Heme/Onc application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Relax guys. It's still not panic time yet. I would say after the 2nd week in Feb would be panic time. Some big name institutions still haven't handed out interviews. I've also received a few emails from program directors this week saying my application is still being reviewed. Stay positive guys, and once again, best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbdown:
University of Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio, Temple/Chase, Albert Einstein. Anyone hear from Chicago?

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup:DFCI, BIDMC, Penn
Waiting: Cornell, Memorial/Sloan

Yeah, heard back from the Hutch late last night (1/19) regarding interview dates.

*Feb 20, 2009 (Fri)
*Mar 6, 2009 (Fri)
*Mar 24, 2009 (Tue)
*Mar 27, 2009 (Fri)
*Mar 31, 2009 (Tue)
*Apr 3, 2009 (Fri)

Hope that helps.

dear west coast thank you for the information. Sorry it took me so long to reply back

That's awesome westcoast..congratulations!! that's one of the best programs esp for hem. Doconc: did you get an interview too? Did anyone else get invite from there?

Yes marro, I did get an invite from there.

Hey guys those who have IVs, if you could post the dates that you guys are going for IVs, maybe we could bump into each other. What do you guys think about this. Also if someone is coming to IU to interview, you are more than welcome to stay at my place.

Things were kind of slow this week. Hopefully tomorrow we'll hear from programs.

:thumbdown: Baylor univ, DFCI, BIDMC, Cleveland Clinic, Iowa, Univ Minn, Mayo, Ohio state and maybe Fox chase.

So those who haven't received any IVs or rejections, there is still hope. Good luck to all those who have invites and may everyone match.

Is there anybody like me? I have got just one rej from BIDMC and haven't heard from many programs - like fox/chase, Upenn, mayo, columbia , etc...- do they send rejections to every body or not? should I send them an email and ask about the status of my application? It's been a week that I haven't heard from any program - IV/rej -

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anybody like me? I have got just one rej from BIDMC and haven't heard from many programs - like fox/chase, Upenn, mayo, columbia , etc...- do they send rejections to every body or not? should I send them an email and ask about the status of my application? It's been a week that I haven't heard from any program - IV/rej -

Yes, MDgoing4MPH- There are definitely many more like u and me. I got couple of rejections+interviews in the beginning- but still havent heard from like 85-90% of the programs I applied to. Hopefully, things will get better for me in Feb:D. Good luck to all.

I don't have ANY rejections......even from BIDMC which I applied to :confused:

Are you planning to contact some programs that have already sent invitations? I know it's most probably rejection but it's good to at least cross out that program completely.

:thumbdown: Mayo Clinic

I think we can expect a rush of more interviews til the first 2 weeks of Feb, after that expect the 2nd rounders due to cancellations

IV from Univ. of Iowa. They have a dinner after IV at PD's house, with some fellows and faculty. Is it good to go for dinner? What is the drawback of it? I am not a very social person, and do not know if it is good for me to go. Thank you for your input!

:thumbdown: rejection UNC Chapel Hill by email today

My IV and rejections so far

IV: Moffitt, Northwestern, NCI, Yale, South Carolina

Rejections: Dana Farber, Mayo, Cleveland clinic, Fox Chase, UNC, Ohio State, Montefiore, Minnesota.

Still under consideration at Colorado (I am dying to get an IV there) and many more that I have not heard from.... I am very anxious...

Thanks
Helops

rej thomas jeff,

at least they are working and sending emails :)

so far :
IV: NCI, Yale, U Min, USC, Montefier, Baylor, UTSW, BU
rej: BIDMC and Thomas Jeff.

Last edited:
UCSD interview. they will call next week for scheduling the date. :)

Ive only heard from a very few of the programs I applied to.

Is it customary to send rejection letters if theyre not interested in you or only some of the programs do that?

I ask this coz some of the people here have heard (either IV or rejection) from the programs I applied to and I havent heard from them. This is confusing me.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Hey guys, when you receive the interview e-mail from PD thru eras distribution mail, do you usually give them some kind of thank you e-mail?

I was wondering they might feel anoying if all the applicant responded to the e-mail.

Does it matter??

Ive only heard from a very few of the programs I applied to.

