This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied to PhD programs in Developmental and Educational Psychology, but have only gotten offers for master's programs so far. I have an offer from the Lynch School in Applied Developmental and Educational Psychology, one from HGSE in Human Development and Psychology, and one from TC in Clinical Psychology. I have no idea which one to decide on since I had aimed for a PhD program.
Does anyone know which program is more likely to increase my chance of PhD admission for next year? I have just received my master's in Philosophy from Brown and don't really know about the general quality of courses or research opportunities at any of the three programs I have been admitted to.
I would really appreciate your feedback on any of the three programs.
Thanks.

I have not heard of any of these schools. Could you please say what the initials stand for? Where are they located?

Thanks,
Dr. E

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to PhD programs in Developmental and Educational Psychology, but have only gotten offers for master's programs so far. I have an offer from the Lynch School in Applied Developmental and Educational Psychology, one from HGSE in Human Development and Psychology, and one from TC in Clinical Psychology. I have no idea which one to decide on since I had aimed for a PhD program.
Does anyone know which program is more likely to increase my chance of PhD admission for next year? I have just received my master's in Philosophy from Brown and don't really know about the general quality of courses or research opportunities at any of the three programs I have been admitted to.
I would really appreciate your feedback on any of the three programs.
Thanks.
Lynch School = Boston College School of Education
I attended the mental health counseling MA program at the Lynch School and there was ample opportunity to join research teams and receive guidance about PhD admissions. I know that most of my cohort who took advantage of these resources were granted admittance to funded doctoral programs.
The applied developmental track is in the same department and I would imagine the experience would be similar. Also, there are some assistantships available if you are willing to go outside of the department.

Members don't see this ad :)
TC is Columbia's school of education - Teacher's College
Lynch is Boston College school of education
HGSE is the Harvard Graduate School of Education

What do you guys think? The clock is ticking. I am leaning towards Roosevelt but thought I would ask the vast Internets first... :cool:

Anyone have opinions?[/QUOTE]

...I would honestly go for Roosevelt. The class sizes are small, it's a competitive program and had decent internship match rates. As far as the cost, 20,000/yr. really isn't that bad compared to some other for-profit psy.d programs (ahem* Chicago School). If you play your cards right, you will eventually make enough money as a psychologist to pay off the loans.

It sounds like you are leaning towards Roosevelt anyway, but...

Even though it is probably not wise to go with the 3 + 1 format, DU still starts practicum in the first year. That way if you go with the 4 + 1 you will have a lot of clinical hours when you apply for internship. Which is a huge advantage over other programs. Plus their APA internship match rates a pretty good for PSYD (93% for 2011) and they have been accredited since 1979. Just wanted to give a couple of Pros for Denver.

I don't know much about Roosevelt because I didn't apply there, but I applied and accepted my offer to DU.

It sounds like you are leaning towards Roosevelt anyway, but...

Even though it is probably not wise to go with the 3 + 1 format, DU still starts practicum in the first year. That way if you go with the 4 + 1 you will have a lot of clinical hours when you apply for internship. Which is a huge advantage over other programs. Plus their APA internship match rates a pretty good for PSYD (93% for 2011) and they have been accredited since 1979. Just wanted to give a couple of Pros for Denver.

I don't know much about Roosevelt because I didn't apply there, but I applied and accepted my offer to DU.

I know a faculty member at DU (PsyD) who I have a great deal of respect for, and everything I've seen/heard, both ancedotally and data-wise, seems to indicate that it offers very solid training and does a very good job of matching students to APA-accredited sites (I believe they have some captive internship slots). With all that being said, the debt you would get in at DU would be enormous--and I'd calculate it based on 4+1--which makes it *really* hard to recommend that route. While the debt you'd get in it Roosevelt is still quite high, it sounds like it would be significantly less (half or less), which is a *significant* plus in the equation.

