GS hopeful with sub-500 COMLEX seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RRR96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a OMS3 interested in GS. COMLEX 1 490 which is below average for GS. COMLEX 2 will be taken in June. From the published 2012 OGME data, GS COMLEX average was 503 (in 2009 the average was 493).

Firstly, I have found that many GS programs require a rotation for interview. This is a bit ridiculous as our 4th year only allows for so many audition rotations (4 max!). To worsen the situation, some programs have a COMLEX cutoff at 500 or 550 for audition rotations. With these two bits of information, I feel that it will be quite an uphill battle for me to get into GS as not securing rotations will eliminate roughly 1/4 to half of my options. On the flip side, I believe that my situation is not unique considering the average COMLEX score for GS so there are obviously others out there who matched with a sub-500 score.

Looking for any advice from other GS applicants or residents/grads who is or was in a situation similar to mine.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to do audition rotations to get a residency spot. Your score makes you slightly below average, but only slightly.

I also only had 4 rotations for auditions, and I spent everyone one of them auditioning for my specialty of choice. Yes, it sucked. Constantly being "on" all the time is exhausting, but you really need to suck it up and get it done.

The students I know who did not put the effort into auditioning were not as happy on match day. I got my #1.

You are almost at the end of the race, don't slip up with the finish line so close.

Good luck.

P.S. Audition rotations fill up quickly for the important months, so you should start scheduling those immediately. Preferably two months ago.

Thanks for the advice.

Did you match into GS? Congrats on getting your #1. I hope to be able to say the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna have to destroy your auditions. GS match was very tough this year. Some programs have hard COMLEX score cut-offs...some are 550. If I were you, I'd go all out for GS, but I'd also apply and interview in a backup specialty. The match is only getting tougher.

Thanks for the heads up. Any advice on how to destroy auditions is appreciated. I can work harder than most and I am a likeable person, but my concern is that I don't have an aggressive attitude. I don't know how that will look especially with the old school surgeons.

There are obviously the reputable programs that everyone wants to get into and then there are those that are interviewing 30-50 applicants for 2 positions. I will apply everywhere, but I am hoping to get into one of the well-established programs.

Work hard and act like a normal human being. That should do it.

For GS audition rotations, are there any surgery books that one should read beforehand?

... COMLEX 1 490 ... From the published 2012 OGME data, GS COMLEX average was 503 (in 2009 the average was 493).

DO Match Report 2009 says Level 1 average of 499.1 with SD of 64.7
DO Match Report 2011 says Level 1 average of 528.02 with SD of 69.35
DO Match Report 2012 says Level 1 average of 502.4 with SD of 64.6

I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you. Just do well on Level 2 and have some good auditions and you'll be fine.

Do m1/m2 grades and class rank come into play to match GS?

Do m1/m2 grades and class rank come into play to match GS?

Yes m1/m2 grades are actually the most important aspect of your CV for all specialties, followed by extracurriculars, MCAT written score, and ability to use the search function on SDN.