high mcat low gpa med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samwinsalot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a low overall GPA and a high mcat. I did show a very strong upward trend in my GPA though. I earned an A in all prerequisite science courses. I would like to be accepted into some type of US MD school.

Overal GPA(186 credits): 2.6
Science GPA: 3.6

Post-bac (60 credits): 4.0

MCAT: 516 (95th percentile; equivalent to 35)

Clinical Experience: Little to none

Helpful Work Experience: organic chemistry tutor hired by college, calculus TA, Kaplan MCAT Instructor and work for a non-for-profit progressive action organization.

Members don't see this ad.

The combination of "little to no" clinical experience and the 2.6 gap may hurt pretty badly. I would beef up the clinical exposure by shadowing, scribing, or something. You have already done all that can be done to repair your GPA at this point, but you could always write about why your GPA was low, how you corrected it, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
The combination of "little to no" clinical experience and the 2.6 gap may hurt pretty badly. I would beef up the clinical exposure by shadowing, scribing, or something. You have already done all that can be done to repair your GPA at this point, but you could always write about why your GPA was low, how you corrected it, etc.
Thanks for the advice.
My GPA is mostly bad from about 9-10 years ago when I first started school. I had a GPA of 0.93 at my first school. Those were dark days and I had no direction and didn't care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice.
My GPA is mostly bad from about 9-10 years ago when I first started school. I had a GPA of 0.93 at my first school. Those were dark days and I had no direction and didn't care.

Exactly, which means you have overcome adversity. You should have no problem answering the most difficult essay for most when it comes time to apply.

And there are schools that reward reinvention and some that count only the last 30 or 60 hours . But you have to do clinical stuff and shadowing. So start working on that now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

@candbgirl do you have any examples of schools that count only the last 30 or 60 hours? That would be super helpful for me

Schools like Dartmouth and BU are places I've heard that do that but I'm not 100%

There are places that will give you a chance, but not without clinical experience. You need at least 40 hours of shadowing if nothing else.

Thanks guys good to keep all this in mind. I'm applying today to medical school. I'm just starting shadowing now.

I recommend that you delete your PS. You will be immediately identifiable by any admissions officer who reads these fora.
Does it look bad to post your personal statement publicly?

I would consider skipping this cycle... Little to no clinical experience is generally considered to be an app killer. I also think your PS could be better.