This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JeyRo- Your comments about geropsychology are not relevant to the questions/concerns posed by the applicants, so unless you're considering applying to the Consortium to study geropsych and have questions about that I think I'll just refrain from commenting further.
Calipsych, I was responding to thisisname, who said he was accepted to PGSP/Stanford and said he was "curious to hear what people have to say, both positive and negative" about it. *I* see not continuing to retain faculty who specialize in geropsychology, and no longer offering any coursework on adult development and aging to students who are supposedly receiving well-rounded training as a negative. I fail to see what's irrelevant about my answer.

I know you probably don't believe this, but I have no axe to grind either way about PGSP / PAU.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Getting heated up in here :] We're all in this together so let's be helpful not judgmental if possible

I dont see anybody judging anyone. I see debate about training quality, cost, and viability. If you want to enter this profession, get used to lively debate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone chime in about Rutgers? While searching these boards, general consensus seems to be that it is the best PsyD program in the country. Not a lot of messages go into specifics though. Any current students (or those who have known students) have anything to say about the quality of training and academics there?

Also, despite attending school in New Jersey, would it be possible to obtain an APA internship or post doc in, say, California?

Thanks!

Can anyone chime in about Rutgers? While searching these boards, general consensus seems to be that it is the best PsyD program in the country. Not a lot of messages go into specifics though. Any current students (or those who have known students) have anything to say about the quality of training and academics there?

Also, despite attending school in New Jersey, would it be possible to obtain an APA internship or post doc in, say, California?

Thanks!

I can't speak to specifics about Rutgers other than to say what you already know--that it, along with Baylor, are mentioned as being two of the top Psy.D. programs in the country. I can say re: your second question, though, that where you go to grad school often has little to no bearing on where you attend internship (unless your grad program has a captive internship). So yes, it'd be very possible to get an internship or postdoc in California; at that point, it just comes down to how impressive your CV/training is and how well you mesh with the potential sites.

Hey I got admitted into the clinical psyd program at mspp and I'm still wait listed in Marywood and Marshall. What do you guys suggest, what are the reputations of the schools and should I actually wait to hear back from the wait listed schools?

Hey I got admitted into the clinical psyd program at mspp and I'm still wait listed in Marywood and Marshall. What do you guys suggest, what are the reputations of the schools and should I actually wait to hear back from the wait listed schools?

I give you the following data from MSPP:

Tuition for full-time students(in-state)$38,080
Tuition for full-time students (out-of-state)$38,080
Tuition per credit hour for part-time students (if applicable)$1,190
University/institution fees or costs$760
Additional estimated fees or costs to students (e.g. books, travel, etc.)$3,500

Cost per year: $42,340 + living expenses

APA match rates for the past few years:
'09-'10: 7%
'10-'11: 14%
'11-'12: 16%
'12-'13: 29%
'13-'14: 35%

While their rate is going up each year, a 35% match rate is still abysmal. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you spent $170k+* living expenses to have a 1 in 3 chance of matching to an APA-acred. internship site.

*This number assumes a student can get out in 4 years of schooling, does not include whatever they charge for the student's 5th year of internship, AND does not include any tuition increases that typically occur in most programs over a 5 yr period.

---

Marshall is better in regard to cost…~$9k/yr assuming you get 'in-state' tuition. They also have a much small cohort size (~8-11). Their APA-acred match %'s are pretty poor…50%-60%-ish for the last few years. You could definitely do worse (see above), but I'd have significant reservations about their match rates; I'd want to talk to their Director and see what they are doing to help their students match now and in the future. I have no idea if/how much funding they offer. If they offer at least some funding AND they have a realistic plan to address the match %'s….they could be a pretty good option.

---

Marywood looks like it is ~$25k/yr with some tuition remission and stipends available.

