Guelph c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skimble

With Beans
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread started for this when I searched. Anyone else applying to Guelph? My school is one of Guelph's "sister schools" so it seemed silly not to try! I've also spent a lot of time in Canada, and besides the harsher winters, I really like it there. I would love to hear from other applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying! The out of province price tag is a bit daunting though.
Their credit system is really annoying too.

The credit system is weird. I'm still waiting for my VMCAS to be verified, so I haven't gotten the supplemental form emailed to me yet, though I looked at it via the VMCAS link and started to fill it out. It sucks because getting a really good grade in a 4 credit class doesn't weigh any greater than a 2 or 3 credit class.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying too! My only complaint is that I may have to leave my pitbull with my husband on the U.S. side of the border :( but hey - they'll be only two hours away so seems doable :)
Good luck all :)

The credit system is weird. I'm still waiting for my VMCAS to be verified, so I haven't gotten the supplemental form emailed to me yet, though I looked at it via the VMCAS link and started to fill it out. It sucks because getting a really well grade in a 4 credit class doesn't weigh any greater than a 2 or 3 credit class.
Just trying to figure out if I met their requirements was a pain. It's just not intuitive to me. Sure I can figure it out pretty easily, but I actually have to think about it ;).

Last edited:
I was a little bummed because NONE of my master's classes are considered as an international student. I have been to Guelph though, and it's a cool little college town, not unlike where I currently attend school. I have a friend that is a physics prof at the University of Guelph, and he likes the area and says the local schools are pretty good if you have kids.

I'm in first year at OVC (after applying twice) if anyone has questions! I applied from Ontario so I'm not familiar with international student issues but I'm familiar with the Canadian application so if you guys want any info just let me know :)

Is anyone else having the issue where every so often the Guelph email account will just reroute you back to your standard gmail account? It's done that to me a few times and it's getting very annoying to fix it...

Is anyone else having the issue where every so often the Guelph email account will just reroute you back to your standard gmail account? It's done that to me a few times and it's getting very annoying to fix it...

Yes, it happens every so often. I sign out of both accounts and then sign back into them again. I think IT is aware of this but it's been happening since October for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else here an Ontario resident applying as "in-province" ? Just curious! We have a completely different application due in January so I was wondering if anyone else was working on it.

Im applying from Ontario, third time this year. Already done the internal application due January 1st though (did my undergrad at University of Guelph so I only have to fill out the internal transfer form by Jan 1st) Will be working on the background information form after this semester is over.

Jilary, I don't know when they interview international applicants but I know as an in province applicant we don't find out if we got an interview until april, interviews are held in may, and acceptances (or not) are send out about 4 weeks after interviews in June.

I'm an international applicant. Does anyone know when they start interviewing? I saw previously people interviewed as late as August! I thought as part of VMCAS/AVMA they had to let you know by April 15th?

I believe international applicants are interviewed in April (but don't quote me on that!). The people that were interviewed in August were likely coming off of the waitlist once they had some students decline their admission offers.

I'm an international applicant. Does anyone know when they start interviewing? I saw previously people interviewed as late as August! I thought as part of VMCAS/AVMA they had to let you know by April 15th?
I've heard that policy only applies to US schools.

I'm an international student and had my interview last week!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if they require fall transcripts? I know I have an entry for fall transcripts on the documents section of webadvisor but it doesn't have a due date. Is it just required if you are accepted or is it required before they make decisions?

Anyone know if they require fall transcripts? I know I have an entry for fall transcripts on the documents section of webadvisor but it doesn't have a due date. Is it just required if you are accepted or is it required before they make decisions?
I am wondering the same thing. Thinking of sending it just in case.

I believe international applicants are interviewed in April (but don't quote me on that!). The people that were interviewed in August were likely coming off of the waitlist once they had some students decline their admission offers.
Got an email for an interview. They offered me Feb 13, 20, 27 and March 6, so I think the April estimate is unlikely, for OOS anyway.

