His Dark Materials WW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would smaller roles be more likely to have been given as cover roles rather than larger, more important characters? I would think so, but I don't want to assume since it is WW after all...

Members don't see this ad.

I have some doubts. In coming up with my own list of 30, I can think of plenty of others that I would rather put in, including not having daemons be separate, but you never know who are mod favorites, even if minor. Epi's play is certainly suspect, but noobiness always interferes with wolf detection in a mixed game.

Okay in the only other WW game I played, there was a wolf with a role restriction that made her seem like a non-wolf (Goldilocks anyone?). She had to post as though she was a legit villager character and everyone believed it for a long time. So I'm not saying this is what is happening with DVMD, but I'm not ruling it out either.

I was thinking of that too. I know every WW game is different, but there's been a few things that I feel hint at this.

Also going to unlynch Epi for now because I don't think that TP's role reveal necessarily exonerates him, so the fact that she kept her vote on him isn't that suspicious to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also think I will

lynch epi

simply because that character didn't make my list. Will be around later if anything comes to light. Also, no one has spoken up about being injured....

See I believe her because on the wikipedia page. She'd be taking a pretty big risk to claim a character that's on wikipedia since IMO that makes it more likely that someone else would be that role. Unless anyone else wants to say that they are Bernie, I'm inclined to trust her. Unless the theory about wolves having fake roles is true of course.

Okay in the only other WW game I played, there was a wolf with a role restriction that made her seem like a non-wolf (Goldilocks anyone?). She had to post as though she was a legit villager character and everyone believed it for a long time. So I'm not saying this is what is happening with DVMD, but I'm not ruling it out either.
This idea has worried be as well, but I'm not sure how often this mechanic is used vs it being hints to their actual role. We have been warned that things may not be as they seem though...

See I believe her because on the wikipedia page. She'd be taking a pretty big risk to claim a character that's on wikipedia since IMO that makes it more likely that someone else would be that role. Unless anyone else wants to say that they are Bernie, I'm inclined to trust her. Unless the theory about wolves having fake roles is true of course.
Yes and no. He's a big enough character to make the Wiki page okay, but not big enough to be super important or even super memorable. If you're a wolf, trying to come up with a safe villager character when being called out, it'd be a good role to claim. Perhaps it wasn't important enough to really even be assigned to anyone, yet people can look it up later and "confirm" that its a safe role. Idk... I am not super convinced but I haven't actually thrown a lynch vote out yet either

I was thinking of that too. I know every WW game is different, but there's been a few things that I feel hint at this.

Also going to unlynch Epi for now because I don't think that TP's role reveal necessarily exonerates him, so the fact that she kept her vote on him isn't that suspicious to me.
I'm a girl fyi

Reactions: 2 users
I quoted this to sort of emphasizing what I was saying earlier. I also agree with whoever said its hard to trust role claims in mini groups or PM, because the actual role may be someone in another group.

He has info on me. Just not my role claim. Couldn't really go into it further since it's not night anymore (and I went to bed at a pseudo-reasonable hour last night :p)

This is a big reason why I am not a fan of noob games, especially new mechanisms in noob games....

You are referring to pink puppy being a wolf and given the cover of Goldilocks as well as being told to post in reference to Goldilocks... you know how many times that exact scenario has occurred before? A wolf being given a villager cover and told to post in reference to the villager?? Zero.

Seriously. I have to post the way I am posting because it relates to my actual character. Don't latch onto random new mechanics thrown into a noob game.

Stories.

Yes and no. He's a big enough character to make the Wiki page okay, but not big enough to be super important or even super memorable. If you're a wolf, trying to come up with a safe villager character when being called out, it'd be a good role to claim. Perhaps it wasn't important enough to really even be assigned to anyone, yet people can look it up later and "confirm" that its a safe role. Idk... I am not super convinced but I haven't actually thrown a lynch vote out yet either

I still feel like picking a character on wikipedia is a pretty big risk. Although I also understand your logic because based on skimming that page, he seems to be the safest cover from that list. But I also still think there's a good chance the wolves were given their covers. Not because of the goldilocks mechanic as DVMD is suggesting, but because of the hints in this game.

I'm a girl fyi

Sorry! I would edit if I could.

As far as Epi's role claim, I don't know.

I think we are going to end up with quite a few minor characters actually present in the game. Heck, I do think that her character name even got mentioned in the movie at one point.... If I remember correctly. He wasn't present in the movie, but I believe his name was mentioned....

