Hematology/Oncology 2019-2020 Fellowship Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many interviews are enough to match? What is a "safe" number.

Has anyone interviewed at University of Minnesota? When does the interview day end? Gotten no itinerary and interviews in 2 days lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many interviews are enough to match? What is a "safe" number.
I looked at the ‘continguous ranks’ stats from last year and it seems > 9-10 increases your chances of matching to 85%

I looked at the ‘continguous ranks’ stats from last year and it seems > 9-10 increases your chances of matching to 85%
But I must also say, I know people who’ve matched to great places with 4 interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Loyola
Dartmouth
MCW
UF

Not entirely sure what I’m interested in clinically but interested in patient reported outcomes in research.
Leaning Loyola because it’s a city and as a result, having a social life would be much easier.

UF was great - but hate hot weather. Think it’d be miserable.

Thoughts? @gutonc

Would really appreciate any more opinions of these places.

When sending an email with questions to the programs, do you usually include your AAMC ID ??

:oops: With that being said I would assume that the chances to match to your #1 option would be really low.

:oops: With that being said I would assume that the chances to match to your #1 option would be really low.

I suspect people who don’t match with 9-10 ranks either went only to top programs and cancelled more reasonable programs or do extremely poorly in interviews. Your chance of matching at #1 is dependent on how competitive your application is and how your #1 fits into that scheme.

If your top choice is Hopkins and the rest of your programs are community hospitals youre probably not particularly competitive for Hopkins. If your top choice is Hopkins and you also interviewed at UPMC, Penn, DFCI etc your chances of matching there are much better.

Hi all,

I would appreciate you guys' help with ranking the following programs. I am interested in malignant hematology research, and want to do clinical trials and some translational research in the future. I don't have geographical restriction, but I slightly prefer to live in a city. However, if training quality and mentorship are superb, then those are the most important things to me. The following is my current rank order.

-Mayo Clinic Rochester
-UCSF
-Stanford
-Cornell
-UPMC
-Cleveland Clinic
-Moffitt

I am very indecisive among the above seven. I had the best interview experience in Mayo Rochester, and I really liked the faculty and fellows. Mayo is also strong in myeloma and lymphoma, and they have lots of great clinical trials and databases. However, I slightly prefer to live in a city because I am single. For my career goal, do you think it will be an unwise decision if I switch UCSF, Stanford or Cornell with Mayo Rochester? I feel Cornell and Stanford emphasize a lot on basic science, though, but less on clinical research/training. There is also MSKCC next to Cornell too. I haven't done interviews at UCSF or UPMC. Both interviews are very late, so I decide to ask you guys now.

-University of Minnesota
-University of Colorado
-Emory University
-City of Hope
-USC
-University of Wisconsin
-University of Miami
-UAB

I will be grateful if you can share your thoughts for my list. @gutonc

Hi all,

I would appreciate you guys' help with ranking the following programs. I am interested in malignant hematology research, and want to do clinical trials and some translational research in the future. I don't have geographical restriction, but I slightly prefer to live in a city. However, if training quality and mentorship are superb, then those are the most important things to me. The following is my current rank order.

-Mayo Clinic Rochester
-UCSF
-Stanford
-Cornell
-UPMC
-Cleveland Clinic
-Moffitt

I am very indecisive among the above seven. I had the best interview experience in Mayo Rochester, and I really liked the faculty and fellows. Mayo is also strong in myeloma and lymphoma, and they have lots of great clinical trials and databases. However, I slightly prefer to live in a city because I am single. For my career goal, do you think it will be an unwise decision if I switch UCSF, Stanford or Cornell with Mayo Rochester? I feel Cornell and Stanford emphasize a lot on basic science, though, but less on clinical research/training. There is also MSKCC next to Cornell too. I haven't done interviews at UCSF or UPMC. Both interviews are very late, so I decide to ask you guys now.

