Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one heard from Penn State? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just when I thought everything was done got 2 invites from Med College Wisconsin and Wake Forest University (like I said I applied everywhere location means nothing to me). I know I'm most likely on their "B" list since I got the emails this late in the game but hey an interview is an interview. That makes total 8.

Congratulations... thats an awesome feeling, 2 invites in one day...

Just when I thought everything was done got 2 invites from Med College Wisconsin and Wake Forest University (like I said I applied everywhere location means nothing to me). I know I'm most likely on their "B" list since I got the emails this late in the game but hey an interview is an interview. That makes total 8.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have gone into the last phase (last 1/3) of interview calls for those of you counting on more interviews. This might go on until mid march. I have been updating the list based on postings on this forum. It stands at 75 so far. I think there are about 130 programs in total.

Mayo-Arizona, Tulane, NYMC (Our Lady Mercy), New Mexico, Staten Island, NYMC (West chester) and Oklahama are some which I have not come across on this forum so far.

Personally I managed 5 interviews, 1 wait list (what ever it means) and 17 documented rejections out of 60 programs (ERAS+ Non ERAS) applied so far. It turns out to be very competitive as expected (ERAS effect!!!). Let's hope for the best. Good Luck.:thumbup:
Mayo - Arizona and Staten Island have already sent out interviews and rejections, Oklahoma has sent its inteviews almost a month ago. I am not aware of New Mexico and NYMC..
Good Luck folks !

So for those of you who have already been out on interviews (or for those who matched last year) what are some good questions to ask at interviews? I'm going for a research pathway fellowship so questions about success in getting K-08 awards, how well the institution/program/dept supports research(ers), office support for grant filing and the like are things I'll be interested in finding out. But what other sorts of things have people been using to get a handle on different programs?

Hi Guys
I am new to the forum. I am a resident in Case Western Reserve University .Last year I had only 1 interview, this year I got 9 interviews so far. I just found the forum yesterday and I will be happy to help. Please let me know if you need anything

I just called the PA of the UAMC program and she told me that they will send out invitations today or early tomorrow. Be ready!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy to join this nice forum

You were right on spot Cancer Kid - Got an interview from UAMS today !!

Hey Borte
When you are interviewing? I will go on 4/6/2007.

for those of you interested in california programs, just got an interview with harbor ucla. they interview on mondays from 10am to 12pm, sounds like a short day.

still no news from:
stanford
usc
olive-view/cedars sinai
ucsd

For those applying in New York, just got an invitation from SUNY Downstate.... They interview on Fridays in march... they have 4 positions, but at least one in house perhaps more...

Hi Cancer kid..I am there on the same day .. 6th of April..

Hey Everyone,

Loyola finally sent out interview offers yesterday (starting March 1st through April). Just waiting on UofChicago to get back to me now...

I've only been to 3 places so far, can't wait to hear what everyone thinks about their respective programs once more people have gone through the process.

Any programs out there that you guys regret not applying to after talking to more people? I only applied to 17 places (partly due to my S.O., partly due to fear of outright rejection). Kinda wish I would have sent out a feeler to Hopkins, but oh well. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone writing thank you notes to all of the individual interviewers? If so, are they paper thank yous or emails?

Hello Everyone I am new to this forum, but in middle of fellowship application to heme/onc all over country. I thought about this and even called a secretary to one of the PD's at a top 10 cancer center. The fact is that these doctors are quite busy and actually get cluttered by these thank you letters. If you think about it, how would a thank you letter make you a stronger candidate for fellowship. It doesn't! Now, for courtesy its a nice thing to do, but only for that reason. No one who is qualified and and interviewed well who doesn't write a thank you letter is going to be passed up. Hope that helps, but if you must do it, email is better now a days due to busy schedule, but letter is more formal.

ITP-East Coast doc

Has Anyone been to Jefferson in philly? I was wondering if I should go there or if FCCC and Penn are really the only ones worth visiting?

What did people think if U Chicago? I am not sure if want to spend plane ticket to go out there. I can't comment on Northwestern or Rush, but people I know in Chicago definetely recommend those 3 and those 3 only for big time onc programs.

What did people think of Southern programs? Its a lot different than the north, some ways good and some ways kinda not so good.

Thanks all and off to MICU baby :smuggrin: this week.
i

anyone heard anything from stanford or ucsd lately? anyone gave them a call?

I wanted the 15th but they told me only 22nd is available , don't know if anybody is willing to switch.

