Healthcare...is it a "good/service" or an inalienable "right"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoosierdaddyO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the political season starts picking up, and it being a presidential election year and what not...was just curious about some of my colleagues in EM and what their opinion is on the matter. I couldn't help but listen to a Bernie sanders speech the other night where he was saying free healthcare for all, while that sounds good and sweet and caring (never mind how it's going to be paid for that fiscally speaking makes any sense)...I couldn't help but think for a second that he is auctioning off our knowledge and capabilities as if it's expected or some god given right that we in turn provide this free healthcare. While I'm all for those that are under or even unserved (my lifework supports this, created a nonprofit clinic before med school). I can't help but be curious what my fellow cohort feels about their services as a physician being controlled by bureaucrats, under the guise of it being an inalienable right...and are we essentially allowing us to open the door for indentured servitude :)?!

Ps I'm fairly independent...fiscally red, socially blue...it's just scary when politicians who honestly don't care about anything else other power and reelection have the ability to control our lives and autonomy!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The existing "rights" in our constitution are not material goods. Freedom of speech, freedom to bear arms, freedom of the press, freedom from wrongful imprisonment are all NEGATIVE rights, meaning they are things the government cannot do for you. There are no POSITIVE rights which say you are entitled to any material or service for free.

You don't have the right to food, housing, clothing, or water, so why would healthcare be a right when these other more essential things aren't guaranteed?

Any time you make a good or service produced by the labor of another human being a "right" then you are either going to have to resort to theft or indentured servitude to provide it.

Reactions: 9 users
No, it is not a right. It is a very costly service/commodity

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am generally the left leaning voice of "lets give to others" in any thread on SDN (where conversations skew so far right so quickly you'll be blown away); but healthcare is not a right. Which is.... a tough argument to make. The WHO/the UN have stated that it is. Though the WHO has been nice enough to tweak the phrasing a bit from its original declaration of access to healthcare being a human right. They now say (iirc) affordable access is a human right and greatly diminished their specificity as to what that means.

The AMA recently discussed this and decided against it for the very reason that 1) its a sticky as hell situation 2) if you study our healthcare system from a somewhat objective historical perspective we developed the best overall system as a byproduct of allowing it to become prohibitively expensive and now we dont want to give up that sense of excellence (really access and innovation are the metrics we dominate) and 3) all but the most careful of wording does make us human rights abusers. By not weighing in, we avoid having any influential body mimicing the WHO wording and ths putting us in a situation where letting health insurance lapse may be a human rights abuse.

I don't take the (very perverse to me) stance of the above posters that healthcare can become prohibitively expensive and "tough titties" if it prices you out. Not that they said it here, but Veers sort of implied it and I known sb247's opinion from other threads and it is a bit more nuanced than that but does include a tough titties clause ;). BUT, I fully agree that stating its a human right presents a conundrum that runs contradictory to the unique conditions that created the US healthcare system. Our system has never prioritized affordability until recently, and we have made it quite clear we wont compromise access or innovation. So while I'd love ways to increase access or trim costs in intelligent ways that target wasteful components.... thats done by creating a more efficient system and/or an insurance system which allows for more people to get more personalized coverage so that more have *some* coverage. But is access to healthcare a human right? Not in the US, and the best parts of our system benefit from that unfortunate acknowledgement. I like our system more than I like checking off some philosophic "box" that makes me feel good inside but screws our system.

Reactions: 2 users
You don't have the right to food, housing, clothing, or water, so why would healthcare be a right when these other more essential things aren't guaranteed?

I tend to agree, but let me present to you this difficult situation:

1. 18 year old male, whom you diagnose in the ED with metastatic testicular cancer, smoldering for weeks or more.
2. He is uninsured.
3. He otherwise has no immediate admission need (obstruction, infection, etc).
4. Hospitalist refuses to admit because Oncology will not see unfunded patients.
5. Oncology refuses to see him as an outpatient unless he can cash pay the thousands of dollars necessary or somehow come up with private insurance with this new diagnosis.

His only recourse is to wait for weeks to try and get some state medicaid approved and then await an open appointment at the county hospital fellow clinic... which as you can imagine is another long wait.

I will say that there are some things about our system that are FUBAR. We have a hard time relating to this because no one on this forum, nor any of our family members, will likely ever be put in this situation. Healthcare may not be a right but the fact that stuff like this happens today tells us how much the system needs to change.

Reactions: 3 users
Any time you make a good or service produced by the labor of another human being a "right" then you are either going to have to resort to theft or indentured servitude to provide it.

