Hmm... should I join a cult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charcoales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kinda off-topic, but been feeling really crappy. The lonely/single/depressed kind of feeling. Been trying to meet people in the area but everything seems very superficial and despondent. Anyway my neighbors are in a cult and I went to one of their meetings for curiosity (I'm a hardcore rationalist). Everyone there seemed like nice people, they were surprisingly funny too. Also many of the girls (even the dudes lol) there were absolutely stunning (and dressed very well imho). Extremely diverse group too (white, black, indian, hispanic, in a pretty even distribution). There's a chance they were faking it, but I felt very comfortable there (besides the crazy beliefs of course). Anyway, I basically feel I have no community or any strong bonds with anyone but my mother and grandmother (both are getting older every day) and it's not for lack of trying... I'm a hardcore atheist but am starting to feel I should just drink this cult's koolaid... sigh. It's getting pretty tiring feeling lonely and disconnected with everyone. Working retail doesn't make it any better to say the least... Anyway good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
No.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Reactions: 1 user
American horror story cult?

Definitely join.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's not quite a cult, but why not find your way to an LDS church (I am not a member and find their theology problematic)? Their members seem to be happy and well-adjusted, once you get used to their direction in life. The only thing is that once you're a part of that family, it tends to consume most of your social time.

(Or is that group that you are describing either LDS or that group that must not be spoken about on StudentDoctor?) The LDS are sincere in their beliefs and won't empty your wallet (that's because you will after you marry and are fruitful, that other group, you'll be happy but under very severe control at the end. But to be happy or to be free...

It's not quite a cult, but why not find your way to an LDS church (I am not a member and find their theology problematic)? Their members seem to be happy and well-adjusted, once you get used to their direction in life. The only thing is that once you're a part of that family, it tends to consume most of your social time.

(Or is that group that you are describing either LDS or that group that must not be spoken about on StudentDoctor?) The LDS are sincere in their beliefs and won't empty your wallet (that's because you will after you marry and are fruitful, that other group, you'll be happy but under very severe control at the end. But to be happy or to be free...
What is the second group...?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's jw... Just gotta hope I never need surgery I guess... Wish they weren't all so good looking, nice, funny, and diverse it's very tempting :/

Scientology, huh, I thought was a banned word for all this time (it used to be). Some of my students work for the organization, they paid very well (as in triple the intern wages at the time).
Ooh, that's a pet project I like to study. The former second in command lived in a sleepy community by my hometown for a bit and brought... uh, trouble... to town.

Absolutely fascinating group to study from a distance.

Scientology, huh, I thought was a banned word for all this time (it used to be). Some of my students work for the organization, they paid very well (as in triple the intern wages at the time).
Hang on... Sea Org members are allowed to go to college? I don't remember reading about that.

It's jw... Just gotta hope I never need surgery I guess... Wish they weren't all so good looking, nice, funny, and diverse it's very tempting :/
I knew some really nice people in that 'cult'! As far as cults go you could probably do a lot worse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
JW is considered a cult? They're fine. They have rather odd eschatology beliefs (the end has come more than once), but they are not a financially rapacious group. Emotionally, they have their social circle and everyone else. The matter which is true of most Christian religions is that they hold certain beliefs as dogma and immutable. You can doubt, but you must believe at some level with those areas. They're just a bit more strict about enforcing their dogma than others. The other matter that is unusual to them is the explicit time commitment required to participate in church activities; which they do take seriously as well. They don't care much for passive believers.

Reactions: 2 users
Hang on... Sea Org members are allowed to go to college? I don't remember reading about that.

And some of them work next to you, except for the Uniformed Services and Federal Government, of course. (I have had to give 12b notices outed Scientologists as they violate the organizations rule for Title 5).

Last edited:

It worked out pretty good for Prince, he even went around door to door to evangelize! I would agree that LDS is a better option for what you seem to be looking for. In some parts of the country they are pretty mainstream too, even a majority.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I share your observations on JW women.

I've literally never met a daughter from that church that wasn't smoking hot.

.... Many a high school day ruined for me but Joseph Smith and whoever started the other

If you aren't joining an Eyes Wide Shut style cult then what are you doing with your life?

I went to a meeting for the unitarians but they were away above my age group, not drop-dead hotties there

Pardon, but wouldn't Tinder or Findhrr/Scissr (no idea on your orientation or gender but you did say women) work out better for you if that's what you're interested in? Gym membership doesn't require much of a belief system. You might want to examine whether what you really want is social companionship or romantic companionship as adopting values just to find romantic companionship always ends up badly for everyone involved later if this isn't what you were there for anyway. If not, why not AFF?

Pardon, but wouldn't Tinder or Findhrr/Scissr (no idea on your orientation or gender but you did say women) work out better for you if that's what you're interested in? Gym membership doesn't require much of a belief system. You might want to examine whether what you really want is social companionship or romantic companionship as adopting values just to find romantic companionship always ends up badly for everyone involved later if this isn't what you were there for anyway. If not, why not AFF?
Nah I would like a conservative gal if possible, all other means have failed me so far (including online dating)

Kinda off-topic, but been feeling really crappy. The lonely/single/depressed kind of feeling. Been trying to meet people in the area but everything seems very superficial and despondent. Anyway my neighbors are in a cult and I went to one of their meetings for curiosity (I'm a hardcore rationalist). Everyone there seemed like nice people, they were surprisingly funny too. Also many of the girls (even the dudes lol) there were absolutely stunning (and dressed very well imho). Extremely diverse group too (white, black, indian, hispanic, in a pretty even distribution). There's a chance they were faking it, but I felt very comfortable there (besides the crazy beliefs of course). Anyway, I basically feel I have no community or any strong bonds with anyone but my mother and grandmother (both are getting older every day) and it's not for lack of trying... I'm a hardcore atheist but am starting to feel I should just drink this cult's koolaid... sigh. It's getting pretty tiring feeling lonely and disconnected with everyone. Working retail doesn't make it any better to say the least... Anyway good luck everyone.