-University of Minnesota
-University of Colorado
-Emory University
-City of Hope
-USC
-University of Wisconsin
-University of Miami
-UAB

I think by reputation alone mayo Stanford and Cornell are roughly similar especially given your interests. I do not believe (but someone can correct me if I’m wrong) that UCSF is on the same level. As far as living in a city, it makes sense and it is understandable to rank that way given your position. Stanford and Cornell above mayo would not close any doors. UCSF I’m not as sure and someone with more knowledge like gutonc could weigh in. Do you have a specific disease interest within malignant heme? That could possibly help delineate as certain programs have different strengths (ie mayo and myeloma )

Anyone interviewing at the University of Arkansas? How many interview dates were offered?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think by reputation alone mayo Stanford and Cornell are roughly similar especially given your interests. I do not believe (but someone can correct me if I’m wrong) that UCSF is on the same level. As far as living in a city, it makes sense and it is understandable to rank that way given your position. Stanford and Cornell above mayo would not close any doors. UCSF I’m not as sure and someone with more knowledge like gutonc could weigh in. Do you have a specific disease interest within malignant heme? That could possibly help delineate as certain programs have different strengths (ie mayo and myeloma )
Congrats! That's a really fantastic list.

Mayo is a fantastic program but I don't think any of the others you mention are inferior to it. UCSF has a great program (probably >>>> competitive than Mayo because of location). Take a look at their fellows' training, awards, publications etc. I don't think they are of a lesser caliber at all. U of Minn, Emory and COH are pretty low on your list for someone who has an interest in heme research. As always, fellow applicant here, not an expert.

So, after reading your suggestion, this is my "final list". What do you think?... Leaning toward solids. Live in NYC. Single, rather living in a city. Not to interested in research. Thank you and Good luck!

-NYU
-Univ of Minnesota
-Lehigh Valley Health Network
-SUNY downstate
-Roger Williams (Rhode island)
-Vidant medical center (NC)
-University of Mississippi med center
-St. Joseph mercy (Michigan)

So, after reading your suggestion, this is my "final list". What do you think?... Leaning toward solids. Live in NYC. Single, rather living in a city. Not to interested in research. Thank you and Good luck!

-NYU
-Univ of Minnesota
-Lehigh Valley Health Network
-SUNY downstate
-Roger Williams (Rhode island)
-Vidant medical center (NC)
-University of Mississippi med center
-St. Joseph mercy (Michigan)
Looks fine. I didn't understand from your posts if NYU is the real NYU or some affiliate but doesn't really matter if your preference is living in NYC and not doing research. No idea what Lehigh Valley is/offers but curious why you ranked it above SUNY

Hi all,

-Mayo Clinic Rochester
-UCSF
-Stanford
-Cornell
-UPMC
-Cleveland Clinic
-Moffitt

-University of Minnesota
-University of Colorado
-Emory University
-City of Hope
-USC
-University of Wisconsin
-University of Miami
-UAB

Your top 3 (assuming interest in heme mal) should be Stanford, UMinn and Mayo in some order. UCSF is a top program but not really in heme mal like the others. Cornell could be top 3 (or 4, or 5) too.

You've got a great list there and if you ranked solely by geography, or by flipping a coin, you'll be just fine.

Are you a DO or IMG? Because that data is true only if you are in those 2 categories per last year’s NRMP data. If you’re an AMG you’re already at a 85% chance of matching if you rank 4-5.

Looks fine. I didn't understand from your posts if NYU is the real NYU or some affiliate but doesn't really matter if your preference is living in NYC and not doing research. No idea what Lehigh Valley is/offers but curious why you ranked it above SUNY
Um... That is something that has been spinning in my head for the past two weeks. I really liked Lehigh program when I interviewed there, they have a really good and nice staff. On the other hand, SUNY is a good program and is close to my home (that is important to me), but I don't know why I had this weird feeling the day of the interview, maybe I was just tired.

Do you have any thoughts about SUNY Downstate? I've always heard that is a good program, do you agree?