I want to put this on a t-shirt.

Unfortunately, bad stuff happens to good people. And we can't prevent/legislate against all of it.
People die. This hypothetical 18yr old drew a short straw. And as the population grows we can't make things rosy for everyone. 319 million people in the US...

I feel bad for people who have bad stuff happen to them by forces out of their control. Find me a way to deny medical care to the 3ppd smoker who keeps coming to the ED for COPD exacerbations, or the 24yr old who breaks both legs and his back showing off to his friends by trying to jump from the roof into the swimming pool, or the 40yr old drunk driver who wasn't wearing a seatbelt when he went into a concrete embankment, or the 80yr old A&O x 0 contracted demented patient with multiple decubitii who family insists on keeping alive in a nursing home even though they never go to visit them... I'll happily take all that wasted money and give it to this 18yr old for his cancer care.

Reactions: 8 users
Unfortunately, bad stuff happens to good people. And we can't prevent/legislate against all of it.
People die. This hypothetical 18yr old drew a short straw.

He's not hypothetical and I was a lot more sure I agreed with veers until I was the one that had to tell him his diagnosis and that no one would take care of him.

I'll happily take all that wasted money and give it to this 18yr old for his cancer care.

You have hit the nail on the head. The fact is that we spend too much money on care in this system. The way to fix a lot of this is for us to do less. Physicians need to be virtually immune from malpractice, resources should be diverted from repeat users (you cannot get another head CT even though you are drunk and hit your head again, and the day it turns out to be a subdural I didn't scan, too bad) and expensive and aggressive care cannot be an option for your 96 year old monther, sorry. No, you can't have chemotherapy, it's stage 4 pancreatic cancer. No, you can't send this LOL who fell out of bed at the SNF to the ED for the fourth time this month, and if it turns out she's got a head injury, then we'll have to deal with it when it becomes apparent later. Pharmaceutical lobbies and drug advertising should be eliminated altogether... Etc. the biggest hurdle to all of this is these are solutions that most of the American public do not want.

Reactions: 1 user
He's not hypothetical and I was a lot more sure I agreed with veers until I was the one that had to tell him his diagnosis and that no one would take care of him.

You have hit the nail on the head. The fact is that we spend too much money on care in this system. The way to fix a lot of this is for us to do less. Physicians need to be virtually immune from malpractice, resources should be diverted from repeat users (you cannot get another head CT even though you are drunk and hit your head again, and the day it turns out to be a subdural I didn't scan, too bad) and expensive and aggressive care cannot be an option for your 96 year old monther, sorry. No, you can't have chemotherapy, it's stage 4 pancreatic cancer. No, you can't send this LOL who fell out of bed at the SNF to the ED for the fourth time this month, and if it turns out she's got a head injury, then we'll have to deal with it when it becomes apparent later. Pharmaceutical lobbies and drug advertising should be eliminated altogether... Etc. the biggest hurdle to all of this is these are solutions that most of the American public do not want.
The solution is we stop trying to decide who gets what....it's not our right or place to take funds from people so we can then make moral judgements on who to give the seized funds to.

We don't tell anyone they "can't" have something, we tell people what things cost and they buy what they want/can....and if you or I meet a particularly compelling case, we can either donate our services or write the check, but we don't get assuage our pity with other people's money

The solution is we stop trying to decide who gets what....it's not our right or place to take funds from people so we can then make moral judgements on who to give the seized funds to.

We don't tell anyone they "can't" have something, we tell people what things cost and they buy what they want/can....and if you or I meet a particularly compelling case, we can either donate our services or write the check, but we don't get assuage our pity with other people's money

We should, however, hold the public to reasonable expectations. Did you pay $30,000 to Medicare? You don't get to spend a million on care that your doctors think is futile.

We don't bring unhealthy 80 year olds to the ICU. We don't try to do magic on stage IV pancreatic cancer on your 86 year old granny. We just let it go.

The public is just not educated enough to make these decisions. We have spent years to reach our level of understanding and we still don't get it right sometimes. The decisions for palliative care/hospice/DNR should be made by physicians, not patients (I know it is this way in some European countries). The exception would be if you are paying out of pocket then yeah go for it as long as a physician is willing to provide the service. But you don't get to bankrupt the system with your demented 90 year old parents.

We should, however, hold the public to reasonable expectations. Did you pay $30,000 to Medicare? You don't get to spend a million on care that your doctors think is futile.