This thread has been quiet for a while. Are people all busy interviewing?

Has anyone visited Mayo Clinic in Rochester and OHSU? Would you like to share your interview experience? -It'll be much appreciated.

please anybody did at cornell Newyork

please feedback for interview

by the way so many rejections season....even more than I applied :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Interviewed at Mayo- Rochester not at OHSU. very impressed with Mayo. Very strong clinical program with adequate focus on research as well, though they expect you to spend a total of 4 years. (certification is 3 ofcourse but additional year of research is preferred)

Interview in a very cordial, easy going manner. They have a committe interview as well- about 8 interviewers together- 30 mins-Good part- I am sure they decide then and there about where to rank you- They will give you an indication as well.
Rochester, otherwise is too cold and small:)

This thread has been quiet for a while. Are people all busy interviewing?

Has anyone visited Mayo Clinic in Rochester and OHSU? Would you like to share your interview experience? -It'll be much appreciated.

Guys,
I am pretty new to this one and am amazed to find that there is a forum for most of the specialties including Hem/ Onc. I have not heard from many programs except rejections so far. From what I understand, it is going to be second list and third lists now. Have you guys heard from CASE WESTERN, U of Pittsburgh, U of Illinois, Uof CO. Do we really have to call the programs and let them know that we are interested even before getting the interviews?
Fill in,
Tositumomab :luck:

Hi,
Case Western sent an email invite 2 hours ago....saying that they had been running late and such.
Pitt had sent out first batch of invites a month or so ago...

I think you are right in assuming that for most programs (other than perhaps Case and such)...it is the second list and so on...but even if they call from second list, my assumption is they didn't find appropriate candidates in the first cut....so if i get a call, won't worry too much on the first/second list..

Calling the coordinator can help check the status, but unlikely to swing their decision either way...haven't called any PD so no idea on how that would help...
All the best:thumbup:
-S

Guys,
I am pretty new to this one and am amazed to find that there is a forum for most of the specialties including Hem/ Onc. I have not heard from many programs except rejections so far. From what I understand, it is going to be second list and third lists now. Have you guys heard from CASE WESTERN, U of Pittsburgh, U of Illinois, Uof CO. Do we really have to call the programs and let them know that we are interested even before getting the interviews?
Fill in,
Tositumomab :luck:

Interesting:

Journal of Oncology Practice, Vol 3, No 2 (March), 2007: pp. 79-86

Future Supply and Demand for Oncologists : Challenges to Assuring Access to Oncology Services
Clese Erikson, MPAff, Edward Salsberg, MPA, Gaetano Forte, BA, Suanna Bruinooge, BA, Michael Goldstein, MD
Purpose: To conduct a comprehensive analysis of supply of and demand for oncology services through 2020. This study was commissioned by the Board of Directors of ASCO.

Methods: New data on physician supply gathered from surveys of practicing oncologists, oncology fellows, and fellowship program directors were analyzed, along with 2005 American Medical Association Masterfile data on practicing medical oncologists, hematologists/oncologists, and gynecologic oncologists, to determine the baseline capacity and to forecast visit capacity through 2020. Demand for visits was calculated by applying age-, sex-, and time-from-diagnosis-visit rate data from the National Cancer Institute's analysis of the 1998 to 2002 Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) database to the National Cancer Institute's cancer incidence and prevalence projections. The cancer incidence and prevalence projections were calculated by applying a 3-year average (2000–2002) of age- and sex-specific cancer rates from SEER to the US Census Bureau population projections released on March 2004. The baseline supply and demand forecasts assume no change in cancer care delivery and physician practice patterns. Alternate scenarios were constructed by changing assumptions in the baseline models.

Results: Demand for oncology services is expected to rise rapidly, driven by the aging and growth of the population and improvements in cancer survival rates, at the same time the oncology workforce is aging and retiring in increasing numbers. Demand is expected to rise 48% between 2005 and 2020. The supply of services provided by oncologists during this time is expected to grow more slowly, approximately 14%, based on the current age distribution and practice patterns of oncologists and the number of oncology fellowship positions. This translates into a shortage of 9.4 to 15.0 million visits, or 2,550 to 4,080 oncologists—roughly one-quarter to one-third of the 2005 supply. The baseline projections do not include any alterations based on changes in practice patterns, service use, or cancer treatments. Various alternate scenarios were also developed to show how supply and demand might change under different assumptions.