Um... That is something that has been spinning in my head for the past two weeks. I really liked Lehigh program when I interviewed there, they have a really good and nice staff. On the other hand, SUNY is a good program and is close to my home (that is important to me), but I don't know why I had this weird feeling the day of the interview, maybe I was just tired.

Do you have any thoughts about SUNY Downstate? I've always heard that is a good program, do you agree?

Don't know enough about their program but would suspect it's very clinically heavy, covering multiple hospitals, with limited research opportunities if it is anything like their residency program.

Hi all!

I'd also appreciate some input into my rank list. Also interested in malignant heme here (leukemias specifically), mostly in clinical research (would like to be a trialist), have a slight geographic bias towards midwest and northeast, married with a newborn so would like to avoid really big cities but not the biggest deal if the training is significantly superior. However, I do have a spouse who would need to find a job (non-medical) so I can't end up in a really small city like Rochester either.

My current top 5 are as follows:
1) Univ of Chicago
2) Vanderbilt (not sure of the strength of their malignant heme, but loved Nashville, seemed very live-able for new families)
3) MD Anderson
4) Hopkins
5) MSKCC

I am undecided about how to order 2-5 specifically, struggling with lifestyle/geography vs strength of program, and frankly unsure how they stack up for malignant heme. Everyone seems to say they're good at everything when you're on the interview trail, makes it hard to believe. I do think all of those cities have plentiful employment opportunities for my wife, which is a plus. She actually already had job offers in Boston and SF but alas, no interview offers from any of those institutions. The remaining are as follows:

- UNC
- Duke
- Northwestern
- Yale
- WashU
- UPMC
- Michigan
- NIH
- Columbia

Any thoughts about strength of malignant heme or onc in general at Yale, Duke, Northwestern, and Columbia? UNC seemed to be really big on benign heme, I didn't see as much about malignant heme, though they make their own CAR-T which is super cool. I've heard that Hopkins can be an intense program, not sure if anyone else has had some experience with this.

Hi all,

-Mayo Clinic Rochester
-UCSF
-Stanford
-Cornell
-UPMC
-Cleveland Clinic
-Moffitt

-University of Minnesota
-University of Colorado
-Emory University
-City of Hope
-USC
-University of Wisconsin
-University of Miami
-UAB

Awesome list! If you're interested in malignant heme and prefer a city vibe, Stanford would be a great option. It's super close to two urban centers, I did a research rotation there and it was surprisingly easy to get to the city, but it's not so close that it's in your face all the time. Best of both worlds, really.

Last edited:
Anyone interviewing at the University of Arkansas? How many interview dates were offered?
Anyone? Hoping to see if there are other options to request date exchange? I have a clash with another interview and will have to cancel one. Thanks

Thank you for your reply! I am interested in myeloma, and Mayo Clinic Rochester is very strong in myeloma research. What do you think about the clinical training in Stanford and Cornell? They do emphasize a lot on basic science research. I heard from a Stanford resident that their myeloma and leukemia departments are prestigious but small in terms of the number of faculty.

Congrats! That's a really fantastic list.

Mayo is a fantastic program but I don't think any of the others you mention are inferior to it. UCSF has a great program (probably >>>> competitive than Mayo because of location). Take a look at their fellows' training, awards, publications etc. I don't think they are of a lesser caliber at all. U of Minn, Emory and COH are pretty low on your list for someone who has an interest in heme research. As always, fellow applicant here, not an expert.

I think I am gonna move University of Minnesota up after Mayo Clinic Rochester, Stanford, Cornell, UCSF and UPMC. Emory is prestigious but is too busy in clinical training (five hospitals). I want some onc training (double board), so although COH is prestigious in malignant hematology, I prefer a program that is more comprehensive in both heme and onc.

Your top 3 (assuming interest in heme mal) should be Stanford, UMinn and Mayo in some order. UCSF is a top program but not really in heme mal like the others. Cornell could be top 3 (or 4, or 5) too.

You've got a great list there and if you ranked solely by geography, or by flipping a coin, you'll be just fine.