Also, merged with the mega-thread.

actually, its ms. soon-to-be-psychologist ( lol this reminds me of friends). when i went to the interview orientation, they pretty much grilled it into our minds that they are very research based. i also do not like the clinical- community component of the program. though the campus was nice, i did not get a good feel from being there. i didnt really like the location and couldnt really see myself living there.

ok so I didn't get into the wright institute. so its really between la verne and alliant now. i think i'm going to go to alliant, get my masters (because you get it on the way anyway) and then apply again to PGSP, the wright institute, and pepperdine (you need a masters to apply here).
thoughts?

ok so I didn't get into the wright institute. so its really between la verne and alliant now. i think i'm going to go to alliant, get my masters (because you get it on the way anyway) and then apply again to PGSP, the wright institute, and pepperdine (you need a masters to apply here).
thoughts?

Several of the faculty members from my program are now on faculty at Alliant and one of them is the Chairman of one of the campuses. I almost transferred to Alliant at one point in time but they would only accept 25 of my 65 credit hours. This is one thing you need to be aware of when going into a program with a MS degree that is a doctoral program. They will only transfer in so many hours so you basically are doing your MS degree over to some extent and repeating some courses. If you really want to get the doctoral degree it is much better to stick with one program and both of those programs are APA accredited and have as good or better reputation as The Wright Institute and Pepperdine.

Several of the faculty members from my program are now on faculty at Alliant and one of them is the Chairman of one of the campuses. I almost transferred to Alliant at one point in time but they would only accept 25 of my 65 credit hours. This is one thing you need to be aware of when going into a program with a MS degree that is a doctoral program. They will only transfer in so many hours so you basically are doing your MS degree over to some extent and repeating some courses. If you really want to get the doctoral degree it is much better to stick with one program and both of those programs are APA accredited and have as good or better reputation as The Wright Institute and Pepperdine.

I'd highly disagree that Alliant has a better rep than the Wright Institute or especially Pepperdine in general.

I'd highly disagree that Alliant has a better rep than the Wright Institute or especially Pepperdine in general.

Maybe he should hold out a year and reapply if he really wants to attend a program with a high reputation. Where I live there a many licensed psychologist who graduated from Alliant and they were very happy with their experience and they are now successful psychologists. I am not an expert but my guess is that there are only a few programs with very high reputations, a large number of quality programs, and some not so favorable programs. Still, students report positive experiences and develop competence and licensure across the spectrum of programs. However, not everyone can attend Purdue, UNC, KU, or some of the other top programs. This particular student is interested in PsyD programs so Alliant would most likely be an acceptable option to meet his needs.

you need a masters degree to apply to pepperdine

Members don't see this ad :)
you need a masters degree to apply to pepperdine

Looking at Pepperdine's program, it is a three year program with the fourth year being internship. Looking at their curriculum you will probably be taking courses over since you already would have a MS in psychology from Alliant. Interesting, since others are saying how bad of a reputation that Alliant or rather the California School of Professional Psychology is, Pepperdine has three faculty members from Alliant, two with PsyD and one with a PhD from when it was called International University of San Diego. From looking at the websites, Pepperdine looks to be very similar to Alliant with similar programs.

Well I think I know the response I will get judging from others on the forum but have to throw it out there...Roosevelt University or The Chicago School for clinical PsyD? I've been accepted to both, it's crunch time and I'm unsure...what concerns me about Roosevelt is that only CBT and psychodynamic interventions are offered...what about humanistic, systems, etc? From someone who is yet unsure of my theoretical orientation I'm concerned with the lack of exposure. Any advice is appreciated!

I am having trouble deciding between two university based Psy.D. programs. Can anyone help me? I am deciding between La Salle and Widener. I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!

thoughts?

I believe Pepperdine has a masters program as well. I don't know if it's too late to apply :(

I am wondering if anyone out there has any opinion about University of South Carolina's Clinical-Community Psychology PhD program. I am not from the South but considering going there and wondering about its reputation.

Any insights would be really helpful!

Last edited:
I am having trouble deciding between two university based Psy.D. programs. Can anyone help me? I am deciding between La Salle and Widener. I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!

A big plus for Widener is the captive, APA-accred internship. That's a *huge* boon, especially in this day and age. If there's no sig. cost difference (IIRC, they are both unfunded, right?), I'd choose Widener, although both are fairly well-respected programs.