All students receive some scholarship aid during their first four years in the program (for post-bachelor’s admission, two years for post-Master’s admission); the scholarship for 2013-2014 is $4000, in the form of a tuition waiver. Students in their 3rd year of training are eligible to apply for one of four half-time Graduate Assistantships, which include partial tuition remission (12.75 credits) and a stipend ($2720 for the academic year).

Their APA-acred. match rate is very poor though: 18%-50% over the past 4 years.

---
The above is how much I don't want to do my paperwork right now. :D Good luck w. your decision…..which should also include "None of the above" and apply to different programs next year. Everyone has a different situation, but for most people you want to minimize debt and maximize your chances to secure a good job. Grad debt and acred. status can impact your next 20+ years.

Last edited:
Hey y'all...I just got accepted to a handful of different PsyD programs and am feeling like I can probably expect acceptances from a few others. Here is what I have to work with:

DU (50k, providing me very little help)
PGSP (is it 40k now? I also don't expect much help financially)
Wright Institute (30k for years 1-3, 11k for every year after that...I haven't been officially accepted but I expect I will be)

For better or for worse, I have not had to worry too much about debt or finances throughout life, and was walking on air when I got these acceptances, thinking even if it costs a lot it is an investment in my future. When I realized just how much money it might be I started to panic a little...I don't want to be that much of a burden on my family.

So my fourth option is this: wait another year and apply to better funded PsyD programs.
How much more competitive are partially/cheaper priced PsyD programs of comparable quality to those mentioned above? If I can reasonably expect to get into them without adding much to my CV (not that I don't want to do work, I just don't want to risk not being able to find more experience in the next few months), I think I might wait a year.

But if this is the best I can do, should I just consider it am investment in my dream job/education and work my ass off in these progams to ensure I can pay my family/bank back some day? I just really don't want to put my life on hold much longer if these are the best programs I can expect to get into....

Hey y'all...I just got accepted to a handful of different PsyD programs and am feeling like I can probably expect acceptances from a few others. Here is what I have to work with:

DU (50k, providing me very little help)
PGSP (is it 40k now? I also don't expect much help financially)
Wright Institute (30k for years 1-3, 11k for every year after that...I haven't been officially accepted but I expect I will be)

For better or for worse, I have not had to worry too much about debt or finances throughout life, and was walking on air when I got these acceptances, thinking even if it costs a lot it is an investment in my future. When I realized just how much money it might be I started to panic a little...I don't want to be that much of a burden on my family.

So my fourth option is this: wait another year and apply to better funded PsyD programs.
How much more competitive are partially/cheaper priced PsyD programs of comparable quality to those mentioned above? If I can reasonably expect to get into them without adding much to my CV (not that I don't want to do work, I just don't want to risk not being able to find more experience in the next few months), I think I might wait a year.

But if this is the best I can do, should I just consider it am investment in my dream job/education and work my ass off in these progams to ensure I can pay my family/bank back some day? I just really don't want to put my life on hold much longer if these are the best programs I can expect to get into....

This is a difficult question to answer (whether or not you could get into a cheaper/better program). It depends on your background, GPA, GRE scores, etc. etc. and also context. For instance, I could probably have gotten into a cheaper PsyD or a lower-ranked PhD if I'd gone to a masters program and also got myself more clinical and a little more research experience. But I'm over 30, I came to this field relatively late, and I have a family—I don't have the time to dedicate to making myself a better candidate; I've spent as much time doing that as I could already.

But if you're still in your early 20s, if you know what you would do to make yourself a better candidate, it may be worth the extra 2+ years you would need to spend to make yourself more desirable and spend less money on your degree. Best of luck!

This is a difficult question to answer (whether or not you could get into a cheaper/better program). It depends on your background, GPA, GRE scores, etc. etc. and also context. For instance, I could probably have gotten into a cheaper PsyD or a lower-ranked PhD if I'd gone to a masters program and also got myself more clinical and a little more research experience. But I'm over 30, I came to this field relatively late, and I have a family—I don't have the time to dedicate to making myself a better candidate; I've spent as much time doing that as I could already.