We don't bring unhealthy 80 year olds to the ICU. We don't try to do magic on stage IV pancreatic cancer on your 86 year old granny. We just let it go.

The public is just not educated enough to make these decisions. We have spent years to reach our level of understanding and we still don't get it right sometimes. The decisions for palliative care/hospice/DNR should be made by physicians, not patients (I know it is this way in some European countries). The exception would be if you are paying out of pocket then yeah go for it as long as a physician is willing to provide the service. But you don't get to bankrupt the system with your demented 90 year old parents.
You aren't picking up what I'm putting down.....there shouldn't be a public system. Every patient, as the end guarantor, should make the decision after being informed of costs/risks/benefits of treatment options (one option is always to do nothing)

You aren't picking up what I'm putting down.....there shouldn't be a public system. Every patient, as the end guarantor, should make the decision after being informed of costs/risks/benefits of treatment options (one option is always to do nothing)
While I totally agree with you, as a devils advocate kind of thinking...we are all Americans, does a healthy American society overall mean a better workforce. We can't continue making strides in science and math and engineering if a certain percentage of our population is sick or dying...or can we lol?! And what role do physicians have if any at all?!

While I totally agree with you, as a devils advocate kind of thinking...we are all Americans, does a healthy American society overall mean a better workforce. We can't continue making strides in science and math and engineering if a certain percentage of our population is sick or dying...or can we lol?! And what role do physicians have if any at all?!
What role? To diagnose the disease and lay out the treatment options for the patient. We're not gods and shouldn't be trying to make those allocation decisions for society, it's not society's money.

What role? To diagnose the disease and lay out the treatment options for the patient. We're not gods and shouldn't be trying to make those allocation decisions for society, it's not society's money.

I agree with you. But since most people pay some money to social security at the very least they should be allowed to use that money as they see fit. After you overspend your contributions we have to sit down and go over your options. This is meant to control futile spending.

Having said that, I believe that poverty should not preclude care. People should not die because they are afraid of the hospital bill if they call 911.

Members don't see this ad :)

The fact of the matter is there are some things that happen somewhat commonly that are not affordable. Car accident. Surgery, 10 days in the ICU. Guess what, no one can afford that.

Cancer diagnosis of any type, what percentage of the population do you think can write a check for that course of diagnosis and care? And you are going to rely on the charity of dozens of doctors as well as private physician practices and hospitals to work for free every time this happens?

So although your all-too-simple solution of put the price on a poster and you pay or you get nothing is just that, all-too-simple, and it doesn't work.

With regard to this idea that we cannot tell patients what healthcare services they can and cannot have, once again I disagree. Most of us do this all the time. As an easily understood example, i.e.: not survivable SDH in a GCS 3 99 year old? Do we take that to the OR? No. I think there is no person more qualified to make this decision than the physician.

The fact of the matter is there are some things that happen somewhat commonly that are not affordable. Car accident. Surgery, 10 days in the ICU. Guess what, no one can afford that.

Cancer diagnosis of any type, what percentage of the population do you think can write a check for that course of diagnosis and care? And you are going to rely on the charity of dozens of doctors as well as private physician practices and hospitals to work for free every time this happens?

So although your all-too-simple solution of put the price on a poster and you pay or you get nothing is just that, all-too-simple, and it doesn't work.

With regard to this idea that we cannot tell patients what healthcare services they can and cannot have, once again I disagree. Most of us do this all the time. As an easily understood example, i.e.: not survivable SDH in a GCS 3 99 year old? Do we take that to the OR? No. I think there is no person more qualified to make this decision than the physician.
Those big ticket items are the reason for insurance, in the same way that most people can't right a check for their entire house if it burns down but they bought insurance so it gets rebuilt.

And yes, this concept absolutely would work. It has consequences but that doesn't mean it wouldn't function

I agree with you. But since most people pay some money to social security at the very least they should be allowed to use that money as they see fit. After you overspend your contributions we have to sit down and go over your options. This is meant to control futile spending.

Having said that, I believe that poverty should not preclude care. People should not die because they are afraid of the hospital bill if they call 911.
See, you can't agree that there should be no public system and end a post that way advocating for a public system.

See, you can't agree that there should be no public system and end a post that way advocating for a public system.

Maybe I was not clear enough.

There should be no public system supporting futile care.

At the same time I believe we should not let 40 year old people die of a STEMI because they cannot pay.

See, if we just stop providing futile care for the 90 year old demented gomer that can't talk, can't move, can't eat, can't ****... We would save a ton of money.

Maybe I was not clear enough.

