Healthcare management unpaid internship opportunity....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qwerty2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been applying to medical-related part time jobs (unsuccessfully) and I came across an unpaid internship at a healthcare management firm, which deals with the development and management of health clinics around the city. This is completely different than any of my previous volunteering/internship/job experiences and I am genuinely curious about how healthcare administration works I think it would be a great way to explore healthcare in a non-clinical capacity. That being said, would this seem unusual to adcom members since this is partly business management related and not solely clinical? (I am not sure if I would ever pursue an MPH, in addition to MD).

Thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been applying to medical-related part time jobs (unsuccessfully) and I came across an unpaid internship at a healthcare management firm, which deals with the development and management of health clinics around the city. This is completely different than any of my previous volunteering/internship/job experiences and I am genuinely curious about how healthcare administration works I think it would be a great way to explore healthcare in a non-clinical capacity. That being said, would this seem unusual to adcom members since this is partly business management related and not solely clinical? (I am not sure if I would ever pursue an MPH, in addition to MD).

Thanks!!! :)

More than half of all med school applicants are unsuccessful in a given cycle and some applicants apply multiple times without success. While we hope that is not the case for you, if medicine is not in the cards for you, how will you know what other careers might be attractive? And if you do become a physician, could you imagine yourself in a position of leadership in the management of your clinical group. There is a need for clinicians to be involved in management of academic practices, clinics for the underserved, and big corporate health care organizations. You might not know this is right for you unless you try it.