But if you're still in your early 20s, if you know what you would do to make yourself a better candidate, it may be worth the extra 2+ years you would need to spend to make yourself more desirable and spend less money on your degree. Best of luck!

You may want to think about it a different way - actually, if you're younger and rack up 200-300K of nondischargeable debt, you're more likely to pay it off (or have it discharged) before you're forced to retire, and you'd have more working years to pay it off besides. If you're older, you'll have less time to service the debt. You may be stuck with unmanageable monthly debt service payments when you're older and much less able to pay it off.

Best thing is to avoid student loan debt entirely.

PGSP/PAU again may be the best of all the FSPS programs out there, but the cost is just insane.

You may want to think about it a different way - actually, if you're younger and rack up 200-300K of nondischargeable debt, you're more likely to pay it off (or have it discharged) before you're forced to retire, and you'd have more working years to pay it off besides. If you're older, you'll have less time to service the debt. You may be stuck with unmanageable monthly debt service payments when you're older and much less able to pay it off.

Best thing is to avoid student loan debt entirely.

PGSP/PAU again may be the best of all the FSPS programs out there, but the cost is just insane.

It's certainly a complex and personal calculus for each of us, and while direct cost is and should be a huge part of that, it's not the only part and plays a different role for each person and their circumstances. I've accepted admission to the PGSP-Stanford Consortium and am very excited about starting what will hopefully be an enlightening and challenging education and career!

Giving the fact that you are, apparently, admiting that admissions standards are lower at the places where tuition is unjustifiably high (you dont actually think that program could survive without the massive Fed loan system and "grad plus" loans do you?), I would encourage you to think carefully about whether the doctorate is a necessary componet to achieve the career goals and do the work you want to do? Increasingly, it is just not NEEDED. If you just want it, and are willing to put you and your family 200k in the whole to do it, that your choice, but its quite irrational. And I dont want irrational folks in the field. I doubt patients do either.

I advise for my state psych association and recommend the Ph.D. to emerging undergads when I hear a very specific set of goals and/or interests. I rarely, if ever, think the Psy.D is worth it at all anymore. I truely hope you understand the current market for doctoral-level clinicians, as well as the reimbursment structure of mental health services, both how it has changed (read as "decreased") recently and what is likely to happen to it in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Giving the fact that you are, apparently, admiting that admissions standards are lower at the places where tuition is unjustifiably high (you dont actually think that program could survive without the massive Fed loan system and "grad plus" loans do you?), I would encourage you to think carefully about whether the doctorate is a necessary componet to achieve the career goals and do the work you want to do? Increasingly, it is just not NEEDED. If you just want it, and are willing to put you and your family 200k in the whole to do it, that your choice, but its quite irrational. And I dont want irrational folks in the field. I doubt patients do either.

I advise for my state psych association and recommend the Ph.D. to emerging undergads when I hear a very specific set of goals and/or interests. I rarely, if ever, think the Psy.D is worth it at all anymore. I truely hope you understand the current market for doctoral-level clinicians, as well as the reimbursment structure of mental health services, both how it has changed (read as "decreased") recently and what is likely to happen to it in the future.

As I said to JeyRo earlier, there are many particular issues and variables that come up in each of our personal decisions. I know that you believe that the PsyD, and maybe this one in particular, is an irrational choice—you have been quite vocal about it on these boards. Your points are well taken and certainly valid, but "there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

I believe my decision is the best one for me, my family, my career, and yes, even my future patients.

Reactions: 1 user
As I said to JeyRo earlier, there are many particular issues and variables that come up in each of our personal decisions.

Right, and as someone who likley knows ALOT more about this field than you do yet, I am telling you what those "issues" are. I am just hoping you have thought about them and considered alternatives of lesser resistance and cost. If you haven't, then, by defintion, its an "irrational" decision.