I think it is going to be difficult to determine if people actually have a minor character or are trying to use as a cover. I am still thinking on Epi's role claim currently.

We also have to keep in mind that the mods went back through and tossed in 5 extra roles that they had not originally created, so there are going to be some really minor, random things tossed in because of that.

Stories, tell them to me.

This is a big reason why I am not a fan of noob games, especially new mechanisms in noob games....

You are referring to pink puppy being a wolf and given the cover of Goldilocks as well as being told to post in reference to Goldilocks... you know how many times that exact scenario has occurred before? A wolf being given a villager cover and told to post in reference to the villager?? Zero.

Seriously. I have to post the way I am posting because it relates to my actual character. Don't latch onto random new mechanics thrown into a noob game.

Stories.
Not exactly the same, but I believe the SDN Farm game had a wolf who assumed the guise of a villager with a post restriction. Posted in all caps the entire game, I think. So I don't think that's a completely novel concept. And there certainly have been plenty of games where wolves were assigned cover roles, complete with cover role descriptions.

Also, not every WW game has wolves with cover identities.... just because a game or a few games you played in had them, doesn't meant this one will...

It is something to always consider, but I think people get too bogged up in "well, that other game". We are playing THIS game not "that other game"... so try to keep focused on this one.

I'm trying my best to play based upon what people are posting and commenting on in thread since it is all I have to play with and figure out who is villager or wolf.

Stories, Tales, something, something.

Members don't see this ad :)

Stories.

I was a wolf once and created my own post restriction. Used it all game. Created a BS reason to explain the need to talk in religious sentences and then the need to write in reverse when I added another layer (for fun) to my post restriction. No one questioned it. I won that game.

Reactions: 1 users
I was a wolf once and created my own post restriction. Used it all game. Created a BS reason to explain the need to talk in religious sentences and then the need to write in reverse when I added another layer (for fun) to my post restriction. No one questioned it. I won that game.

This is only relevant to me braggingabout pulling that off. Not to this game.

Reactions: 4 users

Yes, that was your own doing.

We are talking about mod-imposed rules as part of the role.

Stories.

Not exactly the same, but I believe the SDN Farm game had a wolf who assumed the guise of a villager with a post restriction. Posted in all caps the entire game, I think. So I don't think that's a completely novel concept. And there certainly have been plenty of games where wolves were assigned cover roles, complete with cover role descriptions.

Yes cover roles happen. But a cover role + post restriction is very, very rare and has only happened that one time.

Stories.

Stories.
And our mods were mentors (I believe) in that game and know it was a mechanic used and could have enjoyed it so much they decided to repeat it.

Or it could be totally bunk and your posting restrictions are just based on your completely villager role.

All I said was to consider the possibility, because it is a possibility.

Pit stop.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Hayley! Though I think I'm a dead (wo)man walking and I don't know what else to say to change people's minds. The only thing I was given in my role description is that I have the rare trait of having a same sex daemon. I'll admit that I too had to look up the character because I didn't remember who he was...but it's all I got, so I'm putting it out there.

I'm inclined to think that the wolves were told what their covers were based on the write-ups & alethiometer results. That would mean the mods would have had 35 roles to come up with (assuming the covers weren't the same as another person's role). I'm not sure what the means in terms of Epi or Bernie Johansen though but it would mean minor roles would probably come into play.

Uh oh. Sorry to pull my confidence back, Epi, but that's also all the wikipedia article says about the guy. Would the mods really write a role description that's the same as the wiki page?

And our mods were mentors (I believe) in that game and know it was a mechanic used and could have enjoyed it so much they decided to repeat it.

Or it could be totally bunk and your posting restrictions are just based on your completely villager role.

All I said was to consider the possibility, because it is a possibility.

And LIS has no actual "info" on you.... that is what is making me even more pissed. Is that keeps getting stated when it isn't true....

Stories.

Also, not every WW game has wolves with cover identities.... just because a game or a few games you played in had them, doesn't meant this one will...

It is something to always consider, but I think people get too bogged up in "well, that other game". We are playing THIS game not "that other game"... so try to keep focused on this one.

I'm trying my best to play based upon what people are posting and commenting on in thread since it is all I have to play with and figure out who is villager or wolf.

Stories, Tales, something, something.