There should be no public system supporting futile care.

At the same time I believe we should not let 40 year old people die of a STEMI because they cannot pay.

See, if we just stop providing futile care for the 90 year old demented gomer that can't talk, can't move, can't eat, can't ****... We would save a ton of money.
That makes more sense to me. When you said, "I agree" i thought you were advocating against a public system. You want one, you just want a different one with stricter rationing of care?

That makes more sense to me. When you said, "I agree" i thought you were advocating against a public system. You want one, you just want a different one with stricter rationing of care?

Yes.

There are many specialities out there that continue to treat even though care is futile. This occurs for many reasons, including but not limited to fear of legal reprocussions, billing/fees, tunnel vision and not seeing the whole picture etc... GI seems to be willing to put a PEG in anyone, even demented. 99 YO granny who stopped eating because, well, she's demented. Hemeonc seems willing to offer chemo to any cancer no matter how widespread/advanced.

The only specialty I've encountered that routinely says no to futile cases is nephrology. They have the balls to say "no, I am not putting this patient on dialysis; it isn't going to fix them and it's futile", and I totally respect them for it.

Reactions: 1 users

1. 18 year old male, whom you diagnose in the ED with metastatic testicular cancer, smoldering for weeks or more.
2. He is uninsured.
4. Hospitalist refuses to admit because Oncology will not see unfunded patients.
5. Oncology refuses to see him as an outpatient unless he can cash pay the thousands of dollars necessary or somehow come up with private insurance with this new diagnosis.

His only recourse is to wait for weeks to try and get some state medicaid approved and then await an open appointment at the county hospital fellow clinic... which as you can imagine is another long wait.

I will say that there are some things about our system that are FUBAR. We have a hard time relating to this because no one on this forum, nor any of our family members, will likely ever be put in this situation. Healthcare may not be a right but the fact that stuff like this happens today tells us how much the system needs to change.

He's 18, he should be insured. Does he not have a job? Does he not have parents with a job? He applies for medicaid and goes to city/county hospitals. This is the reality of the world. His story should be broadcast to the world, not as an example of a broken system, but an example of why 18 year olds need insurance. An example of how others trying to "game" the system can suffer. The entire system suffers because people like him/his parents try to game it. Well this is the fallout and I have little sympathy.

The reality is, as bad as I feel for the kid, *HE* is the reason why the insurance system is broken. Insurance only works when young people with low risk of anything except catastrophic illness are enrolled. And so many young people (and im talking well into the 30s) skip insurance because they think they are immortal and they think a small amount of money (which keeps the whole system afloat) is worth more than their entire life if they roll a bad lot in life. You know what. F*** him. He and his parents understand now why they should have had insurance from the start. They now get the medicaid system and get to look at the private insurance system with dewey eyes.

Its very hard for me to say it, but its true. Somewhere between him and his parents someone said they valued a couple hundred dollars a year over his life. And they lost a bet they placed on his livelihood.

I do not think healthcare is a right. Healthcare is largely the product of the labor of healthcare providers, allied professions, scientists, and administrators. Your rights can not extend to the labor of others.

Having said that, healthcare is a public service a modern government should provide to its people, much like it provides the services of the police and fire departments, military, etc. While there are ways to provide some of these services through private means (via insurance, for example) without involving the government, I think given how essential these services are, not just to individuals but to society as a whole, it should be a burden taken on by the government. And I trust the government to act in my interests a lot more than I do private insurance companies.

2. He is uninsured.

Bull****. You or your hospital didn't even try. Medicaid (which this is an eligible condition) can be backdated to day of admission. Any hospital worth their salt has at least one social worker who would start working on this instantly with admission.
Hospitalist isn't allowed to refuse to see the patient, there's a federal law that backs you up on that. They can refuse to admit, but a simple call to Admin can fix that.
If you're willing to berate us so much about this, I'm sure you went to your local news for the same to browbeat the place you actually work and not random quasi-anonymous strangers.

People always say this like its fact, when in fact it is not.

I can get my patients MRIs for $500, CT scans for $250, drugs for under $1 for a month's supply, labs under $10. I know of a place where a twin c-section with 4 day hospital stay is $9500 (other surgery is similarly inexpensive).

I can get my patients MRIs for $500, CT scans for $250, drugs for under $1 for a month's supply, labs under $10. I know of a place where a twin c-section with 4 day hospital stay is $9500 (other surgery is similarly inexpensive).