As I said to JeyRo earlier, there are many particular issues and variables that come up in each of our personal decisions. I know that you believe that the PsyD, and maybe this one in particular, is an irrational choice—you have been quite vocal about it on these boards. Your points are well taken and certainly valid, but "there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

I believe my decision is the best one for me, my family, my career, and yes, even my future patients.

Congrats on making your decision. You and I may be future classmates.

Congrats on making your decision. You and I may be future classmates.

Feel free to PM me if you decide to attend or even if you just have questions about my decision!

Right, and as someone who likley knows ALOT more about this field than you do yet, I am telling you what those "issues" are. I am just hoping you have thought about them and considered alternatives of lesser resistance and cost. If you haven't, then, by defintion, its an "irrational" decision.
You can lead a camel to two wells, and tell them one is poisoned. Some camels will still drink from the poisoned well.

You can lead a camel to two wells, and tell them one is poisoned. Some camels will still drink from the poisoned well.

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but you're being rather presumptuous and condescending.

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but you're being rather presumptuous and condescending.
It was a general statement about the FSPS schools and advice on them. Stanford does happen to be on the better end of them, so that's something I guess.

And yes, a little condescension is part of my personality, I make no pretense otherwise.

Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate all the advice and experiences y'all are sharing with me.

Honestly, I applied to only PsyD programs this year, partially because of advice from a counselor who had a Psy d degree and felt it afforded him a lot of options and a teacher who had a phd degree and told me a PHD was only for people who wanted to do niche research. And I limited my schools to California with a couple scattered here and there fairly nearby, because my family likes me to stay close if possible.

I guess it's kind of a childish reason but I really want to keep moving on with my life and education, but I don't want to go into this much debt and just hope for the best, even if loan forgiveness programs are available I'm just wondering how risky it is to rely on that?

I know now that these schools are a bit easier to get into. So is it wrong of me to assume I could do better if I got into pretty much every place I applied to save for Baylor (and my app went in late there)? If so, is it reasonable for me to go to school and assume if im committed to do whatever it takes, ill likely be able to manage my debt even if it takes a while?

I also posted my stats in WAMC if that helps.

thisisaname- Congratulations on finalizing your decision! It sounds like you feel confident that this is the right choice for you. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions as you're taking the next steps.

JT- I think Rutgers is a very solid program, and I do know of a student there who matched this year to an APA accredited internship in southern California. I think that matching for internship and/or postdoc in CA is certainly possible if you choose a program outside of the state. I actually did quite a few interviews in the Northeast for internship and met several Rutgers students. It seems like a lot of them do match for internship/postdoc in the Northeast, but that might just be because a lot of people choose to stay in that area. Another possible reason might be that the program offers a lot of psychodynamic training, and many sites in the greater NYC area are psychodynamic so they are a good fit. The program has a solid reputation and I've never heard anything bad about the clinical training there. Have you looked at their APA match rates? I don't really have any idea how good they are but I'd definitely recommend checking in to that to give you a sense of the caliber of the program.

Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate all the advice and experiences y'all are sharing with me.

Honestly, I applied to only PsyD programs this year, partially because of advice from a counselor who had a Psy d degree and felt it afforded him a lot of options and a teacher who had a phd degree and told me a PHD was only for people who wanted to do niche research. And I limited my schools to California with a couple scattered here and there fairly nearby, because my family likes me to stay close if possible.

I suppose I understand how this started. Years ago, many phd faculty disliked having students who solely wanted to be clincians because,many years ago, faculty, even in clincial programs, were often not clincial psychologists/clincially trained. There just were not nearly as many psychologists in 1980 as there are today.

Well, it aint 1980 anymore and clincial psychology programs are called that for a reason. "Only for research" is what we have experiemental psychology programs are for, right? As for "family likes for me to be close".....while that is understandable I suppose, you are a grown man/woman, and if you want a high powered career, certain things have to happen. You have to go get it. Nobody brings it to your front door. Most highly educated professions/professionals simply dont have the luxury of staying in or right next to their hometown. This is just a fact of life. Informing your family about the demands of this eduational path might help them understand this better.