Conclusions: ASCO, policy makers, and the public have major challenges ahead of them to forestall likely shortages in the capacity to meet future demand for oncology services. A multifaceted strategy will be needed to ensure that Americans have access to oncology services in 2020, as no single action will fill the likely gap between supply and demand. Among the options to consider are increasing the number of oncology fellowship positions, increasing use of nonphysician clinicians, increasing the role of primary care physicians in the care of patients in remission, and redesigning service delivery.

So...finally got the rejection from U of Chicago yesterday over the phone (after 3 phone calls and 1 email) :oops: They kept informing me that they had sent an email 2 wks ago that I never received. Also, a friend of mine just got an offer from Hopkins last week (they had sent him an email asking why he hadn't replied to their initial interview offer...which he never received as well). --Moral of the story, don't be afraid to make phone calls if you haven't heard from a program yet.

Also got the Case Western offer yesterday but will have to cancel.

Programs seen thus far: Northwestern, MSKCC, Albert Einstein Montefiore, UofMichigan, Rush University.

Anybody else been to these places yet? Any opinions?

Been to U Mich. looks a solid program. As opposed to Mayo, whose strength seemed to be clinical training/research, Mich's strength seems to be in basic research. Nice faculty, went out of their way to make comfortable. They have ambitious growth plans specially in stem cell/bmt.

So...finally got the rejection from U of Chicago yesterday over the phone (after 3 phone calls and 1 email) :oops: They kept informing me that they had sent an email 2 wks ago that I never received. Also, a friend of mine just got an offer from Hopkins last week (they had sent him an email asking why he hadn't replied to their initial interview offer...which he never received as well). --Moral of the story, don't be afraid to make phone calls if you haven't heard from a program yet.

Also got the Case Western offer yesterday but will have to cancel.

Programs seen thus far: Northwestern, MSKCC, Albert Einstein Montefiore, UofMichigan, Rush University.

Anybody else been to these places yet? Any opinions?

Hello,

I have questions in regards to applying for Heme/Onc fellowships:

1. Some residents have told me that getting into any fellowships, the USMLE Step 1, 2, and 3 scores are not important anymore. Is this true? Then how is it that Cardiology and GI are more competitive to get into? What do they based the competition on?
2. I am very interested in Heme/Onc fellowship. and I will be a resident at a pretty big-name institution but my boards scores are just somewhat above average. Are there ways to improve my chances of securing a Heme/Onc fellowship?

Thank you for help.

just got an interview from USC today. so some programs are just slow, especially out west...

still waiting on stanford, ucsd, and olive view/cedars.

Hello,

I have questions in regards to applying for Heme/Onc fellowships:

1. Some residents have told me that getting into any fellowships, the USMLE Step 1, 2, and 3 scores are not important anymore. Is this true? Then how is it that Cardiology and GI are more competitive to get into? What do they based the competition on?
2. I am very interested in Heme/Onc fellowship. and I will be a resident at a pretty big-name institution but my boards scores are just somewhat above average. Are there ways to improve my chances of securing a Heme/Onc fellowship?

Thank you for help.

Scores are among THE most important criteria for filtering the huge volume of applicants to each program. Also most of the programs give scores a lot of importance. That is unfortunate and maybe unfair to some.

In general I don't think scores are important anymore. It helps if you don't have anything else, no publications, etc. I think letters, publications and your IM program are the most important factors.

My fiance finally matched today :D , so I get to cancel almost all of my remaining interviews. Maybe some more spots will open up for those who are still waiting...

In no particular order:
-"buh-bye" Loyola Univ
-"see ya" Mt Sinai
-"ta-ta" Cornell
-"good-bye" MD Anderson
-"peace out" Univ of Maryland
-"TTYL" Case Western
-"BF4evr" Ohio State
-"ciao" UTSW

My credit card is gonna thank me for this! Good luck people.

In general I don't think scores are important anymore. It helps if you don't have anything else, no publications, etc. I think letters, publications and your IM program are the most important factors.

Two scenarios, of my fellow residents, last year applicants.
First resident, ok program, no research,ok letters, scores 99/99 got offers early in the game from 3 programs.
Second resident, very good letters, research experience, scores 82/84 [ been a while since she took mles],same program as above , asked by an interviewer " I feel that you are an excellent candidate for our position. I am going to strongly recommend you. I just had one question -about your scores!" Did not match last year.
Scores are not the only determinants, but.....