TC is Columbia's school of education - Teacher's College
Lynch is Boston College school of education
HGSE is the Harvard Graduate School of Education

Dept of Ed /Schools of Ed are notorious for allowing large cohorts ($$ for universities), so you'll want to make sure thy maintain a high level of training. I'd ask each program for hard data on how many of their students went on to a PhD program following their MA/MS program. If they say, "that is always an option..." but they don't/can't answer you, I'd consider that a big red flag. If a PhD is your endgoal, you should only consider MA/MS programs that have a proven record of developing competitive applicants who secure spots in PhD programs.

A big plus for Widener is the captive, APA-accred internship. That's a *huge* boon, especially in this day and age. If there's no sig. cost difference (IIRC, they are both unfunded, right?), I'd choose Widener, although both are fairly well-respected programs.

Thanks very much for your response! Yes, the captive internship is a HUGE plus for me because I would like to stay in the Philadelphia area. Yes - both unfunded. Thanks for your response!

Any thoughts on Southern Illinois University Carbondale's Counseling Psyc PhD program? Good or bad?

Im trying to decide between three program Carlos Albuizu in Miami, Nova Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale- davie, and Florida Institute of technology in Melbourne
all are florida schools and I was to a clinical Psy. D if anyone has any input it would be super helpful , I cant decide -__-

Im trying to decide between three program Carlos Albuizu in Miami, Nova Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale- davie, and Florida Institute of technology in Melbourne
all are florida schools and I was to a clinical Psy. D if anyone has any input it would be super helpful , I cant decide -__-

From my understanding, whatever that is worth, Carlos Albuizu seems to have the lower of the reputations. Both Nova and FIT seem pretty decent however with the larger cohort at Nova, if you aren't going into one of their concentrations you're liable to get lost in the crowd and in that case FIT may be better.

I'm in the process of deciding between Nova and FIT as well. The environment at FIT seems very close, which is nice. However, I am leaning toward Nova as I've been accepted into one the concentrations already, would like to have my career continue in south florida so it would give me the opportunity to network, and I can live rent free at my brothers house which will save a ton of money.

Anyone else have any other thoughts I'd love to hear them as well.

From my understanding, whatever that is worth, Carlos Albuizu seems to have the lower of the reputations. Both Nova and FIT seem pretty decent however with the larger cohort at Nova, if you aren't going into one of their concentrations you're liable to get lost in the crowd and in that case FIT may be better.

I'm in the process of deciding between Nova and FIT as well. The environment at FIT seems very close, which is nice. However, I am leaning toward Nova as I've been accepted into one the concentrations already, would like to have my career continue in south florida so it would give me the opportunity to network, and I can live rent free at my brothers house which will save a ton of money.

Anyone else have any other thoughts I'd love to hear them as well.

I would agree that, from what I remember of seeing the internship match #'s alone, FIT and Nova both seem to be on a higher "tier" than Carlos Albuizu. I've worked with people from both FIT and Nova, and both were great clinicians; beyond that, I can't really offer much insight. I think Nova might have larger cohorts, though, so that might factor into your decision. Also, obviously, if either is offering any type of financial assistance and/or one would be significantly more expensive than the other, that could be a deciding point.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the explicit "specialty track" idea at the grad school level, so that might bias me away from Nova a bit. I know the upper-tier of Nova students tend to do well overall, but I believe T4C has said it's very possible to "fall through the cracks" there in terms of time with advisor, placements, etc., if you don't do a good job of self-advocating and separating yourself from the pack early on.

I believe someone had interest in the Wright Institute but they were not accepted. I am not sure if this means anything but it is just additional information. The Wright Institute has a predoctoral internship consortium and they are advertising in the postmatch site for a Health Psychology internship at medical facilities for the undeserved population. It is an unpaid internship through Cappic. It may be that the reason they have openings is that many of their students go to APA accredited internship. It sounds like an excellent internship opportunity except for being an unpaid internship.

UCSB combined clinical, counseling, school PhD (emphasis in Clinical) vs Georgia State University Clinical PhD (neuropsych emphasis)??

