Hi, I need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Solaire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

So for some quick stats, I have a 31 MCAT (11 PS, 10 V, 10 BS) ~ 3.8 cGPA ~ 3.9 sGPA

I've sent secondaries to:
- UCD
- UCI
- UCSD
- UCLA/Geffen
- USC/Keck
- Boston (Rejected)
- Einstein
- Albany
- University of Michigan

EDIT: Added SLU, Medical College of Wisconsin, and Rosalind Franklin

I didn't really apply to many schools since I don't have a LoR from a non-science professor.

In terms of EC's, I have a decent amount of research, work, and teaching experience, but my volunteering (clinical, community) are on the lower end. That being said, during this year I'm working in a hospital as a lab tech (clinical research) and pursuing some of the volunteer opportunities here, but this is all in progress.

What are my chances with the current schools I've applied to? And should I send secondaries to the mentioned schools?

Also would it be worth it to apply to other schools (though I'm not sure which).

Thanks a bunch

edit: Recieved a II from Einstein and SLU, rejected and alternate list respectively.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
jeez.. i dont really know how you picked your schools, but you sure did aim high. yea your GPA is great, but your MCAT leaves much to be desired, especially at the schools you picked

Median MCAT
UCD - 33
UCI - 33
UCSD - 35
UCLA - 34
USC - 34 (31 is 10th %)
Einstein - 33 (31 is 10th %)
Michigan - 36 (31 is 10th %)

albany is the only school that makes more sense

now lets talk about your proposed schools

dartmouth - 34 median mcat (30 is 10th %) - so.... a reach

VCU and Rosalind franklin are much more realistic.

now with that list you have 3 "okay" schools and 8 reach schools. that is very unbalanced. you need to look into more middle tier/low tier schools.

get the msar and find more schools in your range

Haha... I suppose I really want to stay in California. Sadly the schools here are quite difficult to get into.

Assuming I find some other schools to look into, would you consider it a bit late to try an apply to them (I mean it'll be mid-September before I do)?

Part of me doesn't mind waiting another year, retaking the MCAT, and going another round.

Thanks for the advice regardless :)

Members don't see this ad :)
it would be a little late, definitely not early.

lets look at it this way, youre already invested this cycle. now, if you have the finances to apply to more, then id say go for it try your best to get in this cycle, cause med school is med school (just be sure to apply to places youd actually go to) and once youre in youll be on your way to being a doctor.

see the problem with your list isnt that youre a bad fit for the schools you pick, you just dont have a good enough range to maximize your chances of getting in. youre betting on lots of riskier options without any kind of backup plans. you may get in, theres always a chance (but that can be said about a lot of things)

if you do take a year, try to improve that MCAT if you can, you can see by the medians for the UC schools that if you hit 33+ your chances will go up. Thats of course only viable if you can do better on the MCAT. last thing you want is a retake with a lower score. also apply literally on the first day AMCAS opens. again you want to maximize your chances, so dont wait.

it would be a little late, definitely not early.

lets look at it this way, youre already invested this cycle. now, if you have the finances to apply to more, then id say go for it try your best to get in this cycle, cause med school is med school (just be sure to apply to places youd actually go to) and once youre in youll be on your way to being a doctor.

see the problem with your list isnt that youre a bad fit for the schools you pick, you just dont have a good enough range to maximize your chances of getting in. youre betting on lots of riskier options without any kind of backup plans. you may get in, theres always a chance (but that can be said about a lot of things)

if you do take a year, try to improve that MCAT if you can, you can see by the medians for the UC schools that if you hit 33+ your chances will go up. Thats of course only viable if you can do better on the MCAT. last thing you want is a retake with a lower score. also apply literally on the first day AMCAS opens. again you want to maximize your chances, so dont wait.

Retaking a 31 is incredibly risky and not at all a good idea unless the OP was scoring 35+ on practice tests and feels the 31 is not indicative of their normal performance.

OP, you should add more schools with median MCATs close to yours. Places like Vermont, NYMC. If you go another cycle apply much more broadly.