Ugh I have to rant here. Back in October I asked my second veterinarian for an evaluation, and he promised to give me one. Now this vets office is extremely disorganized and I didn't have the greatest experience there, so much so that I didn't even mention them on my original application, but I didn't realize Guelph needed two vet recommendations until I got to the supplemental part. Unfortunately, I had to use them because the clinic I work at now only has one vet, and this is the second most recent experience. My other experiences were at least several years ago and the vets said they didn't feel comfortable giving me a recommendation after so much time had passed. Several months and MANY phone calls later where I could never talk to the vet- only the receptionist, it finally pops up on WebAdvisor that they sent the evaluation form in, but apparently not the letter. After calling and emailing for another month, I finally get the hint that they don't REALLY want to give me an evaluation so I withdraw my application from Guelph...except the Admissions Office encouraged me to try once more since I still had time to get the letter in. I do try again, e-mailing a different vet within the same practice to see if she knew what was going on. Again, no response, and I figure the entire office is giving me the cold shoulder. So, I formally withdraw my application from Guelph, after wasting $150 on application fees and much frustration. Then yesterday, I FINALLY get an e-mail back from the second vet I tried at the practice, saying the e-mail system doesn't always work and she never even knew I asked for a recommendation from the clinic but that she would be happy to give it! Of course I feel like I can't rescind my withdrawal for a second time after putting the Admissions Office through so much hassle (plus it's been a couple weeks since my formal withdrawal). I don't think I will try to reactivate my application because at this point they've probably gotten rid of all the hard materials I sent in but it is SO frustrating. This is exactly what I didn't like about the clinic to begin with- the vets are run ragged and there's so much stress put on everyone by the owner that they never have time to actually talk to each other or organize themselves. I don't want to be sour grapes but I'm trying to tell myself well, I would probably have to choose a school before Guelph even let me know since they don't follow the April 15th deadline, plus I don't know if I could handle the winters in Canada...but I still feel like I put so much effort into this application all for nothing. So, even though I absolutely hate giving up on things like this I'm going to let the withdrawal stand, but I just had to rant here to people that understand the application process and why it's so frustrating. If anyone's read this far, good for you, and thanks for letting me let it out!

TD;DR: After 4 months of attempting to get a recommendation, a vet from a very disorganized clinic said she didn't know I'd asked for a recommendation but she'd give me a letter...after I officially withdrew my application for the second time.
/rant

I don't know that they would have gotten rid of your hard copy material. Elizabeth Lowenger and Deanna Lundmark are usually pretty good about helping you out (if you can get a hold of them). It might be worth asking them. You did after all pay the app fees. Have you gotten accepted elsewhere? If not I would definitely try to reactivate your app. It's worth a try.

Does Guelph send admission/rejection letters via mail or will it be on the Central Log In portal? Thanks!

Does Guelph send admission/rejection letters via mail or will it be on the Central Log In portal? Thanks!
I think both.

I am wondering the same thing. Thinking of sending it just in case.
Did you ever get an answer on the transcripts? I tried emailing them to ask but they never got back to me.

I'm a local undergraduate student still waiting for interview notifications. Does anyone know if they base their selections on grades solely or do they also look at experience + extracurriculars + reference letters? (top 200 applicants).

waiting is the worst :(

I'm a local undergraduate student still waiting for interview notifications. Does anyone know if they base their selections on grades solely or do they also look at experience + extracurriculars + reference letters? (top 200 applicants).

waiting is the worst :(

They use the 40:40:20 formula (prereq GPA:last 2 full time semesters GPA:MCAT) to generate the top 200 applicants list. They don't look at your experience/ECs/LORs until after the interview.

They do read them but don't sort using them. 40/40/40=65% of your post interview score.

I just received an interview, from what I can tell all the interviews for the undergrad cohort are going out today! Good luck!

I've received an interview for OVC but I'm really nervous that my grades aren't good enough to make the top 100. I've got an 84.5 in my prereqs and an 85.4 in my final two semesters. My MCAT is a 24. What do you guys think? Do I have a shot? Or am I just humouring myself by getting excited about the interview?

