Have I permanently ruined my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 20 Withdrawals, 5 Failures, and 5 A's - shocker!

Here's my story.

I never took college seriously after my second semester out of High School when I started working part-time (soon after full-time). I was caught up in the "change" I was receiving from working and wanted to splurge on going out with friends, getting myself a car, and buying whatever I wanted. My parents let me stay at home rent-free, gas paid for, and food always stocked if I stayed in school. So, after my first semester when I took 18 credit hours and made all A's, I made the mistake of getting a part-time job the very next semester to take a "break". Well, my managers loved my work ethic and I was almost instantly offered a promotion. Then the extra money got me, literally. After that, I stayed enrolled to maintain proof and would begin to withdraw whenever I missed so many classes or noticed my grade dropping towards failure. The 5 "F's" are where I stopped going and forgot to withdraw before the cutoff date.

Fast forward almost 3 years since my last withdrawal - I'm 23 years old and am no longer living at home, the act couldn't last forever before my parents figured it out. I've matured leagues since my last semester in community-college back in 2012. In these 3 years I've gotten tons of reality checks on how the world works. I've been passed up for promotions 3 times now because of not having a degree, and have seen people who I work 2x harder than pass me effortlessly. The constant struggle of bills has taught me the value of budgeting and why education is so important. If I could go back knowing what I know now, wow... how different would I change my life. It really hurts to have been young and stupid.

I'm now an Assistant Manager at a Pharmacy and have always wanted to go to Pharmacy school (my original plans). I love being called to the Pharmacy when the staff needs help and I know I would be happier pursuing it. I just thought after my mistakes I would never be able to go back because of my transcript blemishes. My parents have offered me a place back home to give me the opportunity to go back full-time and go on leave from my job. I currently have a little over 7k in savings and really want to begin school again right away when my lease ends this summer.

Would it be near impossible to get into a Pharmacy school 2 years down the road from now? Should I just pursue another career, I know my transcript will be seen when I apply, but I know I can work hard to make good grades and prove myself again. My question, would it be enough with that many W's?

Members don't see this ad.

There are some schools with academic forgiveness such as roseman. They don't take classes longer than five years.
I've had about five F's and was accepted into school( without academic forgiveness )

Let me add though, my science GPA was significantly higher than my overall GpA. I changed my major three times, and all the withdrawals and F's I recieved were not pharmacy prerequisite courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some schools that, if your GPA is lower than 3.0, will take the last 60 credits to calculate GPA. So no, you haven't ruined anything, but you need to get good grades from now on.

First, don't beat yourself to the ground. It is good that you realized your mistakes and you are willing to change. Actually, you story can be an important piece in your person statement and or in your interview if you ever think of going to pharmacy school. If you need a boost, you are still young at 23 years. I started my undergrad when I was 21 years and graduated with a degree in Biochemistry and Psychology. Took 2 years off school to work as a pharmacy technician. Good money, but that wasn't my goal. Beginning this fall, I will be starting pharmacy school at the University of Minnesota, and I am 28 years old now. Its never too late to go back to school. Get a plan. Anticipate what time you will want to start pharmacy school. Work with an advisor at a community college or a small university towards your path to pharmacy school. Start prepping your personal statement and study guides on the pcat. If you Start this fall, you will have about two years to finish your prerequisites. Get to know your professor and let them know your work so that you can secure a letter of recommendation from them. But now, you have to forget about the past and all the bad grades and withdrawals you have. You have a second chance. Proof to the Adcom that you are capable. And lastly, you should stay positive and aim high....Believe in yourself.

Retake the courses that you can to prove academic success. I assume you do not have a BS or BA. That would be key. Be sure to kick butt on any other pre-req courses and I think you will be fine given your leadership background!