Thanks a lot @gutonc I will move U of Minnesota up to my top five (not top 3 because I like to live in New York or Bay Area). What do you think about the clinical training/clinical research for Stanford and Cornell? I feel like they emphasize a lot on basic science research.

Thank you for your reply! I am interested in myeloma, and Mayo Clinic Rochester is very strong in myeloma research. What do you think about the clinical training in Stanford and Cornell? They do emphasize a lot on basic science research. I heard from a Stanford resident that their myeloma and leukemia departments are prestigious but small in terms of the number of faculty

I think I am gonna move University of Minnesota up after Mayo Clinic Rochester, Stanford, Cornell, UCSF and UPMC. Emory is prestigious but is too busy in clinical training (five hospitals). I want some onc training (double board), so although COH is prestigious in malignant hematology, I prefer a program that is more comprehensive in both heme and onc.

Thanks a lot @gutonc I will move U of Minnesota up to my top five. What do you think about the clinical training/clinical research for Stanford and Cornell? I feel like they emphasize a lot on basic science research.

I don’t know as much about Stanford because I never interviewed there but at Cornell they emphasize translational research (probably even more than basic science?). They have a well developed myeloma department with several faculty and I imagine research opportunities won’t be an issue (probably wherever you go based on your list). Clinical training at Cornell is also very good, probably better than say the major research powerhouse programs. I think the way you plan to rank sounds reasonable. I do know that Stanford is an excellent program and you’ll have a good quality of life living out there.

From what I saw there’s a lot more inpatient time at Stanford compared to any other program. I think the first year for example they have 8 months or something like that compared to 4 months at most other programs.

Good morning,

Just to clarify, next steps after interviews: Update ERAS with NRMP ID, Do the Ranking list, Certify the list...wait for the match.
Am I missing any step?
Probably is a dump question. My NRMP ID starts with a letter, should I write just the numbers at ERAS or complete with the letter?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all!

I'd also appreciate some input into my rank list. Also interested in malignant heme here (leukemias specifically), mostly in clinical research (would like to be a trialist), have a slight geographic bias towards midwest and northeast, married with a newborn so would like to avoid really big cities but not the biggest deal if the training is significantly superior. However, I do have a spouse who would need to find a job (non-medical) so I can't end up in a really small city like Rochester either.

My current top 5 are as follows:
1) Univ of Chicago
2) Vanderbilt (not sure of the strength of their malignant heme, but loved Nashville, seemed very live-able for new families)
3) MD Anderson
4) Hopkins
5) MSKCC

I am undecided about how to order 2-5 specifically, struggling with lifestyle/geography vs strength of program, and frankly unsure how they stack up for malignant heme. Everyone seems to say they're good at everything when you're on the interview trail, makes it hard to believe. I do think all of those cities have plentiful employment opportunities for my wife, which is a plus. She actually already had job offers in Boston and SF but alas, no interview offers from any of those institutions. The remaining are as follows:

- UNC
- Duke
- Northwestern
- Yale
- WashU
- UPMC
- Michigan
- NIH
- Columbia

Any thoughts about strength of malignant heme or onc in general at Yale, Duke, Northwestern, and Columbia? UNC seemed to be really big on benign heme, I didn't see as much about malignant heme, though they make their own CAR-T which is super cool. I've heard that Hopkins can be an intense program, not sure if anyone else has had some experience with this. I've only been to 2/3 of the interviews so far, so I don't have all the information yet (it might seem crazy that I signed up for 14 interviews, only canceled 4, but it's actually a fairly average number at my institution, just the culture of the place).

Awesome list! If you're interested in malignant heme and prefer a city vibe, Stanford would be a great option. It's super close to two urban centers, I did a research rotation there and it was surprisingly easy to get to the city, but it's not so close that it's in your face all the time. Best of both worlds, really.

