Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Invite from Roswell Park, rejection from Loyola today. Hoping for the best. Good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hai,
Can we email programs to find out status of our application or is it better to call them ?
vrgk

sanfilippo said:
invite from vermont, rejection from ucsf (both email).
7 responses, 17 left to go!
-S. ;)
Congrats for all the great interviews-just wanted to ask you if you are an IMG?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everybody who received interviews! I am an IMG, applied to about 40 places, got three rejections so far! Is it too late to apply to other programs? Or should I e-mail PD's?

img1 said:
Congrats for all the great interviews-just wanted to ask you if you are an IMG?

No, I'm not an IMG. I just heard from my program here in Wisconsin the other day...16 left to go.

-S.

Cornell by phone... they at this point have only one interview day set up..
7 interviews, 17 to go

I am sure we will hear from the bulk of programs in the next 2 weeks
Good luck to all of you

I would be nice, if others would share their interviews as well, so that we all can share..I am sure there are more people frequenting this thread than the 3-5 individuals who have posted their interviews so far

germanIMG said:
I am sure we will hear from the bulk of programs in the next 2 weeks
Good luck to all of you

Hope so.. I haven't heard anything in >2 wks.. I'm hoping most west coast programs, especially CA, aren't too active yet.

Hi, everyone. 1st post. I, like everyone else have been biting my nails waiting for interviews. I've mainly applied in california and the northeast, and I've heard from two so far, UC Davis and Tufts. still waiting for quite a few.

Rejections from Loyola, OHSU and Montefiore.

hi all. i'm a third-year at wright state who is interested in heme/onc. quick question... what is the best way to get a heme/onc fellowship? does where you do IM matter? is it board scores? research? any input would be very greatly appreciated. thanks all...

bcreekmd2b said:
hi all. i'm a third-year at wright state who is interested in heme/onc. quick question... what is the best way to get a heme/onc fellowship? does where you do IM matter? is it board scores? research? any input would be very greatly appreciated. thanks all...

i'm no expert and i really don't know what the fellowship selection committees are looking at in choosing candidates for interview. however, here is my take:

to do well during residency and get letters from folks, at least one or two from hem/onc attendings, who know you well and can comment on the areas in which you excel and the attributes you possess or skills you have demonstrated that would make you a good hem/onc doctor, let alone a good candidate.

i think where you do residency matters. the bigger the name, the more doors open. that's not to say going to not-so-top-tier schools is a liability. your application and letters should speak for itself (well, i'd like to think it goes that way). bigger programs have more leaders in the field and this may or may not translate into research opportunities.

i do think my rejections from places like dana-farber and ucsf stem from my lack of research at this point. i think it helps to have that background because some places (more than others) emphasize research to the point that they minimize your time in clinics to spend more time in the lab and writing proposals and grants for PI's. i want to get involved into translational or clinical research, so i tried to steer from the more pronounced "research" machines like JHU, MD Anderson, Stanford and U of Washington. to each his own.

finally, keep an open mind. i decided on hem/on several months into my 2nd year of residency after having done clinical work in another field i was considering. i thinking deciding on a subspecialty too early on blinds you to other opportunities and interests. all medicine should interest you as you're being trained as general internist during residency, not a pre-fellow (well, that's just my opinion).

-S.

sanfilippo said:
i'm no expert and i really don't know what the fellowship selection committees are looking at in choosing candidates for interview. however, here is my take:

to do well during residency and get letters from folks, at least one or two from hem/onc attendings, who know you well and can comment on the areas in which you excel and the attributes you possess or skills you have demonstrated that would make you a good hem/onc doctor, let alone a good candidate.

i think where you do residency matters. the bigger the name, the more doors open. that's not to say going to not-so-top-tier schools is a liability. your application and letters should speak for itself (well, i'd like to think it goes that way). bigger programs have more leaders in the field and this may or may not translate into research opportunities.

i do think my rejections from places like dana-farber and ucsf stem from my lack of research at this point. i think it helps to have that background because some places (more than others) emphasize research to the point that they minimize your time in clinics to spend more time in the lab and writing proposals and grants for PI's. i want to get involved into translational or clinical research, so i tried to steer from the more pronounced "research" machines like JHU, MD Anderson, Stanford and U of Washington. to each his own.

finally, keep an open mind. i decided on hem/on several months into my 2nd year of residency after having done clinical work in another field i was considering. i thinking deciding on a subspecialty too early on blinds you to other opportunities and interests. all medicine should interest you as you're being trained as general internist during residency, not a pre-fellow (well, that's just my opinion).

-S.