Obviously being bored isn't a good reason to adopt beliefs but here's the thing: do you really have control over what you believe? (As a "hardcore rationalist" myself, I'm sure you've had this thought too?)

So in that aspect, I think being bored is a perfectly good reason to participate in something you obviously find to be somewhat interesting (whether you believe it or not.)

What's really the harm in it? 1.) Does it advocate for harming others or yourself? 2.) Are you able to keep it on the DL in circumstances where the stigma wouldn't be good (so all outside circumstances) 3.) Are you able to leave if you decide it's not for you?

Obviously being bored isn't a good reason to adopt beliefs but here's the thing: do you really have control over what you believe? (As a "hardcore rationalist" myself, I'm sure you've had this thought too?)

So in that aspect, I think being bored is a perfectly good reason to participate in something you obviously find to be somewhat interesting (whether you believe it or not.)

What's really the harm in it? 1.) Does it advocate for harming others or yourself? 2.) Are you able to keep it on the DL in circumstances where the stigma wouldn't be good (so all outside circumstances) 3.) Are you able to leave if you decide it's not for you?

You don't find any of that out until you've sold off all your possessions and branded yourself.

Also many of the girls (even the dudes lol) there were absolutely stunning (and dressed very well imho).
I share your observations on JW women.

I've literally never met a daughter from that church that wasn't smoking hot.

.... Many a high school day ruined for me but Joseph Smith and whoever started the other

I've met plenty of JW (& LDS) women who were below average. There are plenty of non-JW/non-LDS women who are hot as hell. You guys need to get out more often.

Just for fun, I googled "Jehovah's Witness Women" and I ended up coming across a bunch of articles about the JW's molesting little girls.

You really want to join this cult??? I've had friends leave the LDS because of the church's sexist policies against women. Even if you scored a girl out of this shenanigan, do you want her or your daughter to be in a cult that treats them as second-class citizens who can be mistreated by other men?

Reactions: 1 users
I've met plenty of JW (& LDS) women who were below average. There are plenty of non-JW/non-LDS women who are hot as hell. You guys need to get out more often.

Just for fun, I googled "Jehovah's Witness Women" and I ended up coming across a bunch of articles about the JW's molesting little girls.

You really want to join this cult??? I've had friends leave the LDS because of the church's sexist policies against women. Even if you scored a girl out of this shenanigan, do you want her or your daughter to be in a cult that treats them as second-class citizens who can be mistreated by other men?
yeah it's sad, yet I want to start a family yet havent found anything using other resources available such as online dating, volunteering, meetups, asking friends of friends, "secular" groups like athiest or universalist groups, so... Not many options left I'm running out of time I feel

yeah it's sad, yet I want to start a family yet havent found anything using other resources available such as online dating, volunteering, meetups, asking friends of friends, "secular" groups like athiest or universalist groups, so... Not many options left I'm running out of time I feel

How old are you?

I just want to say there's a 90% I initially find who I marry on an app.

26, young I know but I'm sick of being alone for past 10 years and dating online is soul crushing

Ok, dating online means "dating" people from anywhere. And yeah that's lame/an inferior experience that will lead to nothing of any substance. I'm talking about LOCAL apps (tindr.) It's not online dating, it's online-meeting, and regular dating.

Ok, dating online means "dating" people from anywhere. And yeah that's lame/an inferior experience that will lead to nothing of any substance. I'm talking about LOCAL apps (tindr.) It's not online dating, it's online-meeting, and regular dating.
I did try tinder just felt useless never got a msg back from anyone, others like okc seems no one wants to meet irl so many just ignore me after I asked them to coffee :/

I did try tinder just felt useless never got a msg back from anyone, others like okc seems no one wants to meet irl so many just ignore me after I asked them to coffee :/

Um...You make 6 figures.....hit the gym, eat right, and get out more.... EZ.

Are you out of your mind. You’re 26 and you’re typing like you’re 45 and never been kissed before.

If this were the year 2097, I would literally send a Michael Jordan cyber clone to dunk on you through the internet.

Hell, you don't even have to do that. I know plenty of chubby pharmacists with cute girlfriends. Dude just needs to get out more and socialize.
Try this first. If it doesn't work, then...

Um...You make 6 figures.....hit the gym, eat right, and get out more.... EZ.

Charcoales, I suspect that women can smell your desperation a mile away.

Reactions: 6 users
To me, one of the primary determinants of a cult, is if they require or extremely encourage the completely shunning of "apostates", even by their own family members. Both JW and Scientology do this (I don't think LDS do this, but I could be wrong.)

So yeah, I think it's definitely playing with fire when you are a committed non-believer, to want to fake it. Let's say you do get married and have children, but eventually you get sick of the headgames, maybe you wake up when you see you can't tell your children how you really feel....and if you do, you risk having your spouse and children shun and hate you as an "apostate."

Be honest, you will never be happy in a relationship where you have to always hide your true self. I'm all for religious freedom, but you need to be true to your own beliefs for true happiness.

Be honest, you will never be happy in a relationship where you have to always hide your true self. I'm all for religious freedom, but you need to be true to your own beliefs for true happiness.
Such a profound response in a thread that basically started with "lol I might join a cult to get a girlfriend."