Hematology/Oncology 2019-2020 Fellowship Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anybody interview at duke and get a thank you email from them after it was done?

Members don't see this ad.

I completely disagree. It is a very very small world and the PDs talk to each other and know each other. Think about how many people at the programs you interview at know people in your program or people you have worked with. If someone sends multiple "I'm ranking you 1st" emails that is very unprofessional and may hurt you in the future.

Thanks! Helpful to know.

I wish more programs would instate a no communication policy. It makes much more sense.
I completely disagree. It is a very very small world and the PDs talk to each other and know each other. Think about how many people at the programs you interview at know people in your program or people you have worked with. If someone sends multiple "I'm ranking you 1st" emails that is very unprofessional and may hurt you in the future.

Thanks! Helpful to know.

I wish more programs would instate a no communication policy. It makes much more sense.

No one said it is right thing to do...

Members don't see this ad :)
but you intimated it wasn’t a big deal and there was no way for any one to find out about it, which is patently false

No one said it is not a big deal. Yes there is no way for them to know until the match results become available. And that’s when the problem starts for an applicant who does this because it is a small world.

Can someone help me rank the following? Interested in malignant heme. Thanks in advance!

1. Brown
  2. Tufts
  3. Dartmouth
  4. UMass
  5. Northwell
  6. Robert Wood Johnson

Hey guys, mind helping me as well? Interested in malignant heme. No real location bias. Need help particularly between these options:

University of Utah
University of Arizona
Dartmouth

Thanks

How should I rank the following programs?

UAB
University of Miami

Can someone help me rank the following? Interested in malignant heme. Thanks in advance!

1. Brown
  2. Tufts
  3. Dartmouth
  4. UMass
  5. Northwell
  6. Robert Wood Johnson
That looks like a reasonable way to rank. I would also rank Brown 1st. Your 2-4 seem pretty similar to me so depending on where you want to live I think you could make a case for ranking them in any order you want. What were your impressions of the programs?

Hey guys, mind helping me as well? Interested in malignant heme. No real location bias. Need help particularly between these options:

University of Utah
University of Arizona
Dartmouth

Thanks
Would also rank Utah first. Don't know anything about Arizona

Is it a problem if I just created my NRMP account? Is there a chance that programs won't rank me because I created my account a bit late?

Members don't see this ad :)
  • Moffitt?
  • City Of Hope?
  • Case Western/UH?
  • UB/Roswell Park
  • University of Minnesota
  • Yale
  • Mayo Jacksonville
  • University of Cincinnati
  • Virginia Commonwealth U
  • Kansas UMC
  • U Nebraska MC
  • UF Gainesville
  • West Virginia U
  • Hofstra/Northwell
  • Boston U
  • Orlando Health
Need help ranking these! Interested in malignant heme/TCT. Not sure about the first 7 bold programs.
Very confused about where city of hope should be since it seems strong in malignant heme and BMT but is apparently a new program since they broke their ties with UCLA.
Lots of family in Buffalo - a little bit bias!

Will appreciate some advice!

Is it a problem if I just created my NRMP account? Is there a chance that programs won't rank me because I created my account a bit late?
I think you worry too much.
Instead I wonder whether anyone has the same problem as I had today, the NRMP identifies me and guided me to use the same ID as residency match. Does it matter ? Please advise

Reactions: 1 user
I too have the same ID as residency, I am guessing that is normal. I am the same person after all :p

Univ of Miami vs Albert Einstein Montefiore ? Any thoughts on how to rank or both of them similar ?

i am in the same situation and have same concern. I was thinking of reaching out to the programs. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

• Moffitt?
  • City Of Hope?
  • Case Western/UH?
  • UB/Roswell Park
  • University of Minnesota
  • Yale
  • Mayo Jacksonville
  • University of Cincinnati
  • Virginia Commonwealth U
  • Kansas UMC
  • U Nebraska MC
  • UF Gainesville
  • West Virginia U
  • Hofstra/Northwell
  • Boston U
  • Orlando Health
Need help ranking these! Interested in malignant heme/TCT. Not sure about the first 7 bold programs.
Very confused about where city of hope should be since it seems strong in malignant heme and BMT but is apparently a new program since they broke their ties with UCLA.
Lots of family in Buffalo - a little bit bias!

Will appreciate some advice!

What are your thoughts on this rank list @gutonc

Will appreciate some advice on the following three. Which of the three would be more helpful in landing an academic thoracic job?

