Have I lost my residency for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gladiolus23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college last fall and am currently still applying for gap year jobs. In my time off, I volunteered, did a summer internship, and traveled. Unfortunately, I did not begin applying for jobs until this month. Until now, I've been claimed as a dependent on my parents tax returns. But I recently heard of a rule where you have to less than 19 years old or less then 24 years and studying in order to be claimed. Does this mean I've lost my current residency for med school purposes? Since I am not studying or working atm?

Members don't see this ad.

Unlikely, since you're still a financial dependent. But do check. Each state has its own rules for residency.

While traveling, you still had a permanent address and a place you call "home". You have a driver's license and are registered to vote? if you have had a "home" in the same state for many years and returned there during school breaks and will be returning there and making it your home base while looking for jobs, that may continue to be your state of residence but as DoktorMom says, do check with your state regarding the residency rules for medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Between all of the accounts you have and had banned too, your TX residency vs Virginia residency scheming/gaming is a constant theme.

Then again, so is your "How does this look to TOP medical schools", "Should I do XYZ to impress admission committees", "What if I *insert scheme/plan here* so that I *insert some gain you think is important* for medical school???" and finally some variation of the "MCAT problem/anxiety/etc, so I am rescheduling etc etc" for the last few years.

I'll answer your question though, worry about this when you actually apply, which by the looks of it, will be never.

Between all of the accounts you have and had banned too, your TX residency vs Virginia residency scheming/gaming is a constant theme.

Then again, so is your "How does this look to TOP medical schools", "Should I do XYZ to impress admission committees", "What if I *insert scheme/plan here* so that I *insert some gain you think is important* for medical school???" and finally some variation of the "MCAT problem/anxiety/etc, so I am rescheduling etc etc" for the last few years.

I'll answer your question though, worry about this when you actually apply, which by the looks of it, will be never.

I'm sorry, but it looks like you have a problem with me. I don't see anything wrong in the question I posted but I've noticed that you are consistently bothered by my posts. I'd urge you to use private chat or the report button and maybe we can work to solve the issue you're facing.

And well, I don't plan on waiting until 'never' to apply! I'll apply soon but it's probably wise to figure out this residency issue beforehand since most schools like to see at least a year of residency in order to be considered in-state somewhere.

Last edited:
While traveling, you still had a permanent address and a place you call "home". You have a driver's license and are registered to vote? if you have had a "home" in the same state for many years and returned there during school breaks and will be returning there and making it your home base while looking for jobs, that may continue to be your state of residence but as DoktorMom says, do check with your state regarding the residency rules for medical school.

Yes, I'm registered to vote here and have gone to school in the state. So, it is my home. But I was told the IRS rules state that adults over age 19 could not be claimed as a dependent unless they were in college. Do you think this rule could be different for admission purposes? I'm surprised this could be a hard and fast rule across the nation lol don't a lot of people move back home after college looking for a job?

Unlikely, since you're still a financial dependent. But do check. Each state has its own rules for residency.

If I'm working part-time, could I still be considered a financial dependent? I'll also check with my state but do you know if there is a general rule that says you have to be independent after age 19 if you're not in school? That was my understanding but now I'm questioning it :confused:

I believe that for most state schools, the residency status of a dependent student is tied to their parents'. The burden of proof for state residency would probably fall on your parents in that case (address, state of driver's license, state taxes, voter registration, etc.)--unless your parents have also been moving around a lot, you should be OK. Check with the schools though; some state medical schools have more criteria for residency (my friend moved to Hawaii when she was 11 and barely qualified as a HI resident!)

Yeah, I'll check with my state schools to make sure. And that's insane! Hawaii must be super stringent with their residency laws :eek:

Yes, I'm registered to vote here and have gone to school in the state. So, it is my home. But I was told the IRS rules state that adults over age 19 could not be claimed as a dependent unless they were in college. Do you think this rule could be different for admission purposes? I'm surprised this could be a hard and fast rule across the nation lol don't a lot of people move back home after college looking for a job?

Check with the school's website and if it is not helpful, check with the school itself. It is not so much about being a dependent.

I'm sorry, but it looks like you have a problem with me. I don't see anything wrong in the question I posted but I've noticed that you are consistently bothered by my posts. I'd urge you to use private chat or the report button and maybe we can work to solve the issue you're facing.

Yeah, I'll check with my state schools to make sure.

I find you more amusing then anything as you scheme and strive to get in, yet seemingly have a total lack of common sense. For example, why did you not check yourself the rules or contact the school to find out? There's also no need to report since most of your other 10+ accounts been banned already.

I'll also check with my state but do you know if there is a general rule that says you have to be independent after age 19 if you're not in school?

If only if the IRS had a website. Oh wait: https://www.irs.gov/

And well, I don't plan on waiting until 'never' to apply! I'll apply soon but it's probably wise to figure out this residency issue beforehand since most schools like to see at least a year of residency in order to be considered in-state somewhere.

Sounds good, I look forward to your topics over the next few years about how you are going to apply real soon.

I find you more amusing then anything as you scheme and strive to get in, yet seemingly have a total lack of common sense. For example, why did you not check yourself the rules or contact the school to find out? There's also no need to report since most of your other 10+ accounts been banned already.

Okay, so it looks like you've settled whatever issue you were facing with the mods? then, why do you still keep up with the hate? just move on lol well I guess a lot of SDNers have no common sense…otherwise, threads about Caribbean schools, BCPM rules, MCAT deadlines and application requirements wouldn't keep popping up :rolleyes: anyway, if you don't need to report any problems, then please let me ask the questions I want to ask. I'm flattered my profile has been so interesting to you, but really, you don't have to reply and waste your time. In the future, you can always ignore or report if you don't think it is relevant.
Sounds good, I look forward to your topics over the next few years about how you are going to apply real soon.

Sure, sounds great =]

Last edited:

Residency is not that complicated. You don't "lose" your residency when your parents stop claiming you, you simply have the choice to establish it wherever you want. If you have a driver's license and are registered to vote in that state, then that is your state of residence whether you travel or even temporarily move somewhere else (e.g., for school or the military).

ETA: Also, establishing residency in Hawaii is not difficult, especially or tuition purposes. I only lived there for a little while, but I could easily have gotten residency. I chose not to because I was leaving and have no desire to ever live there again.