S,

That was really well put! I would just re-stress the importance of being a solid internist before thinking too much about fellowship. Also, be very selective of where you would want to live for the next 6 plus years - the chances are you may end up staying at the hospital where you do your residence for your fellowship, and beyond. I love my current residency but the weather is getting to me somewhat. I know that I definitely have a spot available to me at this h/o program but... I'm keeping other options open....

Penn, Stanford, MSKCC..all per email

Members don't see this ad :)
So far...
Invites from Fox Chase Cancer Center-Philli, University of Connecticut
Rejection from Roswell Park

Hopefully more action will happen in the next few weeks

germanIMG said:
Penn, Stanford, MSKCC..all per email

germanIMG - congratulations! I'm slack-jawed at your stunning list of interview successes...as an up-and-coming heme-onc applicant, mind sharing some of your secrets with us? Thanks! :thumbup:

yes by phone from ecu and musc. email yes from u of tn- memphis. anyone heard from duke, u of maryland, gwu, u of ky, mayo- jacksonville, sfu, or gainesville yet?

Waitlisted for interview MDACC.

Expected rejection form MDACC

rejection from univ of maryland

HDMTX said:
Waitlisted for interview MDACC.

did they send you an email saying you are waitlisted? haven't heard from them ever since they asked me to send in a research summary some time in december

germanIMG said:
did they send you an email saying you are waitlisted? haven't heard from them ever since they asked me to send in a research summary some time in december

Yep, email.

rejection from beth-isreael, rejection/hold at fox chase - both by regular mail

Did anyone heard from univ of arkansas, alabama, utah, cleveland clinic, ohio, colorodo, indiana
Thanks
vrgk

vrgk said:
Did anyone heard from univ of arkansas, alabama, utah, cleveland clinic, ohio, colorodo, indiana
Thanks
vrgk

Nothing from Utah.

HDMTX said:
Nothing from Utah.
Thank you.
Did anyone hear from arkansas?
vrgk

Utah just started reviewing applications. Nothing from Arkansas. Alabama sent first set of invites and put me on waiting list. CC will respond in February (at least as they told me).

invite from columbia today by email....trickle, trickle...

-s.

congrazt sanfillipo...excellent program..NCI comprehensive cancer center
good luck

Hey guys Im new to this forum. Seems that you all are right on track.... I have been shaking these past few days not becoz of the cold, but by the 4 rejects that I have got... Seems that every day I get another.....
dana farber, UCSF, Fox chase, UNC chapel hill have all rejected me. Hoping for some positive replies for a change. Any news about other programs is welcome..... Adios, BMT :oops:

Rejection from Indiana Program today.
vrgk

Rejection from Indiana :thumbdown:

invite for interview by mail from univ of fl today
anyone heard from kentucky, mayo in jacksonville, u of maryland or george washington yet?

Hey Guys, Great news. Got a call from UCLA. They are calling 40+ applicants. Thats gives a lot of scope for guys around like me......
Did anyone else receive an Email from FHCRC-Seattle that they are yet to shortlist and call for interviews? cheers BMT ;)

BMT said:
Hey Guys, Great news. Got a call from UCLA. They are calling 40+ applicants. Thats gives a lot of scope for guys around like me......
Did anyone else receive an Email from FHCRC-Seattle that they are yet to shortlist and call for interviews? cheers BMT ;)

Congratz BMT.. good for you! Was this UCLA-Westwood or SFV or Harbor? Yep, got the same email from FHCRC.

HD

interview from u minn via email

anyone heard from nj/ny programs ?
thanks
vrgk

BMT, Did they actually call you or emailed you???

Invite from Baylor today.

rejection from ucsf via email

UCLA and MAyo by email yesterday...but won't be able to interview there for tight schedule and tight pocket
anyone heard from Hopkins, NIH or MD Anderson?

Hi German, Have you let them know that you won't appear for the interview? may be they extend more interviews. :scared:

of course...cancelled already a couple of interviews

Thanks German. I think we should all do that..

Yup, It was the Hematology-Oncology Program at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, LA. They sent the usual mail by distribution via ERAS. No news so far from any others like NIH..... Adios amigos, BMT

Got a call from Univ Of Oklahoma-OKC via email.... Seems there will be 18 candidates for 3 positions. :) ciao BMT

Kind of quiet here! Did anybody schedule the interview with Stanford yet? I emailed them with my dates but haven't heard back! GermanIMG, are you going to your Stanford one?

haven't completly decided to cancel Stanford yet...just feels so wrong to cancel an interview at a strong place that early in the game...but most probably that's what i end up doing. Just out of curiousity: where would you place stanford in the grand scheme of things and what other invites did you get?

colorado a few days ago by email. still waiting to hear from MANY places. anyone heard anything from chicago programs?
-s.

Call Stanford up if you have applied. I called them last evening and they informed me that I was NOT short listed!!!! Another one bites the dust!!!
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.