This is true. The world of cash medicine is a lot cheaper than the world of insurance medicine. But you have to work to find those prices and most people hate doing anything that inconveniences themselves in the least.

alternatively, just have people stop being freeloaders and invest some money into protecting their own health with a plan of any sort.

Not going to contribute much other than to say that the average before tax salary in the U.S. Is 50k. To say 10k for surgery is "inexpensive" is misguided. That's a fifth of a persons income in a given year. And the federal poverty level for a couple is 15k so you're literally using their entire years salary on a surgery if they don't have insurance. So while it may seem somewhat cheap to us, to the average person who doesn't have insurance, needing something like surgery can bankrupt them.

As far as the topic of right vs privilege, is it a right to bear arms or a privilege? Cause we definitely call it the first, but it can be taken away if you're a felon etc. it gets down to semantics. Do I think people should get care regardless of their ability to pay? Yes. To me, that makes it a right.

This is true. The world of cash medicine is a lot cheaper than the world of insurance medicine. But you have to work to find those prices and most people hate doing anything that inconveniences themselves in the least.

alternatively, just have people stop being freeloaders and invest some money into protecting their own health with a plan of any sort.
Me and doctors like me do this for you. I've spent many an afternoon calling around finding the best prices for my patients.

I've created a MONSTER with this thread lol!!!!

Not going to contribute much other than to say that the average before tax salary in the U.S. Is 50k. To say 10k for surgery is "inexpensive" is misguided. That's a fifth of a persons income in a given year. And the federal poverty level for a couple is 15k so you're literally using their entire years salary on a surgery if they don't have insurance. So while it may seem somewhat cheap to us, to the average person who doesn't have insurance, needing something like surgery can bankrupt them.

As far as the topic of right vs privilege, is it a right to bear arms or a privilege? Cause we definitely call it the first, but it can be taken away if you're a felon etc. it gets down to semantics. Do I think people should get care regardless of their ability to pay? Yes. To me, that makes it a right.
That's why God invented payment plans. My MA is uninsured and expecting. Her OB has her on a payment plan as does the hospital where she plans to deliver. Plus, you have 9 months to plan for this.

That same price I quoted was literally 4X as much when we filed our insurance for my wife's recent twin delivery.

I won't even get into positive versus negative rights here.

Whether it's a right or not, the current health care costs are obnoxious to the point of being ridiculous. Several thousands of dollars for a CT is absurd. As is several hundred dollars for basic labwork.

If we're not going to a universal medicare type model then prices need to be apparent and costs should not rely on "insurance" to be reasonable. The current health insurance model is, in my opinion, largely responsible for the current crisis of out of control and inflated costs.

It's not a right.

Yes, the system isn't working as currently designed. Anyone who thinks the fix is easy doesn't understand the problem.

Whether it's a right or not, the current health care costs are obnoxious to the point of being ridiculous. Several thousands of dollars for a CT is absurd. As is several hundred dollars for basic labwork.

If we're not going to a universal medicare type model then prices need to be apparent and costs should not rely on "insurance" to be reasonable. The current health insurance model is, in my opinion, largely responsible for the current crisis of out of control and inflated costs.
I'm ok with price lists. However, if the JC can argue that a sign saying you don't get narcotics for chronic pain is a deterrent, then surely they can say that a sign telling them a CT is $Texas, and the facility fee is $$$$ would be a deterrent.

Moving to the lounge

Hospitalist isn't allowed to refuse to see the patient, there's a federal law that backs you up on that. They can refuse to admit, but a simple call to Admin can fix that.

This. We can all agree hospitalists are bitches.

Healthcare is a service. Rights are things that you can do for yourself- being able to speak freely, defend yourself and your family, etc.

That doesn't make it a right, it makes it an entitlement.

Drop a man into the middle of nowhere. He has a "right" to whatever he gets there. Freedom to move, speak, believe. Freedom to defend himself. What is missing?? Is a freedom to have someone else do something else for him. Hell, he doesn't even have a right to be "healthy" - the germs be everywhere and he could fall out of a tree at any time. How could he then have any sort of concept of a "right" to "healthcare". The notion is preposterous and defies rational thought.

I've created a MONSTER with this thread lol!!!!

Yes, you did. And I think you should have sort of expected this, which is why I wish that we would discourage talk of religion and politics in the EM sub-forum. I certainly don't talk about religion and politics at work, and this is sort of like work (i.e. same kind of crowd).