Financially, I can add VCU and Franklin, but anything after that is a bit trickier. Considering how late it is.

In terms of my mcat, I scored on my lower range (practice tests were from 29-35). I'd consider taking a class for the second time around.

Hopefully one of the 10 schools (assuming I put in VCU and Franklin) gets back to me.

For the next cycle, I definitely need to try and get a non-science faculty letter...

I guess at this point, I have to get a bit lucky!

Last edited:
drexel, gwu, medical college of wisconsin, penn state, rush, temple all have median mcats of 31, except for gwu which has a median mcat of 30

Strongly concur. If you get shut out this cycle, apply more to the low tiers.

If you want to stay in CA, Westerm/COMP and TUCOM-CA will snap you up in a heartbeat

jeez.. i dont really know how you picked your schools, but you sure did aim high. yea your GPA is great, but your MCAT leaves much to be desired, especially at the schools you picked

Median MCAT
UCD - 33
UCI - 33
UCSD - 35
UCLA - 34
USC - 34 (31 is 10th %)

now with that list you have 3 "okay" schools and 8 reach schools. that is very unbalanced. you need to look into more middle tier/low tier schools.

:rolleyes: Yeah... definitely didn't cast a wide enough net this cycle... but you know in retrospect I don't think I wanted to; I was going for one of the UC's. I wouldn't mind reapplying. I'll have a lot more experiences to tack on and hopefully a stronger MCAT in that case.

:oops:

So in total... I'll be completing my secondaries for these schools (by the end of this month)
- Rosalind
- VCU
- Wisconsin
- Penn State (assuming I use research as a non-science)
- NYMC (assuming I use research as a non-science)
- Drexel (assuming I use research as a non-science)

~ Thanks for the feedback people

gotta tell you that wisconsin is pretty rough on OOS applicants.... you may want to save your money

You know, I did see that, which is why it wasn't on my initial list... I could use that money to buy a steak and lobster dinner for two... or maybe towards new guitar strings... this is tough :laugh:

Median MCAT
UCD - 33
UCI - 33
UCSD - 35
UCLA - 34
USC - 34 (31 is 10th %)

Can you post where you got those numbers (namely the UCI and UCD)? I've seen slightly different numbers for those schools and for the OP that seems relevant.

Current MSAR.

Someone recently posted these stats (3 months ago):

Average school stats:
UCSF 34.5 /3.77
Stanford 35.8 /3.79
UCLA 33.9 /3.73
UCSD 33 / 3.73
USC 34.2 /3.64
UCI 32 /3.67
Loma Linda 31 /3.78
UCD 31 / 3.6

Are they already outdated? Davis and UCSD just jumped 2 MCAT points?

Someone recently posted these stats (3 months ago):

Average school stats:
UCSF 34.5 /3.77
Stanford 35.8 /3.79
UCLA 33.9 /3.73
UCSD 33 / 3.73
USC 34.2 /3.64
UCI 32 /3.67
Loma Linda 31 /3.78
UCD 31 / 3.6

Are they already outdated? Davis and UCSD just jumped 2 MCAT points?
UCSD's median MCAT is 35 in the current MSAR. The other figures could be mean scores or from some other source. I rely on the MSAR.

"Don't get any big ideas
They're not gonna happen"
'Nude' In Rainbows, Radiohead

Soo basically up my MCAT if I want to be this ambitious for next cycle (assuming I get shut out aww yeahhhh) :thumbdown:cool::thumbup:

"Don't get any big ideas
They're not gonna happen"
'Nude' In Rainbows, Radiohead

Soo basically up my MCAT if I want to be this ambitious for next cycle (assuming I get shut out aww yeahhhh) :thumbdown:cool::thumbup:
31 is a fine MCAT for many excellent schools (just not in CA). Retaking a good score comes with significant risk. A better option is applying to schools that might want you.

Yes, but what fun is it not to take a risk every now and then :horns:

I'll let you all know of my fate probably by 2014.