Harvard Extension School biochemistry review online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itisnottoolate

M2
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since it has come up so much I am posting a review to the HES online Spring biochem class.

The spring course is basically identical to the Fall in class lecture. The online spring course consist of recorded lectures from the previous fall lectures.
There are three lecture exams and three problem sets. The first six lectures are taught by Travis Moore and the second half by Robin Hayes. They are both great instructors.

Even though the class is online there are several opportunities each week for live discussion through an online feature called Zoom. There are several review sections each week by the TAs. You can communicate with them and ask questions. There is also a live in person review section each week if you are in the area. The instructors also have posted office hours each week where you can speak live with them via Zoom. During exam weeks and problem set due weeks, they have additional hours. Even though this class is online, you are not missing anything that you would not get from an in class fall lecture. The exams are recorded through Proctoria. Also, I do not think it will show that it was taken online on your transcript.

The material was tough, but it is Biochemistry. Although I don't have my final exam grade back, my review stands regardless. I did very well on my first exam but did not do well on my second due to starting back to work after maternity leave and trying to fine the right mix. Don't get me wrong, it can definitely be done while working. I took organic chemistry at a local college, plus this, plus working, and plus being a mom and wife. I think I am going to edge out with a B assuming I did well on the final. I know I could have gotten an A if my plate was not so full. It does take a fair amount of studying as well.

Overall, I think this was an excellent class. The instructors were very responsive to emails and the online question forums. The live office hours and review sessions were great. The content is relevant for the MCAT.

I just wanted to post a review for those on the fence about taking the Spring online course. I know I had researched it a good bit prior to signing up and could not find a lot of information or reviews.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do medical schools actually take these online science courses into consideration?

UNE's biochemistry - which has at best mixed reviews - has roughly 60 percent acceptance by adcoms. The course quality there is reported as poor by those who don't like it.

HES' would likely garner a higher number.

OP biochem is typically seen as the hardest of prereqs. A B there at HES is probably a plus over someone without biochem

Members don't see this ad :)
UNE's biochemistry - which has at best mixed reviews - has roughly 60 percent acceptance by adcoms. The course quality there is reported as poor by those who don't like it.

HES' would likely garner a higher number.

OP biochem is typically seen as the hardest of prereqs. A B there at HES is probably a plus over someone without biochem
I worked pretty hard for the B because my plate was full!

I also read mixed reviews about UNE as well.

Reactions: 1 user