To answer your question:

A majority of American physicians are fiscally conservative. According to one poll, 77% of male physicians and 69% of women identify that way. If you are asking anecdotal data, my personal experience confirms this: most physicians I've worked with seem to lean fiscally conservative. This thread and forum also indicate that to me.

I suspect there is a general drift toward fiscal conservatism as a medical student turns into a resident and then an attending, once the salary increases a lot and the physician pays more in taxes. (This poll shows that a majority of medical students are liberal, but I don't know if they broke it down to see what the breakdown is on social vs fiscal.)

This is a funny Onion article which I think would characterize many physicians (although hyperbolically so):

Fiscally I'm A Right-Wing Nutjob, But On Social Issues I'm ****ing Insanely Liberal

I think it makes obvious sense why physicians would lean fiscally conservative. I am very liberal, and vote Green Party (Dr. Jill Stein in this election cycle), and find Bernie Sanders to be the lesser of the evils. Yet, a part of me is also fearful that my salary will take a hard hit if Sanders were elected. Additionally, I joke that I am a Green Party liberal at heart, but my patients often push me to become Republican. This is because we see lots of patients abusing the system, and we ourselves are overworked, so this does start oneself to take a very negative opinion of the "lower segments of society." This must be acknowledged.

I work clinically in hickville but hold an academic position at an ivory tower institution. I joke that hickville pushes me to become conservative, whereas the ivory tower pulls me back to the liberal elitism I'm comfortable with.

Anyways, back to your actual question and more seriously: As for whether or not healthcare is a right or not, this is a hotly debated issue and since nobody here can speak for God or some higher power, nobody can claim absolute certainty on this issue. Instead, both sides argue their points based on what they believe.

Amongst Americans, the question is often about the Constitution (and the Declaration of Independence, which is often confused for the Constitution). In this regard, the Declaration of Independence states that all men have "unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness," whereas the Constitution argues for a purpose to "promote the general welfare." Liberals and conservatives disagree whether or not welfare, medicare, and/or universal healthcare would fall under the rubric of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" and the general welfare clause.

However, over U.S. law is international law, which recognizes the right of health. The right to healthcare is a universally recognized human right, so declared by the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which the United States is a signatory to. Additionally, the United States is a signatory of the World Health Assembly resolution 58.33, which also states the same.

The entire "free world" agrees to this, and the United States is pretty much the only country in this group *not* to provide universal health care coverage. In fact, we are dead last. We Americans tend to take human rights very seriously, especially when human rights abuses take place in other countries--especially those considered enemy states--so there is a strong argument for consistency. If we cite the UN Universal Declaration of Human rights when punishing other countries, then we ought to follow it ourselves.

Further, the United States is among the wealthiest countries in the world, if not THE wealthiest country in the world. If all these other Western countries with less resources than us can provide universal health coverage, then why can't we? Further, due to its inefficient patchwork system, the U.S. spends more than double what other Western countries do on healthcare. So, we spend way more, and get way less.

As for the expense, which the OP alluded to:

(never mind how it's going to be paid for that fiscally speaking makes any sense)

Proponents of universal healthcare (UHC) argue that UHC would actually be almost cost neutral or even save money for individual Americans. It is tempting to scoff at this idea, because how can one get something for nothing? Admittedly, government spending would have to increase to support UHC, to the tune of an estimated 70 billion dollars. (I am, however, seeing conflicting figures. I've seen a much higher amount here, to the cool tune of 562 billion dollars.)

However, what is meant by this claim--that Americans would actually *save* money through UHC--is that although government spending will increase (and thus Americans would pay more taxes to the government), Americans are already paying *more* to private insurance companies. So, there would be a net savings (paying more to the government but none to private insurance companies). The net savings for the people of the United States is estimated at 600 billion dollars. Subtracting the cost of higher taxation ($562 billion) and you are left with a net savings of some 38 billion dollars.

There is a desire to demonize the government, and I think a lot of that is justified. However, private insurance companies are a far greater evil. Further, going to a single payer system would save in all sorts of administrative costs. Right now, a whopping $294.3 billion is spent on administrative costs, or 31 cents out of every dollar spent on healthcare. In single payer systems, the percentage is much, much lower: 31% in USA vs 16.7% in Canada.

Further, it is not the case that the United States cannot afford universal healthcare. As stated above, the United States is among the richest countries in the world, if not the richest. The question is where we choose to spend that money. The military budget sits at a hefty 610 billion dollars, dwarfing that of every other country on earth (and more than the next seven countries COMBINED). Just the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq cost a whopping 4-6 trillion dollars.