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble deciding between two programs. I've been accepted to the PhD School Psych. program at TWU in Denton, TX and also the M.A. program of I/O Psych. at the University of Tulsa. The thought of being a school psychologist sounds better in principle, but the M.A. in I/O would be half the time, and quite possibly just as much financial compensation upon finishing the program (as far as I know). School psych. would be a longer and harder road, but opens more doors for the future too. Anybody have an opinion?

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble deciding between two programs. I've been accepted to the PhD School Psych. program at TWU in Denton, TX and also the M.A. program of I/O Psych. at the University of Tulsa. The thought of being a school psychologist sounds better in principle, but the M.A. in I/O would be half the time, and quite possibly just as much financial compensation upon finishing the program (as far as I know). School psych. would be a longer and harder road, but opens more doors for the future too. Anybody have an opinion?

I'd think you'd be doing two very different types of work in two very different settings with those degrees. Do you have any sort of preference in that respect?

When I consider the work I'd be doing in each setting, my initial thought is that I would enjoy working in a school district more. I'd like the school schedule, working with kids, and the assessment aspect of it (was initially clinical in interest, currently working as a psych. tech.). I'm simply not as familiar, however, with the Masters level work I would be doing in I/O. Consulting for a business of some kind, I'm sure. I've never worked as much in a business setting as an educational or clinical setting, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like it. I'm just a bit ignorant to the actual work I'd be doing upon finishing the program. I've met a lot of people who are pretty jaded after going the doctoral route, despite the better opportunities therein. I'm simply toying with the idea that two years instead of six (with a potentially equal paycheck) might be a better option, even if I'm only slightly interested in the work instead of very.

Would you take an offer if there is no written statement of the funding benefits, only a verbal discussion/confirmation with the DCT?

Hey guys,

I know some about the School Psychology Program at TWU. I was interested in the PhD program a number of years ago but I had already worked a number of years in School Psychology with the EdS degree so I opted to go into a clinical psychology PsyD program instead. However, I have taken some courses at TWU in the school psychology program mostly in neuropsychology and rehabilitation. If you want to specialize in neuropsychology there is a specialization in neuropsychology and many of their graduates are neuropsychologist working in Children's Hospitals.

They have recently applied for APA accreditation and I see them as gaining accreditation this year. Their graduates at the PhD level normally are matched at APA accredited internships. One plus is they have ongoing active research and every year they have a seminar where there students present their research. Dr. Dan Miller is the Chairperson and he is the known worldwide for his visionary concepts in neuropsychology. Regretfully, considering hindsight, I wish I had gone to the School Psychology Program at TWU back in the early 2000's. The TWU faculty is well known in the areas of Autism and Neuropsychology and when they become APA accredited it will only help more so with being one of the top School Psychology training program. I definitely would chose the TWU program over the I/O program at University of Tulsa. Most of the School Psychology Students that were in the TWU program when I applied were actually already working as School Psychologist with the Ed.S degree so they finished up their PhD in less than three years. Most of their courses were in the early evening at that time. They have excellent practicums sites at schools and childrens hospitals in Dallas-Fort Worth area. I believe now, many of their students are younger and have not worked as school psychologists, but they still finish their coursework in less than five years. I believe their PhD is something around 120 credit hours, and from the five classes that I have taken at TWU the academic workload was fairly intensive in comparison with my PsyD courses at a different University.

Last edited:
Roosevelt University PsyD in Clinical Psychology or La Salle University PsyD in Clinical Psychology HELP

Thank you! I am actually deciding between La Salle and Roosevelt now. Thoughts?

Sorry, elpsyd. I think you're getting a lot of these kinds of replies because this forum has been inundated with lots of threads asking "should I go to X program or Y program?" Many times, the programs in question are large, free-standing professional schools (as is the case with your thread). There are, quite frankly, problems with the models of these programs, at least in the mind of many of us psych students, even some of those who attend these schools.

For your case, I would look up a few things about each of these programs to inform your decision.

1. What is the cohort size? If the cohorts are large, you won't get any individualized attention from profs; working one-on-one with them will be pretty much an impossibility. I believe I have seen that the Chicago school admits up to 100 students each year. This is gigantic...more students than the market can take.