I've received an interview for OVC but I'm really nervous that my grades aren't good enough to make the top 100. I've got an 84.5 in my prereqs and an 85.4 in my final two semesters. My MCAT is a 24. What do you guys think? Do I have a shot? Or am I just humouring myself by getting excited about the interview?

Your grades were good enough to place you in the top 200, so I think you have a fair shot! I know of one classmate who had a similar MCAT score to you and got in. I think you'll have to score above average on the MMI to rank in the top 100 but it's definitely possible. Good luck!

Your grades were good enough to place you in the top 200, so I think you have a fair shot! I know of one classmate who had a similar MCAT score to you and got in. I think you'll have to score above average on the MMI to rank in the top 100 but it's definitely possible. Good luck!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Somedays I'm so confident that I've got a shot and then other days (like today) I don't know why I'm even bothering. This whole application process is extremely stressful. I find myself constantly comparing my stats to the class averages and other people's numbers. It's driving me crazy. I'm worried I've put so much pressure on myself that if I'm rejected I will be a miserable wreck. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Somedays I'm so confident that I've got a shot and then other days (like today) I don't know why I'm even bothering. This whole application process is extremely stressful. I find myself constantly comparing my stats to the class averages and other people's numbers. It's driving me crazy. I'm worried I've put so much pressure on myself that if I'm rejected I will be a miserable wreck. Has this happened to anyone else?

I was in a similar situation last year, I did not get in. I'm not going to tell you it didn't suck, it was one of, if not, the worst day of my life, but I also realized I had just lived out my biggest fear, and survived. I put so much pressure on myself, getting in was all or nothing. I ended up getting nothing. You are more then likely going to be a miserable wreck if you do not get in. I'm not going to sugar coat it for you, I wish people hadn't done that for me.

However, if you don't get in, you have a choice to make, either you're going to pack it in, or, you're going to have to wait a year to try again, and if the OVC application process has taught you anything, it's how to wait, excruciatingly long periods of time to find out if you get to go to vet school. Also you'll have an advantage being through it once already.

However, you have not been rejected yet, and that by proxy means you could be accepted! Try to remember that until you know for sure.

In the mean time, try not to look at the other applicants grades on the FVC forum (10 people is not an accurate representation of the range for the 200 applicants, also remember its an anonymous forum and people can lie), also don't stress over the cohorts they tell you a lot of information, but they also leave a lot of stuff out. Your grades look fine to me, you'll obviously need to score a little higher on the interview, however, since that's over try not to stress about it, any more. The most important fact is, they are not hopeless grades.

I still feel hopeless about my admission (I got a 20 on my MCAT if that makes you feel better) so your not alone!

I hope this helps calm your nerves a bit. I very much hope that we are classmates come September!

Good luck!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of you... Corally I had almost the exact same grades you did when I applied last year. I didn't get in but was VERY close so I definitely think you have a good chance if you did well on your interview.

Is anyone else counting the days going by wishing it was June yet? I just want to know their decision so I can plan.

The wait is agonizing! BIOMMMM, you are completely right, 10 people is not a good representation of 200. Thank you for giving me some perspective on being rejected. It's so hard not to get your hopes up or to obsess about your application (both of which I am guilty of). kdonalds, I had noticed your grades were similar to mine last year (I'm an FVC creeper) and I was completely bummed when you weren't accepted. Hopefully this is our year!

Unfortunately I am in the same situation as you guys. More or less exactly the same overall academic score/portion. Going into the interview I kind of accepted that I had to get a better than mean/median score on the interview to get accepted.

I must say that overall I ended up liking the MMI (this greatly surprised me, I really got into a 'groove'). Having said that, I doubt I did well. I definitely bombed more stations than stations I did well on. And I am almost certain I was a nervous wreck (Recorded myself close to the interview. Was a wreck. Did not fix it before the interview day came. Definitely worse than any normal person). But, it's all completely my fault as I did not prepare enough I guess. Procrastinated my ass off.