What does anyone know about Columbia??? They have been a little less than on-the-ball re: scheduling interviews, and I don't honestly know that much about the program. Anyone have any opinions (or even been there already)? Trying to decide if it's worth another trip to NYC...

Docindi1,
Just wondering how many interviews that second residents had.... Personally, I'm a US grad with scores high 80s, great letters from big names, good community program, abstract(S) only... 7 interviews out of 25 applications... one of my colleagues, score in the 90s and simlar profile, got 13 interviews.. so i think score does matter a lot, especially for smaller programs who filters their enormous applicant pool... but so far on my interviews (6 done, 1 more at UC davis), i feel no one talks about the scores, but rather all rave about how i got these great letters from these big names... so i think the scores is important to obtain interviews, but in terms of ranking.. dont know if there is a lot of weight on it

Two scenarios, of my fellow residents, last year applicants.
First resident, ok program, no research,ok letters, scores 99/99 got offers early in the game from 3 programs.
Second resident, very good letters, research experience, scores 82/84 [ been a while since she took mles],same program as above , asked by an interviewer " I feel that you are an excellent candidate for our position. I am going to strongly recommend you. I just had one question -about your scores!" Did not match last year.
Scores are not the only determinants, but.....

I agree with Ghettomd's comments.
IMG, Community program, previous clinical experience in med onc and hematology elsewhere, scores in mid to high 90's, some research experience, 1 abstract, 1 big name letter, rest of the letters not expecting to be of much value (I have n't seen any of them).
Applied to over 50 programs early in december, 6 interviews so far, 2 from very competitive programs which includes a top place where I managed to do reserch. 1 from avg place and rest 3 from below avg places.
1 place where I interviewed, the program co ordinator told me that the PD had thoroghly gone through all,320 applications. The screening criteria used were board scores and letters. They were interviewing 60 candidates for 4 positions which includes an internal candidates. No where anybody mentioned anything about the scores. I think it's the interview which matters from now onwards. Will see....:thumbup:

I agree with Ghettomd's comments.
IMG, Community program, previous clinical experience in med onc and hematology elsewhere, scores in mid to high 90's, some research experience, 1 abstract, 1 big name letter, rest of the letters not expecting to be of much value (I have n't seen any of them).
Applied to over 50 programs early in december, 6 interviews so far, 2 from very competitive programs which includes a top place where I managed to do reserch. 1 from avg place and rest 3 from below avg places.
1 place where I interviewed, the program co ordinator told me that the PD had thoroghly gone through all,320 applications. The screening criteria used were board scores and letters. They were interviewing 60 candidates for 4 positions which includes an internal candidates. No where anybody mentioned anything about the scores. I think it's the interview which matters from now onwards. Will see....:thumbup:

- Does having a PhD offset modest scores of mid-90's for AMGs?
- Is the main interview season for Hem/Onc frm March 1 to April 15? Thank you

The main interview invitation season is from Jan-Feb, March is late in the game... most of the interview dates are from late Jan to April...

Are there AMG PhDs in this forum? Maybe you guys can speak a bit about how the interview process is for you guys... my understanding, unless you are from a top tier residency program, PhD/multiple first author publications in heme/onc are the only people getting into top tier programs (since most of these programs are looking for potential academic researchers)

- Does having a PhD offset modest scores of mid-90's for AMGs?
- Is the main interview season for Hem/Onc frm March 1 to April 15? Thank you

What does anyone know about Columbia??? They have been a little less than on-the-ball re: scheduling interviews, and I don't honestly know that much about the program. Anyone have any opinions (or even been there already)? Trying to decide if it's worth another trip to NYC...

Hey Clueless1,

Don't know much about Columbia (since I got the big fat rejection ;) ), but since no one else responded to your post I thought I'd share what little gossip I've heard. For starters, I had heard that they were in quite a bit of flux previously but just obtained a new Dept Chair/Division Head that has plans on turning the program around. On the flip side, I know they took a VERY questionable resident from my program last year, making them somewhat suspect in their selection criteria. Maybe that's why they blackballed our school this yr ;)

Changing gears, does anyone know anything about Pittsburgh's Heme/Onc program?

called stanford earlier, was informed that i'm on the 2nd hold, whatever that means... but i was told that i should "definitely" keep on checking back till the end of the month to see if i would receive an interview. if you are also waiting on stanford, you might want to call them too.