My personal opinion is that it is foolish, to say the least, to rely on a government program to bail you out of the consequences of poor financial investments/decisions. Although I guess they have estsablished a track record of that, haven't they? Nevertheless, I was raised to belive that thats not really the governments job and I think most Americans agrees with me (accpet maybe those in the Peoples Republic of California), even if we dont always follow that belief.

Nevertheless, the only thing you can really count on in goverment is for programs and policies to change. Seriously, besides medicare and SS, what social welfare programs remain intact or unchanged for more than a decade before congress is pushed to change the rules or the benefits?

I am choosing between two clinical PhD programs. The first is in a major city that I have always wanted to live in, closer to friends, with a lower cost of living (and fully funded, with an ok stipend). The program is balanced, but has great match outcomes and clinical opportunities. My POI is less established in the field, but seems really motivated and is putting in multiple grant applications to work on a topic that is of great interest to me. He has been flexible when I've inquired about being able to pursue interests that weren't exactly what the lab is currently doing. Since this is a more balanced program, not many students have ended up in straight TT positions. Seems like AMCs are the most common place for them, from what I can tell. My concern with this program is that it IS more balanced and I wonder if I will have the same research opportunities there as I would at a more research heavy program. I've expressed this concern to my POI and he has said that I would have numerous opportunities for presentations and pubs. Seems like students have about 4 pubs on average.

The second program is also in a big city with a MUCH higher cost of living, where I don't really know many people. It's guaranteed partial funding, but all students in the lab that I've applied to have received full funding because my POI has several grants (and has maintained grant status for years). I'd be working with two POIs, both doing things that I am interested in. The first is very well known in the field, but the other would likely be my primary mentor. It's my understanding that I'd get to publish with both (as this is a very, very research heavy program). Students seem to be very successful getting NIH grants and appear to be well-connected, at least coming from the first professor's lab. However, it seems like students might have more trouble getting clinical hours and many thought they would end up taking an extra year to build those up, I guess because the program is so research heavy.

I'm very torn between the two - work with a well-known person (at least secondarily) and have lots of research opportunities at the possible expense of clinical hours and funding, or work with a newer person who is doing research that I'm really interested in and seems really supportive at the possible expense of publications and the prep needed for a TT position (which to be honest I don't know if I want at this point).

Sorry this was so long! I would appreciate absolutely any insight!

I am choosing between two clinical PhD programs. The first is in a major city that I have always wanted to live in, closer to friends, with a lower cost of living (and fully funded, with an ok stipend). The program is balanced, but has great match outcomes and clinical opportunities. My POI is less established in the field, but seems really motivated and is putting in multiple grant applications to work on a topic that is of great interest to me. He has been flexible when I've inquired about being able to pursue interests that weren't exactly what the lab is currently doing. Since this is a more balanced program, not many students have ended up in straight TT positions. Seems like AMCs are the most common place for them, from what I can tell. My concern with this program is that it IS more balanced and I wonder if I will have the same research opportunities there as I would at a more research heavy program. I've expressed this concern to my POI and he has said that I would have numerous opportunities for presentations and pubs. Seems like students have about 4 pubs on average.

The second program is also in a big city with a MUCH higher cost of living, where I don't really know many people. It's guaranteed partial funding, but all students in the lab that I've applied to have received full funding because my POI has several grants (and has maintained grant status for years). I'd be working with two POIs, both doing things that I am interested in. The first is very well known in the field, but the other would likely be my primary mentor. It's my understanding that I'd get to publish with both (as this is a very, very research heavy program). Students seem to be very successful getting NIH grants and appear to be well-connected, at least coming from the first professor's lab. However, it seems like students might have more trouble getting clinical hours and many thought they would end up taking an extra year to build those up, I guess because the program is so research heavy.