Thanks my friend! I hope we can get to work together in the future on malignant hematology projects! It is interesting we only have UPMC interview in common. I can't say for most of the programs, but I do think MD Anderson is a great program if you want to do leukemia. I rotated there for one month. The fellowship is very supportive and camaraderie is friendly. Many faculty are leaders in leukemia too (Dr. Kantarjian, Dr. Garcia-Manerro, Dr. DiNardo, etc.). Houston is very affordable and you will enjoy lots of great food.

Hey All,
Below is my initial ROL.

Wash U (St Louis MO)
University of Iowa
OHSU
Dartmouth
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond
Medical University of South Carolina

Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush Medical Center
St Louis University

I am not sure about the order of Dartmouth, VCU and MUSC. Can you please help me with these 3 Any suggestions especially. @gutonc and @IM_applicant

Hey All,
Below is my initial ROL.

Wash U (St Louis MO)
University of Iowa
OHSU
Dartmouth
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond
Medical University of South Carolina

Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush Medical Center
St Louis University

I am not sure about the order of Dartmouth, VCU and MUSC. Can you please help me with these 3 Any suggestions especially. @gutonc and @IM_applicant
Nice list and totally reasonable order. I'd put those 3 the exact way you did it, but it's easy to make an argument for just about any order. If that's how you liked them, certify your list and call it a day.

Nice list and totally reasonable order. I'd put those 3 the exact way you did it, but it's easy to make an argument for just about any order. If that's how you liked them, certify your list and call it a day.
thanks for your reply. I was questioning between these 3 due to the number of spots available and location.
Dartmouth is a comprehensive center but takes only 3 fellows. Location: Small town.
VCU: 5 fellows, NCI designated but not comprehensive, Richmond nice place to live.
MUSC: 4 fellows, NCI designated, 4 fellows. Charleston is a good area.

Also not sure about the reputation of these three programs. Interested more in soild. Any idea about the reputation of these three

thanks for your reply. I was questioning between these 3 due to the number of spots available and location.
Dartmouth is a comprehensive center but takes only 3 fellows. Location: Small town.
VCU: 5 fellows, NCI designated but not comprehensive, Richmond nice place to live.
MUSC: 4 fellows, NCI designated, 4 fellows. Charleston is a good area.

Also not sure about the reputation of these three programs. Interested more in soild. Any idea about the reputation of these three
As I said, I'd rank them exactly that way.

Final ROL. interested in solids
1. Moffitt
2. Case Western
3. University of Cinncinati
4. Ochsner
5. University of Louisville
6. University of New Mexico

Any suggestions will be appreciated. @gutonc

Good morning,

Just to clarify, next steps after interviews: Update ERAS with NRMP ID, Do the Ranking list, Certify the list...wait for the match.
Am I missing any step?
Probably is a dump question. My NRMP ID starts with a letter, should I write just the numbers at ERAS or complete with the letter?

Um yes I second this question..do we include the letter or not? hahaha

Final ROL. interested in solids
1. Moffitt
2. Case Western
3. University of Cinncinati
4. Ochsner
5. University of Louisville
6. University of New Mexico

Any suggestions will be appreciated. @gutonc

New Mexico is NCI Comprehensive, not sure that Ochsner, L’ville or Cincinnati are.

# # Hello guys,
Interested in solid tumors. How would you rank the following programs from the Midwest:

- University of Cincinnati
- Karmanos Cancer Institute /Wayne State University - Detroit
- University of Nebraska

Thank you so much in advance!!

New Mexico is NCI Comprehensive, not sure that Ochsner, L’ville or Cincinnati are.

No they are not. Cinci has strong phase 1. The last three is by location. As far as UNM only 2 fellows per year and program tend to be busier, Ochsner and UoL ranked higher.

# # Hello guys,
Interested in solid tumors. How would you rank the following programs from the Midwest:

- University of Cincinnati
- Karmanos Cancer Institute /Wayne State University - Detroit
- University of Nebraska

Thank you so much in advance!!
I think Karmanos should be your number 1. As a city Cincinnati is better than Detroit.

What are your thoughts on sending emails to programs that we’re interested in, expressing interest or telling them that we’re ranking them high?
Thanks!