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I am so pissed at myself. So many regrets about undergrad, the MCAT, the interview. :( Essentially wasting another year of my life while I reapply and wait a whole damn year. God why did I have to be such a *******, and just keep on digging the hole deeper and deeper for myself. It all could have been so easy.

edit: woot woot 3am posts after not being able to sleep. I wish I were the banana -> :diebanana:

Unfortunately I am in the same situation as you guys. More or less exactly the same overall academic score/portion. Going into the interview I kind of accepted that I had to get a better than mean/median score on the interview to get accepted.

I must say that overall I ended up liking the MMI (this greatly surprised me, I really got into a 'groove'). Having said that, I doubt I did well. I definitely bombed more stations than stations I did well on. And I am almost certain I was a nervous wreck (Recorded myself close to the interview. Was a wreck. Did not fix it before the interview day came. Definitely worse than any normal person). But, it's all completely my fault as I did not prepare enough I guess. Procrastinated my ass off.

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I am so pissed at myself. So many regrets about undergrad, the MCAT, the interview. :( Essentially wasting another year of my life while I reapply and wait a whole damn year. God why did I have to be such a *******, and just keep on digging the hole deeper and deeper for myself. It all could have been so easy.

edit: woot woot 3am posts after not being able to sleep. I wish I were the banana -> :diebanana:

Hey Qwerty,

Please don't be so hard on yourself. I've got regrets about my application too. I was reading a post recently about an individual who went in unprepared, din't think the MMI went well, and then got in! So who knows? Maybe they are looking for things you haven't even thought of!

If you end up taking another year to reapply look at it this way, when you're 80 are you going to look back and worry about that one year you "wasted"? Hell no! You should see it as an opportunity to improve your application, make some money, and maybe explore other career paths. Taking time off from school isn't so bad (I've been finished my undergrad for two years). I've had the opportunity to really immerse myself in my volunteer work and through that have established a solid plan B career path (dairy nutrition/welfare researcher). If I'm not admitted to OVC this year, I'll probably be starting a masters in the fall. All of this wouldn't have come about if I hadn't had some time to explore my options. Good luck with your application and please try not to beat yourself up over it.

Honestly, as much as not being admitted sucks, I worked full time for the entire year and saved up quite a bit of money, so that takes away a stress for when I actually get in (hopefully we're all classmates come fall)!
Don't worry about regrets we all probably have them, anyone who doesn't have a 95 average and a 30+ on their MCAT probably wishes something was better on their application, I know I do! Right now I'm applying with a 20 on my MCAT so you better believe I wish that was higher!

Don't beat yourself up about your application! You were good enough to get an interview, you have a shot at getting in no matter where you fall on the top 200 even if it's a small one. I know it's hard and I know I cannot take my own advice but try to relax about everything till June!

Way to long! I'm so anxious for acceptances to come out its not even funny...

The anticipation is killing me!! I have to force myself to think of other things. One day I've got my hopes up and the next day all I can think about is what being rejected will feel like. Ahh, this is going to be the longest week ever.

Only another 5 days til June! I really hope early June means June 1st!

^Highly doubt it. My bet is on June 3rd.

Last two years I think it was June 2nd and 3rd.

Last year was June 2nd for sure (got my rejection then).

It was just posted on the future vets club forum that webadvisor should be updated by the end of the day June 1st!

The anticipation is killing me!! I have to force myself to think of other things. One day I've got my hopes up and the next day all I can think about is what being rejected will feel like. Ahh, this is going to be the longest week ever.

I know exactly how you feel! One day i feel like I'm getting in, the next I feel like there this humongous wall between me and vet school that I will never break through.

Last year was June 2nd for sure (got my rejection then).

I remember that day with such clarity, it's awful. Then the next day the email, and the next week the letter ( because we needed to be reminded three times) I defiantly think being rejected has to do with some of my (and probably some of a few people on here) nerves!

Good luck everyone! I really hope we're all classmates come fall!

Reactions: 1 users