other schools consider the entire application before picking their interviewees. i think you can find the information on the process from respective websites.

i don't think it looks bad to committees to take the test multiple times, especially if your scores improved between testings. were your scores truly bad, or are you being a modest honors nerd? ;)

Also, do they even look at the writing section score with any importance?
Penn and (if i remember correctly) Cornell don't look at it at all! yay!! ha, but other schools i think weight it right along with the rest of the test scores. some may be more subjective about it, understanding that it's not *critical* for the medical profession. of course it has its value, i'm just glad penn didn't look at mine, lol.

I don't know about my LORs because only 1 person submitted it so far, and my vet experience is short (only since June), but I have a lot of animal experience...
i think what Hopeful meant was, did you pick people to write LORs that you worked your butt off for adn that will write you a stellar reference?

If applying to UTK, they give a breakdown of how many points you get for each section.. the GRE is only worth up to 25 points depending on how well you do. That's 25 out of the total for your academic profile- which is 157. So, in UTK's case, that's 132 for your GPA twisted several ways.. and only 25 for your GRE..

Guess it just depends where you apply. Check to see if there's a link for the selection procedure and how it goes on the school's site you're applying to..