Hey MidwestMD - thanks for the heads-up about Columbia. I wouldn't stress out about not getting that interview - in NYC, there's MSKCC and then there's everyone else. Not to disparage any other programs, but anytime there's a big dog like that in town it really casts a shadow. I have heard similar things about Columbia, and a (now graduated) resident I knew went there and actually wasn't that pumped about it. I hear it's changing for the better, but I just don't know if I want to be on the front-end of that change. I'm also not thrilled about NYC, so if I go there, it'll have to be for a very good reason (coughMSKCCcough). There's a 90% chance I bail on that interview, so ultimately it'll be no different than if I had never gotten it at all.

happybob - funny timing on contacting Stanford...I guess everyone's pretty much on the same timetable these days. I emailed them asking them to make a decision on me by the end of the week, because I'm going to be in the Bay area early next month anyway and I really can't afford the time/expense/coverage to fly cross-country twice. I'm sure that will come off sounding impatient, but I was just trying to be honest with them - I won't be able to come back that way again even if they offer me an interview later, so they might as well come to a decision now. Even if it's a "no" (which is most likely), that's fine, but at least then I'd know to officially scratch them off the list...Frankly, if I'm on "2nd hold" or whatever, the odds of them ranking me to match are so frickin' low anyway, I might just as well scratch them off the list right now...

It seems that the 3rd round of interviews/ rejections is coming. I heard from 3 programs in the last 24 hrs (rejections University of Illinois and Mayo Jacksonville Florida, invite University of Miami - only one date for interview left).
Good luck to all of you! :luck:

Anyone know anything about Loyola? How does it compare to the other Chicago programs?

happybob - funny timing on contacting Stanford...I guess everyone's pretty much on the same timetable these days. I emailed them asking them to make a decision on me by the end of the week, because I'm going to be in the Bay area early next month anyway and I really can't afford the time/expense/coverage to fly cross-country twice. I'm sure that will come off sounding impatient, but I was just trying to be honest with them - I won't be able to come back that way again even if they offer me an interview later, so they might as well come to a decision now. Even if it's a "no" (which is most likely), that's fine, but at least then I'd know to officially scratch them off the list...Frankly, if I'm on "2nd hold" or whatever, the odds of them ranking me to match are so frickin' low anyway, I might just as well scratch them off the list right now...

clueless, heard anything back from stanford?

I'm also not thrilled about NYC, so if I go there, it'll have to be for a very good reason (coughMSKCCcough). There's a 90% chance I bail on that interview, so ultimately it'll be no different than if I had never gotten it at all.

FWIW, MSK is well known for doing most of their thinning up front. They got 500+ apps this year and are interviewing 50-60 folks for their 15 slots. So if you got an interview, you've got a good chance of getting a spot and it would be worth the trip if you think it's a good fit for you. Having said that, it's not a good fit for everyone. If you want to be a good general oncologist in the community or at a small academic program, MSK is not the place to train. If you want to do research, be one of the foremost world experts in a particular tumor type, etc, then it's more likely to be a good fit for you.

MSK is either 1, 2 or 3 on my list...the top 3 change pretty much daily depending on what I think I want out of my training (and whether I want to move back to NYC).

Good luck

MSK is either 1, 2 or 3 on my list...the top 3 change pretty much daily depending on what I think I want out of my training (and whether I want to move back to NYC).

Good luck

brooklyn - I was referring to Columbia when I was saying I might bail on the interview. I already went to MSKCC, loved it (like everyone else), and what I was trying to say was I'm not 100% in love with NYC, but if I moved there it would only be to go to MSK (not necessarily to go to Columbia, although I hear things are changing for the better).

happy - no word yet from Stanford. Not gonna bother to wait - as I stated earlier, what's the point at this point? They clearly are not that interested. Gonna go ahead and make my travel plans regardless.

What's the story w/ UCSF? I've heard mixed things, which is weird considering they're so good at everything else...I'd also like to know what their interview-to-available positions ratio is, so I know if it's worth schlepping all the way out there...

brooklyn - I was referring to Columbia when I was saying I might bail on the interview. I already went to MSKCC, loved it (like everyone else), and what I was trying to say was I'm not 100% in love with NYC, but if I moved there it would only be to go to MSK (not necessarily to go to Columbia, although I hear things are changing for the better).

What's the story w/ UCSF? I've heard mixed things, which is weird considering they're so good at everything else...I'd also like to know what their interview-to-available positions ratio is, so I know if it's worth schlepping all the way out there...