I don't think anyone is basing their suspicion that wolves might have cover roles on that happening in some previous game. We allow that it's a possibility because it's happened before, but we think it might apply to this game because of all the hints from the mods that suggests the wolves can blend in/have enough info to fool us/etc.

I'm inclined to think that the wolves were told what their covers were based on the write-ups & alethiometer results. That would mean the mods would have had 35 roles to come up with (assuming the covers weren't the same as another person's role). I'm not sure what the means in terms of Epi or Bernie Johansen though but it would mean minor roles would probably come into play.

Ok....

1. Wolves may or may not have covers... if they do, typically it is ONE wolf, not all of them
2. 35 roles??? Do you know there are 5 wolves? I don't....
3. All 5 of the wolves have covers?

Would we stop it with the wolf covers thing? Seriously.

Wolves may or may not have covers. If they do, it isn't typically all of them.

Discuss the information we do know and try to find wolves from that. Let's not start adding in more random crap that we don't know.

Stories.

Word for word what I got from Gwen, take it or leave it: "A gyptian man who’s daemon has the rare quality of being the same sex as him. Vanilla Villager." :shrug:

I don't think anyone is basing their suspicion that wolves might have cover roles on that happening in some previous game. We allow that it's a possibility because it's happened before, but we think it might apply to this game because of all the hints from the mods that suggests the wolves can blend in/have enough info to fool us/etc.

The info from mods is stating that we might know just enough to be fooled.....

You guys have yet to experience it but there have been a few ww games were faulty information was given out by the mods on purpose to specific roles. Simply because those roles weren't meant to get accurate, truthful information.

Now think about the theme of this game... a theme in which there is ONE person (at least in the movie) who can read a "truth teller" (the alethiometer) and no one else can use it properly. What do you think is going to happen when others who aren't this person use it? Can you now tie that into the mod info of "we have just enough information to fool us? Because I sure can. Which is the exact point I brought up earlier today, that no one listened to.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok....

1. Wolves may or may not have covers... if they do, typically it is ONE wolf, not all of them
2. 35 roles??? Do you know there are 5 wolves? I don't....
3. All 5 of the wolves have covers?

Would we stop it with the wolf covers thing? Seriously.

Wolves may or may not have covers. If they do, it isn't typically all of them.

Discuss the information we do know and try to find wolves from that. Let's not start adding in more random crap that we don't know.

Stories.
I explained the 35 above assuming LIS's theory was true but that could very well not be true. All wolves having covers is more of "worst case senario" type ordeal but I can definitely see how that is unlikely. Sorry.

You guys have yet to experience it but there have been a few ww games were faulty information was given out by the mods on purpose to specific roles. Simply because those roles weren't meant to get accurate, truthful information.

Now think about the theme of this game... a theme in which there is ONE person (at least in the movie) who can read a "truth teller" (the alethiometer) and no one else can use it properly. What do you think is going to happen when others who aren't this person use it? Can you now tie that into the mod info of "we have just enough information to fool us? Because I sure can. Which is the exact point I brought up earlier today, that no one listened to.

Stories. I forgot about wanting stories.

Let me clarify the alethiometer a little bit - Lyra is able to read it quickly and accurately due to, functionally, "divine" intervention. At the end of the series she actually loses this ability and is going to pursue learning to use it the traditional way - using reference books, slowly, through extensive effort. There are other scholars who use the alethiometers successfully in the series, it's just slow going and those people have spent decades becoming adept with them.

This doesn't really disagree with anything you've said, just fleshing it out a bit more for you.

From what I can remember some "Alethiometrists" in the books include Lyra of course, the master, Fra Pavel..Farder Coram knew a thing or two as well. He initially showed Lyra how it works but didn't have all the details. The master said there were 6 total in existence (including the "golden compass" that lyra has). I'm not one of the "alethiometrists" so it's possibly the results I got from the item were to lead to astray but they didn't seem to lead me much of anywhere...

And LIS has no actual "info" on you.... that is what is making me even more pissed. Is that keeps getting stated when it isn't true....
Stories.
Sigh. I don't know why you're getting pissed. I was just trying to voice my concerns, I'm not trying to throw you under the bus or anything. I'm sorry if it seems like I am.

I don't know why LIS trusted you initially or why he thinks your role reveal was less solid than the other two, I don't know why he trusts dy or why he thought MJ's role reveal was believable. I'm playing based on the information I have, the information I've gotten from PM's and the thread, and my very limited experience. And trying to relay my thoughts and concerns with the rest of the "village" so more experienced players or people who might actually have more information on something that I said can chime in and flesh things out.