What are your thoughts on sending emails to programs that we’re interested in, expressing interest or telling them that we’re ranking them high?
Thanks!

think about how a pd will perceive “I have interest, im ranking you high”

hint; they know that means they’re not you’re number 1 so it doesn’t help and could hurt. There is no problem sending your number 1 a“you’re my number 1” email if you mean it. It’s unlikely to help or hurt. But the I’m ranking you high makes absolutely no sense and you should avoid it

think about how a pd will perceive “I have interest, im ranking you high”

hint; they know that means they’re not you’re number 1 so it doesn’t help and could hurt. There is no problem sending your number 1 a“you’re my number 1” email if you mean it. It’s unlikely to help or hurt. But the I’m ranking you high makes absolutely no sense and you should avoid it
I think sending an "I'm ranking you 1" can help and people in several programs (PD and others) recommended doing this (unofficially). So I would definitely send your #1 an email. I'm also not sure what to do about the rest (say 2-4) which I would be very very happy with too

I think sending an "I'm ranking you 1" can help and people in several programs (PD and others) recommended doing this (unofficially). So I would definitely send your #1 an email. I'm also not sure what to do about the rest (say 2-4) which I would be very very happy with too

I can promise that telling your 2-4 that you’re really really very highly liking and considering them is so clearly bs and they can see right through it. I say this from a ton of experience with this stuff, Like I said, may not hurt but definitely will not help. The number 1 email is much less risky, but make sure you only send to the one program you’d be ranking number 1. And my recommendation doesn’t fall into the “definitely” do this category. In fact many programs are now adopting a no communication post interview policy similar to IM programs so much of this will be moot I imagine over the next few application seasons as more programs adopt this.

Thanks!

I know some people who are sending #1 email to every program in their rank list. lol. If I would be the PD, obviously would not believe any of these emails.

Also, I was told in some of my IVs that they rank all applicants at the end of each IV day. To me, that means sending email much later would not change their mind.

I know some people who are sending #1 email to every program in their rank list. lol. If I would be the PD, obviously would not believe any of these emails.

Also, I was told in some of my IVs that they rank all applicants at the end of each IV day. To me, that means sending email much later would not change their mind.

I will never understand the people that do this. An excellent way to get blacklisted when it comes to future jobs

I will never understand the people that do this. An excellent way to get blacklisted when it comes to future jobs

It is unlikely for one program to know that you sent the same email to a different program in different location. But the point is these are probably like spam emails for PDs. Because they probably get this kind of emails a lot.

It is unlikely for one program to know that you sent the same email to a different program in different location. But the point is these are probably like spam emails for PDs. Because they probably get this kind of emails a lot.

except that program that you said was your number 1 (and for the applicant who does it to all programs on their rank list) and you don’t match and you were ranked to Match they will obviously know they were in fact not ranked number 1. PDs fume at this when then get burned. Thus many don’t even take it that seriously. And getting blacklisted is a real thing and PDs do talk

Trying to decide between fox chase vs ut southwestern. Any thoughts between which program is better?

Anyone interviewed at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston McGovern Medical School Hematology-Oncology Fellowship program ..? By when does the day end ..?

I completely disagree. It is a very very small world and the PDs talk to each other and know each other. Think about how many people at the programs you interview at know people in your program or people you have worked with. If someone sends multiple "I'm ranking you 1st" emails that is very unprofessional and may hurt you in the future.

I can promise that telling your 2-4 that you’re really really very highly liking and considering them is so clearly bs and they can see right through it. I say this from a ton of experience with this stuff, Like I said, may not hurt but definitely will not help. The number 1 email is much less risky, but make sure you only send to the one program you’d be ranking number 1. And my recommendation doesn’t fall into the “definitely” do this category. In fact many programs are now adopting a no communication post interview policy similar to IM programs so much of this will be moot I imagine over the next few application seasons as more programs adopt this.
Thanks! Helpful to know.

I wish more programs would instate a no communication policy. It makes much more sense.