Oh...now that makes more sense. I hated my only other NYC interview (besides MSK) so I too will only return there for MSK.

Not sure what the deal is w/ UCSF exactly. I've heard basically the same thing from a number of people (who either trained there or were junior faculty). It's kind of messed up, they pay you crap, work you like a dog and teach you like no place else...and it's UCSF! I'm headed there in a couple of weeks (one of the last dates due to scheduling issues) so we'll see. It's going to have to be phenomenal to make me move (again) to a city I don't know and can't afford.

I'm at a point in my life (and to make things more complicated, I will have a 1 year old at that time) where I can no longer make decisions based solely on reputation...they have to prove to me that they can do something for me. This has been the common thread in my top 3 programs...they're all places that made me feel like they had something to offer me besides board eligibility and a name.

How competitive are hem/onc fellowships nowadays? On average how many applications does each program get? Can an average resident coming from an academic program, willing to relocate anywhere, pretty much get a spot for sure?

Oh...now that makes more sense. I hated my only other NYC interview (besides MSK) so I too will only return there for MSK.

Not sure what the deal is w/ UCSF exactly. I've heard basically the same thing from a number of people (who either trained there or were junior faculty). It's kind of messed up, they pay you crap, work you like a dog and teach you like no place else...and it's UCSF! I'm headed there in a couple of weeks (one of the last dates due to scheduling issues) so we'll see. It's going to have to be phenomenal to make me move (again) to a city I don't know and can't afford.

I'm at a point in my life (and to make things more complicated, I will have a 1 year old at that time) where I can no longer make decisions based solely on reputation...they have to prove to me that they can do something for me. This has been the common thread in my top 3 programs...they're all places that made me feel like they had something to offer me besides board eligibility and a name.

I hear that, brooklyn...We've all been in the game long enough at this point that for the first time in most of our lives, we're kinda sorta a little bit in the driver's seat (or at least we can pretend we are) when looking for fellowships...Not that I think I can match anywhere I want (far from it - heck, I got my fair share of rejections), but of the interviews I went to, I did take the attitude - rightly or wrongly - that the program should show me something. The days of going to the best name irrespective of everything else going on in the program are over...of course, who knows what the heck is going to happen since it's a Match now...

BTW, have you all registered for the Match yet? I completely forgot you even had to do that...I think it's through a different website (? NRMP?), and to make matters worse, you have to pay again to do it. I haven't done it yet - hopefully there's no late fee at this point. Gotta love it.

Is getting an interview at CCF for Hem/Onc competetive?

I hear that, brooklyn...We've all been in the game long enough at this point that for the first time in most of our lives, we're kinda sorta a little bit in the driver's seat (or at least we can pretend we are) when looking for fellowships...Not that I think I can match anywhere I want (far from it - heck, I got my fair share of rejections), but of the interviews I went to, I did take the attitude - rightly or wrongly - that the program should show me something. The days of going to the best name irrespective of everything else going on in the program are over...of course, who knows what the heck is going to happen since it's a Match now...

BTW, have you all registered for the Match yet? I completely forgot you even had to do that...I think it's through a different website (? NRMP?), and to make matters worse, you have to pay again to do it. I haven't done it yet - hopefully there's no late fee at this point. Gotta love it.

Strangely enough, the places I didn't like very much all made a big show of saying that they wanted to impress me and prove that they were the right program for me but then spent the rest of the day preaching that they were the "one true Onc training program" and that if I went anywhere else to train I might as well go into PM&R for all the good my training would do me as an oncologist. Most of them also spent a ton of time impugning other programs I'd applied to.

The places I liked on the other hand said, in essence, "this is what we've got, this is where your interests/experience/background mesh with what we have and this is why you'd fit in well at this program...we hope you feel the same way."

And it's kind of funny to see that the randomness of the application/invite system doesn't change between residency and fellowship...I'm much more sanguine about it this year. I applied to the "Big 5" cancer centers (Hutch, MSK, MDA, Farber, Fox Chase) and a few other places, all w/ comprehensive cancer centers. I got interviews at all (including UCSF and Stanford) but 2, Farber and (of all places) Columbia. The Farber I can kind of understand, but Columbia? That rejection actually made me laugh.

And yes...don't forget to register w/ NRMP. It's $40 and there's no late fee...unless you consider not being able to submit a ROL until next year a late fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.