The yearly price of 70 billion dollars could easily be subtracted from the 610 billion dollars given to the military, providing universal healthcare to all Americans--and the U.S. military would still spend way, way more than any other country on earth on its military.

As a physician, I realize that universal healthcare would probably result in the decrease of my salary. So, I have a personal reason to dislike this idea, even if I think it is the right thing to do. To be clear, I don't actually think doctors are paid too much. We are among the most educated and productive classes in society, and we should be compensated adequately for that.

Further, if doctor salaries decrease to bring them in line with other countries in the Western world, then education should also be free. After all, the high salary of US doctors contrasts with the huge amounts of student debt we acquire. On that note, I support free college for all, which would cost 62.6 billion dollars, which I also think should be taken from the military. In this regard, I support the bumper sticker-worthy saying:

"It will be a great day when our schools get all the money they need and the air force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber."

It is not then a question about whether we have the money or not, but where we are willing to spend it. Green Party sort of liberals would rather spend it on universal healthcare, education, humanitarian work, the environment, etc. While conservatives argue for fiscal conservatism, the reality is that they want to spend the same money but on the military. (The exception to this was Ron Paul.) The libertarian Rand Paul, for example, actually recently proposed a $76.5 billion increase in the military budget ($190 billion in two years). As the article notes:

In an olive branch to defense hawks hell-bent on curtailing his White House ambitions, the libertarian Senator introduced a budget amendment late Wednesday calling for a nearly $190 billion infusion to the defense budget over the next two years—a roughly 16 percent increase... Paul’s amendment brings him in line with his likely presidential primary rivals​

That 76.5 billion dollar could go to universal college, which costs 62.6 billion dollars. It is something interesting that conservative voters would often support military expenditures and costly wars, but not education or healthcare.

I think it is tempting to blame the 3-PPD smoker with end stage COPD for his own condition. Leaving aside the issue of smoking being prevalent in poverty stricken areas, we must ask about the five year old child with a life threatening illness whose parents did not pay for health insurance. It is an inconsistency to argue that the five year old should be covered ...

If that is truly the case, then would it not be "theft" to take your money in taxes to cover children? If one takes a consistently libertarian position, then one would have to deny healthcare to a child--even the five year old who comes down with cancer. After all, strict libertarians would want to deny public education to even school children. It takes taxes ("theft") to fund public elementary, junior high, and high schools. And, at one point in time in our history, children worked for a living, before progressive laws sought to ban child labor and endorse public education.

If it can be justified to take your money in taxes to pay for the child, then the matter has been established: it is sometimes justified to take your money in taxes to pay for the general welfare of your fellow human.

In a pure libertarian world, if someone's house burns down, the fire brigade would do nothing since the person failed to pay private fire insurance. In this situation, if you did not do due diligence and buy fire insurance, then you deserve for your house to burn down.

If the reasonable human agrees that in this scenario, the fire brigade should be a public service paid for by taxes, then how much more precious are lives than houses?

Look, we may not like universal health care or taxes because it will hurt us economically, but let's at least be honest about the reasons we don't like it, instead of hiding behind libertarianism, which I think is often used as a system of justification by rich people to hoard their wealth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Look, we may not like universal health care or taxes because it will hurt us economically, but let's at least be honest about the reasons we don't like it, instead of hiding behind libertarianism, which is nothing but the rich man's ethical justifications for hoarding on to his wealth, which he thinks he created by himself without any debt whatsoever to the society that produced him.

Given your tirade about the scapegoating of emotionally charged characters (obama phone lady) your ending is laughable.

There is no reason to scapegoat anyone or assign bad intentions to anyone.....I simply don't have a right to take your stuff from you and you don't have a right to take mine. The nobility of our intentions is irrelevant

Given your tirade about the scapegoating of emotionally charged characters (obama phone lady) your ending is laughable.

There is no reason to scapegoat anyone or assign bad intentions to anyone.....I simply don't have a right to take your stuff from you and you don't have a right to take mine. The nobility of our intentions is irrelevant

Hi sb247, I actually was editing my post before you replied. I took out the tirade part, because I did realize that I had fallen into the same trap of emotionality...and also realized that my post would come across as offensive. You are correct in calling me out for that, so thank you from that standpoint.

I agree with you that I don't have the right to take your stuff, but the government does. It is from these taxes that we get public roads, public education for school children, etc.

Do you believe in public education for school-aged children? Or should they work in factories if their families cannot afford to put them in schools?