I'm very torn between the two - work with a well-known person (at least secondarily) and have lots of research opportunities at the possible expense of clinical hours and funding, or work with a newer person who is doing research that I'm really interested in and seems really supportive at the possible expense of publications and the prep needed for a TT position (which to be honest I don't know if I want at this point).

Sorry this was so long! I would appreciate absolutely any insight!

Tough call. The second spot definitely sounds like it could be more beneficial for a TT position if that was your sure-set career goal, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Based on the way you've described them, it sounds like you're slightly more enamored by the first program, and there's certainly something to be said for being near friends and in a low cost of living area. As for the pubs, I'd honestly imagine a big part of that is going to fall to you; some programs can afford more opportunities for that than others, and there are certainly some labs where folks will get tacked on multiple pubs just by virtue of being in a particular lab, but it sounds like the chance is there in the first program. And 4 pubs is nothing to sneeze at; it's well above average coming out of grad school.

Hey,

I'm trying to decide btw Antioch NE and Liu Cw post. Can anyone give any advice? I got tons of info on Antioch but can't find any current or past Liu grads. They're both pretty pricey and I got a financial aid packets from Antioch with a breakdown of my awards but haven't heard anything from Liu financial wise. My main concern is the quality of training at Liu. Antioch is intense but very in depth whereas I haven't heard much about Liu. Anything would help, thanks

Hey,

I'm trying to decide btw Antioch NE and Liu Cw post. Can anyone give any advice? I got tons of info on Antioch but can't find any current or past Liu grads. They're both pretty pricey and I got a financial aid packets from Antioch with a breakdown of my awards but haven't heard anything from Liu financial wise. My main concern is the quality of training at Liu. Antioch is intense but very in depth whereas I haven't heard much about Liu. Anything would help, thanks

The number I pay attention to is the APA internship match rate. Although LIU Post has been declining (which is concerning for sure), it's still higher than Antioch NE. I loved Antioch when I interviewed there, but that number is a big deal. Still, it sounds like maybe you have a better gut feeling from Antioch?

There is no doubt that match rates are important and that good programs almost always have solid and stable match rates.

Nevertheless, one reason I am realy liking the Delware model stuff is that they are really trying to get back to educating student in actual psychology and its various applications to human problems and service delivery...as opposed to simply "preparing them for internship", which seems to be some programs sole focus and moto.

Last edited:
Tough call. The second spot definitely sounds like it could be more beneficial for a TT position if that was your sure-set career goal, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Based on the way you've described them, it sounds like you're slightly more enamored by the first program, and there's certainly something to be said for being near friends and in a low cost of living area. As for the pubs, I'd honestly imagine a big part of that is going to fall to you; some programs can afford more opportunities for that than others, and there are certainly some labs where folks will get tacked on multiple pubs just by virtue of being in a particular lab, but it sounds like the chance is there in the first program. And 4 pubs is nothing to sneeze at; it's well above average coming out of grad school.
Thank you for weighing in. That's a good point about publications. I am very motivated to become involved in research and develop a strong CV, so I do think that would be possible at either place. At the end of the day, they are both great programs, and I think I am going to have to take the advice I've been given by so many - go with my gut!

The number I pay attention to is the APA internship match rate. Although LIU Post has been declining (which is concerning for sure), it's still higher than Antioch NE. I loved Antioch when I interviewed there, but that number is a big deal. Still, it sounds like maybe you have a better gut feeling from Antioch?
Antioch did better than Liu this year. All their students matched.

While it irks me that LIU isn't using the standardized format for reporting Educational & Outcome Data….their internship numbers look better. I'd be concerned with the downward trend (%-wise) of their APA match rate. Their cost is also a concern, partly because the information available on their website is quite vague for what kind of package a student will actually receive. $50k/yr is ridiculous, so anything short of $30k/yr package makes the program still run high for cost bc the cost of living in LI is higher than average.