Montefiore/Einstein - chair is a thoracic oncologist, NCI cancer center, 18 months of research
Mayo Jacksonville - weak history of academic placement but plentiful of resources from all Mayo sites, 10-11 months of research scattered through 3 years, a new thoracic attending with recent K funding
University of Cincinnati - not an NCI cancer center. program is trying to be productive in academic output, 18 months of research

Interested in solids - thoracic particularly and experimental therapeutics. Career goal is to academic thoracic oncologist with translational/clinical research.

No geographic preference. Thanks in advance

Hi all- I’m a US- FMG, I’ve had 13 interviews but there are 3 programs that seem terribly malignant, lots of red flags- yes predictably located in north East... is it better to go unmatched then wind up at terrible place? Anyone else having these thoughts?

Hi all- I’m a US- FMG, I’ve had 13 interviews but there are 3 programs that seem terribly malignant, lots of red flags- yes predictably located in north East... is it better to go unmatched then wind up at terrible place? Anyone else having these thoughts?
You tell us. For some people the answer will be yes, others it will be no.

That said, based on last year's Charting Outcomes for Hem/Onc, there's still significant improvement in match probability going from 10 --> 13 contiguous ranks for US-IMGs (~80-->90%), which is not so true for AMGs and non-US IMGs.

So you have to decide for yourself if that extra 10% or so chance is worth ending up at a program you hate.

1571174179961.png

What were those programs? Maybe people have been there and can give some input.

I was playing with the idea of not ranking all of my programs but I think I'm going to rank each one. I'd much rather be an oncologist than not and I don't think my application next year would be any better (especially having failed to match). But I haven't run into any malignant programs so that's a totally different situation.

Any comments on Michigan vs UCSF vs Cornell? Interested in solids, early phase clinical trials. Thanks

Any input on University of Cincinnati program? I have a geographical preference to this area and was thinking to rank it above some of the NCI centers where I interviewed.

Good morning, any thoughts about Brooklyn hospital? I just got an interview. Can you compare with SUNY downstate since both are located in Brooklyn?... which one would you give priority in your RL?

Something about how they were impressed with you as a candidate and hope to consider them in your future plans.

Yep got the same thing, probably just them being nice and giving us an encouraging post-interview communication

Would appreciate any advice or thoughts about the following programs. Interested in academics, solids, immunotherapy. I feel I could justify ranking the first four in any way. @gutonc

- Hopkins
- Mayo (very strong overall but not sure how strong their immunotherapy research is and not sure why it doesn't attract higher caliber fellows)
- BIDMC (do you think this should be higher? Harvard program but doesn't seem to be as good as the top tier programs to me. Correct me if I'm wrong)
- Yale
- UPMC
- Fox Chase (clinically felt better than any other program but not much immunotherapy research, unless you all know otherwise)
- Mount Sinai (cost of living seems prohibitive but do you think it's significantly better than UPMC?)

Hey guys, I have a tufts interview later this month, looking to buy a flight, anybody know when the interview actually ends? Thanks!

Would appreciate any advice or thoughts about the following programs. Interested in academics, solids, immunotherapy. I feel I could justify ranking the first four in any way. @gutonc

- Hopkins
- Mayo (very strong overall but not sure how strong their immunotherapy research is and not sure why it doesn't attract higher caliber fellows)
- BIDMC (do you think this should be higher? Harvard program but doesn't seem to be as good as the top tier programs to me. Correct me if I'm wrong)
- Yale
- UPMC
- Fox Chase (clinically felt better than any other program but not much immunotherapy research, unless you all know otherwise)
- Mount Sinai (cost of living seems prohibitive but do you think it's significantly better than UPMC?)
Seems reasonable if that's how you liked them. I'd personally move UPMC up a slot or 2 but it's also fine where it is.

I would really appreciate it if someone can give their input in the following ranking.
Undecided between heme or oncology.
On J1 so have to do waiver job, I am not too sure how it would affect your chance of getting into academics.
1. Moffitt
2. Weill Cornell, NY presbyterian
3. University of Maryland
4. Baylor hospital, Houston
5. UC Irvine

I would really appreciate it if someone can give their input in the following ranking.
Undecided between heme or oncology.
On J1 so have to do waiver job, I am not too sure how it would affect your chance of getting into academics.
1. Moffitt
2. Weill Cornell, NY presbyterian
3. University of Maryland
4. Baylor hospital, Houston
5. UC Irvine

Would suspect you can get a waiver job somewhere in Texas, potentially even an academic job, in an underserved area eg Texas Tech, Scott and White in which case Baylor would better position you. Baylor also seems like one of the most well rounded, clinically busy, but will give you good Heme and Onc exposure.