2. What are the rates of placing students in APA accredited internships? Every school is required to list this somewhere on their website. Make sure you look at the APA/CPA accredited rates, because anything less than an APA accredited spot will restrict your career. If you have questions about what these rates mean, try checking out the occupy the imbalance thread.

3. How much is it going to cost to get this degree? The median psychologist's salary is 65K. A good rule of thumb for academic debt is not to take out more in loans than you can make in your first job. Are you likely to take out more than 65K in loans to go to these schools?

I am deciding between Roosevelt PsyD in Chicago and La Salle PsyD in Philly. Thoughts? I need all the advice I can get! HELP

I am deciding between Roosevelt PsyD in Chicago and La Salle PsyD in Philly. Thoughts? I need all the advice I can get! HELP

I realize some of the posts here are not very helpful for those asking about professional schools--but ultimately this is what you're deciding between and that's what works for you. My suggestion with these two schools--take a look at their internship outcomes, attrition, and training curriculum. The one with the most promising outcomes interms of APA accredited internships, less attrition, and a training curriculum you are most comfortable with---that's the one I would go for. Also, take the cost of the program into account, as well as any funding you may (but probably will not) receive. Just from glancing at the outcomes, roosevelt looks more promising--it also mentions something about offering graduate assistantships (which is also good in comparison to la salle).

Here are the outcomes for Roosevelt: http://www.roosevelt.edu/CAS/Programs/Psychology/PsyD/Accreditation.aspx

Here are the outcomes for La Salle:
http://www.lasalle.edu/grad/content/doc_psych/psyd_stats.pdf

Ultimately this is your decision. Which program YOU feel most comfortable going to. You're going to have to go through 5+ years and if I, or anyone gives you a definite answer and you're not happy with the choice, you WILL blame us. On the other hand, if you make the choice yourself, you will be more likely to follow through with it, even during the tough times.

Good luck :)

Wow you're incredibly helpful thank you.

LaSalle isn't a professional school. I have great respect for it actually, having presented next to LaSalle students at conferences.

Roosevelt isn't a professional school either--but in elpsyd's earlier posts, he was deciding between two professional schools, so maybe that's what g0708 was referring to :).

Roosevelt isn't a professional school either--but in elpsyd's earlier posts, he was deciding between two professional schools, so maybe that's what g0708 was referring to :).

PsyD as a DEGREE is considered a professional degree. I was under the impression (and correct me if I'm wrong) that PhD's are the highest level of an "academic degree"--with the doctorate actually being the PHILOSOPHY of something (eg. PhD in Psychology, Pharmacology, etc) while a doctorates in something (like MD, PsyD, PharmD, JD) were considered professional degrees--degrees that prepare you for a career that typically requires a license to practice the profession stated by the degree specifically. I think this distinction has to do with the amount of research and theory required vs. actual practice and experience. Like say a PharmD, will likely (not always) work in a pharmacy post graduation, whereas someone with a PhD in pharmacology is more likely to end up doing research and testing of pharmaceuticals.

My initial statement was talking about the thread as a whole and it's feelings towards professional schools (schools that ONLY provide professional degrees) and professional degrees as a whole. You should know that a school like LaSalle, only has 3 doctoral programs (nursing, theology, and clinical psyd), ALL of which are professional degrees. This doesn't mean one shouldn't respect it--just how it is.

Sorry for the long explanation.

Last edited:
I see, I think the confusion was in "professional degree" vs. "professional school." When people on here talk about professional schools, I believe they're usually referring specifically to free-standing professional schools which are usually for-profit, not Psy.D.'s in general.

I see, I think the confusion was in "professional degree" vs. "professional school." When people on here talk about professional schools, I believe they're usually referring specifically to free-standing professional schools which are usually for-profit, not Psy.D.'s in general.

Essentially this, at least on this forum. A huge distinction often isn't made here between the Psy.D. and the Ph.D., nor is one made in most/all realms of legislation, practice, hiring, etc. The one place where I know I've seen the Psy.D./Ph.D. issue explicitly addressed is for internship (i.e., "we only accept Ph.D. applicants").