One thing I noticed about Antioch…their students are averaging 6.7 yr to graduate. That in and of itself isn't bad, but @ $33k+ /yr in tuition, that adds up to a very large debt. If a person gets through in 5yrs full-time, that is ~$165k…just in tuition. I'm not sure if/what they charge for the internship year, but this is probably a "best case scenario" and most students will take longer and spend more money. That just is too much.

Last edited:
18 students initially registered for the Match process, 17 actually decided to apply for internships, and 16 were placed (89% of those who registered, and 94% of those who applied). This compares to 73% nationally who registered for the match.

All 16 of our placed students have full-time, paid internships; 13 were awarded APA accredited sites (72% of those who registered or 76% of those who applied to sites); and 3 matched with additional APPIC certified sites (17% of those who registered or 18% of those who applied to sites).

Those are Antioch Stats for this year. I'm just going to send out a few emails. Hopefully someone can give me Liu stats for this year. I have yet to receive a financial aid package from Liu and it bothers me, also their site is vague on the actual tuition. All they have is a graph of tuition estimate. At this point from the info I've gathered, Antioch is intense but training is thorough. I know so little about liu

Those are Antioch Stats for this year. I'm just going to send out a few emails. Hopefully someone can give me Liu stats for this year. I have yet to receive a financial aid package from Liu and it bothers me, also their site is vague on the actual tuition. All they have is a graph of tuition estimate. At this point from the info I've gathered, Antioch is intense but training is thorough. I know so little about liu

Yeah, you should get those answers, and clear ones, from LIU. If they're not free with that information, it says something.

All the caveats makes this question annoying, but I would say Wheaton.

I'm accepted to 3 Ed.S. programs for school psychology. My favorite one is BRAND NEW therefore will not be NASP approved until after I graduate.

Has anyone else out there attended a non-nasp-approved program? If so, how did this effect finding a job for you?

Advice? Should I even be considering this school?

I'm accepted to 3 Ed.S. programs for school psychology. My favorite one is BRAND NEW therefore will not be NASP approved until after I graduate.

Has anyone else out there attended a non-nasp-approved program? If so, how did this effect finding a job for you?

Advice? Should I even be considering this school?

Mod Note: Merging this into the "Help Me Decide" mega thread

Which university-based PsyD?

Hi there - long time lurker, first-time poster. I currently have acceptances for PsyD programs at Indiana University of Pennsylvania and University of Hartford. I am number 1 on the wait list at Long Island University, and am still waiting to hear from Xavier University post-interview.

The major drawback of IUP, as I see it, is the location, and also the fact that some recent budget cuts have reduced the amount of assistantships available. I have also read some recent postings on this board that make me a bit skeptical about the training provided at Hartford (their EPPP pass rate may serve as evidence for this?). The major drawback of LIU, if I get off the waitlist, is the tuition (almost double that of Hartford and Xavier).

Percentage of students obtaining APA internship (average over the last 8 years):
IUP 67%
LIU 76% (decreasing in recent years)
Hartford 83%
Xavier 75%

EPPP pass rates:
IUP 92%
LIU 88%
Hartford 75%
Xavier 90%

I would love to hear about people's experiences of any these programs, either direct or indirect, to help with my decision-making. Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Xavier. Good school, so program stand the best chance of being good, IMHO.

Reactions: 1 users
Adler school of professional psychology is turning into Adler university next year. Would you suggest going to adler over chicago school ?

Adler school of professional psychology is turning into Adler university next year. Would you suggest going to adler over chicago school ?

I don't know that I see the name switch changing much of anything. Going based on the numbers from my previous post, of the two, I'd still go with the Chicago School.

Adler matched all of the neuropsych students to APA accredited sites for internship this year and that's the concentration I would do though

There is not much of Adler left in his school, I am afraid. The one npsych student I encountered from there left alot to be desired.

Last edited:
I see. Is that the standard for doctoral education in clincial psychology nowdays?