Has anyone got into medical school with <20 and a MS deg.(GPA>3.5), EC's and Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rfwhatznext

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for someone to be granted admissions into an Allopathic Medical school with sub-par MCAT score (11), but has a GPA 3.5 in Graduate School (MS in Biomedical Science, great EC's, volunteering, shadowing hours, and tons of research experience.
If not, Im planning to sign up for a prep course (Kaplan or TPR) and retake the MCATs in April and apply for the class of 2007. I really didnt prep for the exam and I wanted to test the waters (frigid). So, Let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

^^^^ what he said. Your 11 will not take you very far. Also, think about overseas, DO, etc.

Thanks for the reply back, My undergrad GPA was a 2.9. I also played collegiate football. So I wasnt able to give it my best. But, I have retaken all the medical school prereq classes like Bio I-II, G. Chem I-II, Physics I-II, and O. Chem I-II, and other upper graduate level science courses. I got all A's and B's (no C's) :) . I wanted to show the admissions comm. that by playing sports in college. It had an effect on my grades because of the time and dedication. I also wanted to show that I am very compotent in the sciences. I just have to bang out a good MCAT score. :thumbup:

If you got less than 20 on the mcat, you are not ready for medical school.

Advice to others: Take a practice exam before you decide to test the mcat waters. Any kaplan exam would have told you that you are not ready to drop a couple hundred dollars and take the test. An 11 is a huge black mark on your application.