The other thing that needs to be considered that nobody has brought up... "knowing enough to fool you" can easily indicate any information we have received and stated.

This doesn't mean it is in relation to wolves, villagers, or anything else. It is just a general statement encompassing all of the game. So I wouldn't grab that bit from the mods and instantly apply it to "wolves". I would apply it to just about anything and everything.

Thought I'd tally cause it's been awhile.

Unofficial Day 3 Lynch Tally

Dyachei (1) - SOV
Epi (7) - DVMD, alli, kam, dojo, MJ, TP, Lupin
MJ (2) - dyachei, Epi
STL (1) - DocE
Jilary (1) - STL
Kcoughli (1) - Aloha

13/27 votes

Sigh. I don't know why you're getting pissed. I was just trying to voice my concerns, I'm not trying to throw you under the bus or anything. I'm sorry if it seems like I am.

I don't know why LIS trusted you initially or why he thinks your role reveal was less solid than the other two, I don't know why he trusts dy or why he thought MJ's role reveal was believable. I'm playing based on the information I have, the information I've gotten from PM's and the thread, and my very limited experience. And trying to relay my thoughts and concerns with the rest of the "village" so more experienced players or people who might actually have more information on something that I said can chime in and flesh things out.

It is just the misrepresentation of what is actually out there. Saying he has "info" on you is not exactly true, based on what I know and have been told. So I am just trying to clarify that point.

LIS initially told me he is unsure of dyachei from the start, but now has changed his mind on that too. I don't know anything of dyachei.
Then it was MJ, but now that has changed. I would like to actually discuss this more in private during the night cycle with him, to be honest.
Now it is me.... :shrug:

I don't think he can make up his mind.

I am still not sure how he got my role being more suspicious than not knowing your role at all, but whatever. It is LIS, doesn't always make sense.

i think the best part of this conversation is the part where nobody has voted for dvmd....

And for dvmd:
once upon there was a DVM who saw animals in a busy part of FL. It was 2 days from Thanksgiving and all of the crazy people and their clients decided to come to her clinic. There was the lady who was convinced her cat was dying because it was throwing up. There was the rat whose owners KNEW their pet was sick and handled baby rats anyway. Then there was the lady with her 3 dogs who decided that they had a reaction to the heartworm medication, and instead of discussing it with the DVM, decided to split the pill into 3rds and give each dog one since they were all well under 25 lbs and the label said 0-25 lbs. But still, she knew she had to keep going, because she only had 1 tech and it was the weakest of them. TO be continued...

Thought I'd tally cause it's been awhile.

Unofficial Day 3 Lynch Tally

Dyachei (1) - SOV
Epi (7) - DVMD, alli, kam, dojo, MJ, TP, Lupin
MJ (2) - dyachei, Epi
STL (1) - DocE
Jilary (1) - STL
Kcoughli (1) - Aloha

13/27 votes
The mods thank you for your service

Ugh, I miss so much when I'm working. How do you busy people do it?

I have some catching up to do.
Speed read, remember things incorrectly, forget things you should have remembered, come up with crazy theories that have no basis in reality, cause much giggling and eye rolling from the mods. Rinse and repeat.

Gorram it, stories! Please to tell me your stories, anecdotes, etc...

Or maybe I should tell a story....

Ok, so I had a dream last night. Similar to Jumanji. And in this Jumanji-like dream... a tree started growing rapidly out of control. And the tree grew cheese.... but it was knocking people around and causing damage. So, of course, someone went to cut down the tree... and when they cut into the trunk.. nacho cheese started to pour out and into the streets.... So then there was a nacho cheese river. Somehow, someone killed the cheese tree and then everyone sat around eating nachos...

Yes, my dreams are odd.

Ugh, I miss so much when I'm working. How do you busy people do it?

I have some catching up to do.
Step 1: Get sick or eat something questionable (my source is currently unknown)
Step 2: :barf:
Step 3: Stay home from school so that you don't infect your classmates or throw up on them.
Step 4: Sleep in and play WW all day.
Step 5: Come up with crazy theories that make no sense except to your tired/sick brain and only manage to frustrate DVMD who appears to already have some NAVLE-induced stress.
Step 6: Decide to shower and take another nap instead. :p