Are you sure the reputation of BU is better than Brown? BU seems to be up and coming with the new director and tons of facilities plus advantage of cross-collaboration being in Boston. Brown's hospital seemed smaller? And not really sure if they have good clinical/basic science research labs? BU's cancer center looked almost on par with an NCI-designated center to me...
I would rank BU over Brown unless you prefer the location or some specific aspect of the program.

Thoughts on ranking OHSU vs Indiana for solids? Indiana is close to wife’s family and they seem strong but OHSU also seemed great.
Family is important. If your wife is happy... perhaps you reproduce and her family helps with child care. You are a person and not just a career. It is okay to make that a priority. Life is short.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone with suggestions for interest in solid tumors (lung or GI) on how to rank:

OHSU
UChicago
Northwestern
WashU St Louis
UPMC

Hi all,

I would appreciate you guys' help with ranking the following programs. I am interested in malignant hematology research, and want to do clinical trials and some translational research in the future. I don't have geographical restriction, but I slightly prefer to live in a city. However, if training quality and mentorship are superb, then those are the most important things to me. The following is my current rank order.

-Mayo Clinic Rochester
-UCSF
-Stanford
-Cornell
-UPMC
-Cleveland Clinic
-Moffitt

I am very indecisive among the above seven. I had the best interview experience in Mayo Rochester, and I really liked the faculty and fellows. Mayo is also strong in myeloma and lymphoma, and they have lots of great clinical trials and databases. However, I slightly prefer to live in a city because I am single. For my career goal, do you think it will be an unwise decision if I switch UCSF, Stanford or Cornell with Mayo Rochester? I feel Cornell and Stanford emphasize a lot on basic science, though, but less on clinical research/training. There is also MSKCC next to Cornell too. I haven't done interviews at UCSF or UPMC. Both interviews are very late, so I decide to ask you guys now.

-University of Minnesota
-University of Colorado
-Emory University
-City of Hope
-USC
-University of Wisconsin
-University of Miami
-UAB

I will be grateful if you can share your thoughts for my list. @gutonc
There are many great options here - feel confident in your decision to rank by how you liked them, taking everything into account including your personal life.

Any thoughts on Dartmouth vs. Thomas Jefferson in terms of clinical training, academic reputation and research opportunities (not factoring the location). Thanks

Hi All,

Could you please help me with rank order. I will be very grateful for the help.

1) Montefiore
2) Stony Brook
3) Roger Williams, Rhode Island
4) Westchester medical center
5) Brooklyn Methodist Hospital

I confused with 2 and 3. Should I rank Roger Williams on top of Stony Brook? Any help is kindly appreciated. Thank you All.

Hi! Can you guys help me ranking this programs. I am still undifferentiated of which type of malignancy (breast vs Lung vs Malig Heme) but definitely want to be in academics. Location bias is a place that is relatively affordable with young kids and with descent schools.

1. U MIchigan
2. U Colorado
3. NIH
4. OHSU
5. Cleveland Clinic
6. Univ of Minnesota
7. Indiana Univ
8. UCSD

Any thoughts on Dartmouth vs. Thomas Jefferson in terms of clinical training, academic reputation and research opportunities (not factoring the location). Thanks

Clinical Training: Jefferson (clinically heavier)

Academic Reputation: Dartmouth is Ivy League and NCI Comprehensive

Research Opportunities: Dartmouth (probably gets the edge)

Really depends what you are looking for. Jefferson is in a good location and great for private practice and certain areas within academics. Outcompeted locally by University of Pennsylvania in certain areas. Dartmouth is an excellent academic program but in a more rural location, carries Ivy League prestige and does offer strong research opportunities.

Last edited:
Hi! Can you guys help me ranking this programs. I am still undifferentiated of which type of malignancy (breast vs Lung vs Malig Heme) but definitely want to be in academics. Location bias is a place that is relatively affordable with young kids and with descent schools.

1. U MIchigan
2. U Colorado
3. NIH
4. OHSU
5. Cleveland Clinic
6. Univ of Minnesota
7. Indiana Univ
8. UCSD

Looks reasonable. Bethesda and surrounding area are pricier than say Cleveland but NIH is better than CCF.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All,

Could you please help me with rank order. I will be very grateful for the help.

1) Montefiore
2) Stony Brook
3) Roger Williams, Rhode Island
4) Westchester medical center
5) Brooklyn Methodist Hospital

I confused with 2 and 3. Should I rank Roger Williams on top of Stony Brook? Any help is kindly appreciated. Thank you All.

Looks reasonable. Would maybe consider bumping Westchester over Roger Williams unless you really liked Providence.

Last edited: