Help~ any recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoonShiNe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated in May from undergrad,
and decided to take the MCAT next April, that is april '06..
So now I'm trying to get a job (for 2 yrs) that will look great on my application, I guess it basically comes down to either Hospital or Lab, but I'm not sure which I should go for..
Does anyone know which one will look better? what position I should apply for? or any recommendations for places in New york that I can apply?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Both are good options but I'm not sure which would help you stand out more. If you're applying to a research school definitely try out a lab. Most pre-meds have done one or the other to some degree. I did both. I'd say either option is good, but really go where your interest is. Don't go into a lab and emerge 2 years later with carpal tunnel from all the mol bio stuff unless you really enjoy it.

If you like research, you could get a job in a lab somewhere, and then volunteer at a hospital a few hours a week. It would be harder to do the vice versa. That way you could get both clinical and research experience. NIH has some postbac research fellowships that you can apply for. You could also try contacting professors directly in your area of interest.

That being said, you do have two years, so if theres something else youve always wanted to do, this is the time to do break out of the premed grind and do it. Bottom line: adcoms love passion.