Help in choosing between Dartmouth and UW-Madison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which schools would you choose?

• University of Wisconsin - Madison

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Dartmouth

Votes: 18 56.3%

• Total voters

xadmin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into Dartmouth and University of Wisconsin Madison. I am an out of stater for both schools since I am from the west coast. I liked both schools and I was very impressed with UW-Madison's facility. However, it might be cheaper for me to go to Dartmouth since they are a private school and there might be a small amount of scholarship. Please help me decide.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm torn on this one. Still gonna wait for aid from Dartmouth before I make any final calls. But since I'm instate for Madison, its gonna be tough.

My end goal is to make it to a coast at some point in this process -- whether it be for med school, residency or fellowship. Dartmouth would facilitate that better for me, as would (seemingly) anywhere but Wisconsin based on match lists. Tough call . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
crazyvladif said:
I'm torn on this one. Still gonna wait for aid from Dartmouth before I make any final calls. But since I'm instate for Madison, its gonna be tough.

My end goal is to make it to a coast at some point in this process -- whether it be for med school, residency or fellowship. Dartmouth would facilitate that better for me, as would (seemingly) anywhere but Wisconsin based on match lists. Tough call . . .

Thanks for the advice so far people. Please give me more of your opinions :). Crazyvladif, since you are in state and have a home there, plus the instate tuition, I would think Wisconsin is a clear choice for you.

I am out of state for these two schools and these two choices will be tough for me. So far, I really liked UW-Madison's facilities. They are amazing! However, I am drawn to Dartmouth for the lower tuition. Plus, so far it seems to be more fun at UW-Madison since it is a college town vs. Hanover which is a very rural area.

Think about the personality of the school .

Which one did you feel more drawn to? Saw yourself the happiest?

The money really becomes irrelivant. You have an epiphany at soem point that you are going to owe a crap load (and when it comes to deferment and consolodating in residency owing less can screw you). You will make money as an MD unless you drink/gamble/snort your money away. Loans are noninheritable so if you die or become incapacitated, they go away, your family doesn't have to pay them.

Go to the school where you see yoursel fthe happiest. Med school is very stressful, even with the most low key personalities in med school. so you should pick a place that you like the most.

and madison is a geat city .