Haven't heard from schools yet... help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted364973

svas

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

It's mid-December, and I've only heard back from one school (Hofstra.) I haven't gotten any other invites or rejections.

My AMCAS app was verified on 9/13 and my secondaries were complete by mid-September. I have a 3.9GPA in recent years, but my grades from my freshman year (in 1998!) bring it down to a 3.4 overall. I have a 32Q, research, clinical experience, and strong letters of recommendation. My only red flag is my disjointed undergraduate experience.

I've applied to all the schools in NYC, Long Island, NJ, Temple, Drexel, and UConn.

Has anyone else in the same boat (i.e. still waiting?) Is it time to panic?

Help!!!

Thanks.

I would definitely say it's time to worry and come up with new plans for next year (just incase). You have a GPA and MCAT far too low to just depend on a small handful of schools to which you've applied.

Last edited:
Hi.

It's mid-December, and I've only heard back from one school (Hofstra.) I haven't gotten any other invites or rejections.

My AMCAS app was verified on 9/13 and my secondaries were complete by mid-September. I have a 3.9GPA in recent years, but my grades from my freshman year (in 1998!) bring it down to a 3.4 overall. I have a 32Q, research, clinical experience, and strong letters of recommendation. My only red flag is my disjointed undergraduate experience.

I've applied to all the schools in NYC, Long Island, NJ, Temple, Drexel, and UConn.

Help!!!

Thanks.

There are several red flags in your application. First, your gpa is a little on the low side for most MD schools (average is about 3.6 overall). Second, you applied on the late side and that has probably not helped the fact that your gpa isn't where it should be. Your disjointed undergraduate experience shouldn't be too much of an issue if you have a good explanation for it. December is a bit late to only have one interview. I wouldn't panic, however, with that said, I would start considering other opportunities that will strengthen your application like a post bac or something and start preparing for reapplying next year. People will lower GPA's MUST MUST MUST apply early. You should have been verified in early June and your secondaries should have been in by the end of July. Don't cripple yourself by procrastinating. How many schools did you apply to? You should apply broad and wide. Maybe you should consider adding in D.O. schools to help your chances (D.O. schools generally have a lower GPA requirement at around 3.4 ish).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi.

Help!!!

Thanks.

You could apply to NYCOM (Westbury) or TouroCOM NY (Harlem). It seems NYCOM puts a lot of emphasis on MCAT scores and you have a solid score. I also believe that TouroCOM still is giving out automatic interviews if you're above their cutoff (which I believe you are). I attached their CIB info if you're interested.

Agree with the above and that you might want to be looking at plans for next year.

If you have to reapply, definitely make sure to apply early (aka ASAP). You didn't really talk about your ECs... do you have the "standard" stuff? What about your personal statement? LORs? I'm thinking there might be something wrong there.

A few questions
A) What are your ECs like?
C) What's your state of residency? (Most NYers don't apply to NJ schools by the way)

You only applied to 13 schools. 3 of them appear to be OOS state schools that take relatively few OOSers. Another 4 (NYU, MSSM, WCMC, Columbia) are highly competitive. You also applied late. For AECOM a September submission means they won't even look at your app until December or January. For Temple September submission is also very late. Essentially you are left with 3-4 schools that you are not "very late" for, and another couple of schools where you have some chance, albeit a lower one, due to your late application.

You still have a chance of getting in this year, but make sure you keep improving your activities to give yourself a better chance if you have to reapply next year.

Last edited:
Hi.

Help!!!

Thanks.

Actually, I have to contradict some posts above. I wouldn't worry too much until late January. I think most schools are just starting to review applications, which are "avg" by their admission standards (a category, which you and many others fit in). My statement is supported by previous experiences from many of my friends. Last year, one of them ended up with 5 interviews, three SUNYs, Albert Einstein, and Temple. However, his first interview was in the beginning of the new year (mid-January.) That said, I don't know when he received the actual invitations. He just told me the interview season for people with his stats starts in January.

Also, I wouldn't apply to any D.O. schools if I were you. You have already taken some years off for undergraduate education: one more year before medical school would not be unwise. M.D. degree has better chances of matching than D.O.

Good Luck

I respectfully disagree with most of the OPs as well. If you comb through the previous year's threads, invites continue to go out until early March with a few even extending into early April. And a 3.4 isn't a red flag. It's not on the sweet part of the curve but I've known quite a few people get in with similar numbers. Hope this helps!

I respectfully disagree with most of the OPs as well. If you comb through the previous year's threads, invites continue to go out until early March with a few even extending into early April. And a 3.4 isn't a red flag. It's not on the sweet part of the curve but I've known quite a few people get in with similar numbers. Hope this helps!

there is only one OP...

I'm in the same boat but my stats are slightly different. Higher GPA (3.90), slightly lower MCAT. 1 interview (U Hawaii) out of 24 schools

I'm worrying too but worrying isn't going to accomplish anything at this point. just make a back up plan and keep doing any ECs you've been doing.

Keep us updated, I know how rough it is....

:xf:
Thanks to everyone who responded...

This is the worst process EVER. I wish I had known how much torture it would be to just wait and wait, day after day, and had planned a year-long sabbatical somewhere to keep me distracted.
it sure is a nerve wracking process but all u need is that one interview. If you already went :xf: for the acceptance. if not prepare really really well for it. I know 1 interview kind of sucks but when I got my first interview I was super excited cus if that went well, that would have been the only interview i needed. :xf: for you