Is it customary to send rejection letters if theyre not interested in you or only some of the programs do that?

I ask this coz some of the people here have heard (either IV or rejection) from the programs I applied to and I havent heard from them. This is confusing me.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Dear tykerb,

Most programs send out either acceptance or rejectio letters/e-mail to most candidates. Some do them as they sort applicants and some do them at the end (especially rejections) when they are done with their quota of inviting all eligible applicants. Be patient, I am sure you will hear from most programs by 2nd week of Feb. Hope this helps.

Dear tykerb,

Most programs send out either acceptance or rejectio letters/e-mail to most candidates. Some do them as they sort applicants and some do them at the end (especially rejections) when they are done with their quota of inviting all eligible applicants. Be patient, I am sure you will hear from most programs by 2nd week of Feb. Hope this helps.

Thanks Doconc!

I am feeling a little anxious coz as I read through the thread, I noticed that some of the programs I want have sent out either IV or rejection to some while I havent heard from them. I have scheduled some IVs and have received rejections as well. I'll be a lot comfortable if I know the real score with the other programs I've applied to. I guess that applies to ALL of us here.

Good luck to all of us!!! May we be as triumphant as the participants in the previous threads had been.

rejection UCSF. I would appreciate if everone in this forum post their interviews and rejections so that we know which programs sent out their invite. Most of the programs would have already sent out the invites as it is almost the end of January!!

past 1 wk:thumbup: osu (phone call), roger williams (email)

still waiting to hear from: ohsu, lombardi, hutch, mskcc, unc, uva, upmc, penn. my hunch is that they will be rejections though.

past 1 wk:thumbup: osu (phone call), roger williams (email)

still waiting to hear from: ohsu, lombardi, hutch, mskcc, unc, uva, upmc, penn. my hunch is that they will be rejections though.

Thanks carrigallen

finally it came! Rej from Fox/Chase through snail mail!
I think next week is going to be THE week of IVs/REJs!

In case we are compiling lists of programs who have either sent invites or rejections, these are programs I've heard from (most :thumbdown:, a couple :thumbup: for me):

Dana Farber
Fox Chase
Baylor
Mayo
Oklahoma
Cleveland Clinic
Iowa
U of Maryland
U of Minnesota
Albert Einstein - Montefiore

I do require a H1B visa and hence could not apply to many programs who do not sponsor. There are a few others who say that they sponsor H1Bs but have not sponsored any in the last 5 years or so and a couple of PDs I had contacted earlier say that they would rather not spend the hundreds of thousands of dollars needed to have a fellow on H1B. That being said, there are people on H1Bs getting in - their applications may be stronger. This seems like an uphill battle for me. Quite a few programs that I have applied to have sent out invites and some rejections - though I have got nothing yet.
Wish everyone the best.

Applied: Fred Hutch, UCSF, Stanford, UC Davis

Interviews: Fred Hutch, UCSF, UC Davis

Waiting: Stanford

Suspense: killing me :scared:

:thumbup: thomas jefferson. Very excited. Interview dates all mondays feb to april.

:thumbdown: big no from Hutch.
:thumbup:UNC

Last edited:
Hutch- e-mail saying I am on "Wait list" :confused::confused:

Never had similar e-mail like this... anyone having same experience??

me2. it's a weired email. kind of we don't want to give you interview but we will, well, maybe no, well maybe yes! ... funny :)

Thanks, felt better that I am not the only one... GL!

Do you guys think that we are in the second round of interview granting, or are the programs still going through the applications and granting initial interviews still?

Thanks in advance for your input.

No, you are still very much in the first round of interviews. My program hasn't offered a single interview yet (part of this, I think, is because we just announced a huge change in division leadership and they were waiting for this to settle out). I got my last interview (2 years ago) in late Feb. I think if you haven't heard in 4 or 5 weeks then things are getting sketchy.

what's wrong with Emory program coordinator??
this is her fifth email telling - probably every body- that your file has been received and we will contact u NO LATER THAN APRIL first !!!

:thumbup: U Mass today by email, interview dates in March and April

Oh ! I can't believe that !!!
they invited me for Duke interview!!!! interviews in Feb !
OMG!

I just got IVs from MDACC and NYU! Big surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.