Hi Angry bird...honestly TLDR your post but to be fair, life is politics and politics is life...and I'm pretty sure I can post what I want and wherever I want it...I could be mistaken but that's my god given right :)...or my governments given one, I get confused every now and again.

Hi Angry bird...honestly TLDR your post but to be fair, life is politics and politics is life...and I'm pretty sure I can post what I want and wherever I want it...I could be mistaken but that's my god given right :)...or my governments given one, I get confused every now and again.

Fair enough.

You didn't even see my post, did you?

Just for the record, some of my favorite posters on this forum are conservative (as in real life). I hope we can discuss this issue without getting personal, and I apologize if I did so in my diatribe above.

These sorts of religion and politics issues should not get in the way of friendships or mutual respect, in my opinion!

Hi sb247, I actually was editing my post before you replied. I took out the tirade part, because I did realize that I had fallen into the same trap of emotionality...and also realized that my post would come across as offensive. You are correct in calling me out for that, so thank you from that standpoint.

I agree with you that I don't have the right to take your stuff, but the government does. It is from these taxes that we get public roads, public education for school children, etc.

Do you believe in public education for school-aged children? Or should they work in factories if their families cannot afford to put them in schools?

Even the government doesn't have that right.

Though it does have a right to collect certain taxes. Not all tax is theft. Excise tax and tariff all day. Fund what you want. Threatening to put someone in jail if they don't hand over their stuff is extortion and theft.

I'm willing to guess Med students turn from overall liberal to overall conservative once the clock starts ticking and those loans they've been living on for 4 years start coming due. Easy to argue for all these "rights" when you aren't paying for them.

I'm willing to guess Med students turn from overall liberal to overall conservative once the clock starts ticking and those loans they've been living on for 4 years start coming due. Easy to argue for all these "rights" when you aren't paying for them.

Agreed. It may indeed be easy to argue for these rights when you aren't paying for them. But, it is also convenient to turn libertarian when one acquires wealth.

Even the government doesn't have that right.

Though it does have a right to collect certain taxes. Not all tax is theft. Excise tax and tariff all day. Fund what you want. Threatening to put someone in jail if they don't hand over their stuff is extortion and theft.

1) Can you explain the difference between excise taxes / tariffs and other taxes from your perspective? (Honest question.)

2) Can you answer the following question specifically instead of vaguely: Do you believe in public education for school-aged children? (If so, is this from excise taxes / tariffs alone that this is possible?) Or should they work in factories if their families cannot afford to put them in schools?

1) Can you explain the difference between excise taxes / tariffs and other taxes from your perspective? (Honest question.)

2) Can you answer the following question specifically instead of vaguely: Do you believe in public education for school-aged children? (If so, is this from excise taxes / tariffs alone that this is possible?) Or should they work in factories if their families cannot afford to put them in schools?

Income tax is a theft of property. Wages are property. An excise tax or tariff is are sources of revenue that are paid when engaging in an activity such as any sale or buying of a specific good, like alcohol or cigarettes. A toll on a bridge is a kind of this sort of tax. You choose to buy then pay the excise. Alternatively, you choose to sell your product in the country and you pay the tariff (Yay for foreigners helping keep our kids out of the factory). One you have a choice and the other you pay or you go to jail and then you still usually pay. It's not ethical (or moral).

I like kids going to school - private school. If I had my way there would be no public education, but there it is - though that is a discussion for another day with plenty of nuanced points. To your point though, we could pay for public education with excise taxes and tariffs, if we really wanted. The situation is not either steal what is mine or kids work in a factory (zomgexclamationpoint). That's some kind of emotional appeal coupled to a clear logical fallacy.

I think calling something "a right" is purposefully using a useless, ambiguous, and charged word to inflame emotional arguments for the purpose of generating political support. I do think it's embarrassing that we live in a country with such excess on one end of the spectrum while at the same time having a dearth of basic medical care for the poor and I would make similar arguments about food and housing. If it's a good/service, then treat it like one. Open the US to foreign trained physicians with minimal barriers to entry. Allow direct to consumer access for basically all testing and medications. If I can get a will for $20, why can't I take my chances with a computer program and a trip the pharmacy for a chest x-ray and antibiotics without asking a physician for their opinion. Why can't I get my medical care for $15 over a webcam from China? I get my shirts from China, might as well get my healthcare too if it's just a commodity. Imagine how cheap we could get healthcare if we really treated it like a commodity. But no one argues for that, everyone wants this nonsense middle ground where it's so regulated as to be prohibitively expensive for many and at the same time provide minimal social support to those who need it.