I was accepted to Roosevelt PsyD in Chicago and just found out I go into Yeshiva PsyD in NY off of the waitlist. I am now completely torn and have until Monday to decide.

Roosevelt is less expensive, and I am from Chicago so my family is here for support, but part of me is excited about the opportunity to live in NY and I also wonder if Yeshiva's program is more established and if the reputation is significanlty better. Please Help!

Thanks!

I was accepted to Roosevelt PsyD in Chicago and just found out I go into Yeshiva PsyD in NY off of the waitlist. I am now completely torn and have until Monday to decide.

Roosevelt is less expensive, and I am from Chicago so my family is here for support, but part of me is excited about the opportunity to live in NY and I also wonder if Yeshiva's program is more established and if the reputation is significanlty better. Please Help!

Thanks!

Well, to me the first question that comes to mind is cost of living. Chicago is not cheap (I was born and raised there), but it's not NEAR as expensive as NY can be. Having your family close is going to be a money saver as well (travel expenses will be less). I would say, check out pricing for apts in both areas. It also looks like Roosevelt has had better luck in terms of their students obtaining APA accredited paid internships when compared to Yeshiva. And it also seems to offer assistantships and scholarships (don't know if you already know whether you've obtained one or the other...).

And ultimately, where did you feel most comfortable when you interviewed?

My current goals are as follows: M.S. in Clinical Psych, then PsyD in Clinical Psych with concentration in psychodynamic psychotherapy. The opposition I have been facing really is from this website lol. I keep hearing "psychology is a dying field" , "the doctorate is not worth it", "it's better to be a LMHC" , etc. My question is why? I liked the PsyD program because it seems to be 80% clinical 20% research (assumption from reading about it). But the only person I have spoken with that recommends me getting a doctorate is my neuro prof. My passion is psychotherapy. I am also interested in research. I hear as well that there's very little funding for PsyD but I see on my school's website (www.nova.edu) that there IS indeed funding for it.

My current goals are as follows: M.S. in Clinical Psych, then PsyD in Clinical Psych with concentration in psychodynamic psychotherapy. The opposition I have been facing really is from this website lol. I keep hearing "psychology is a dying field" , "the doctorate is not worth it", "it's better to be a LMHC" , etc. My question is why? I liked the PsyD program because it seems to be 80% clinical 20% research (assumption from reading about it). But the only person I have spoken with that recommends me getting a doctorate is my neuro prof. My passion is psychotherapy. I am also interested in research. I hear as well that there's very little funding for PsyD but I see on my school's website (www.nova.edu) that there IS indeed funding for it.

How do/can you know psychotherapy is your "passion" if you don't have a graduate degree already? Sure, there's some undergrad/BA-level clinical experience that can kind oi sort of approximate that (co-facilitating groups, for example), but you can't/shouldn't get "real" exposure to conducting psychotherapy before grad school.

I assume from your post that the school you are considering is Nova? I'd highly suggest searching the forum for specific posts on Nova, as there are a lot of good posts from current students. Funding is *very* limited there.

There is indeed funding for some Psy.D. programs; problem is, fully-funded Psy.D. programs (i.e., tuition remission + stipend) are the exception rather than the rule. This doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of the training, of course, but when the typical price tag for a degree seems to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-150k for tuition alone, partial aid isn't going to do a whole lot to help you out. This is particularly apparent when you consider that there are many programs which do offer full funding; they're just tougher to get into.

If ALL you want to do is therapy, then yes, a master's makes more sense. Psychodynamic training is a bit unique, though, in that it requires a substantial time (and monetary) investment to receive "golden standard" competency. I believe many of the post-grad psychodynamic training institutes limit admission to psychologists and physicians/psychiatrists, so a doctorate might indeed be required (although I could be wrong). However, these institutes are expensive; the numbers I've seen thrown around here suggest that they take somewhere around 3-5 years to complete, during which time you're paying for multiple weekly supervision and therapy sessions (although there are posters here who've looked into the training more thoroughly than me, so I welcome their corrections/further input). Tacking that expense on top of a hefty student loan bill from grad school just seems like a financial death sentence.

Last edited: