hofstra medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MalibuPreMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the new Hofstra medical school? Are there any Hofstra premeds on this site that know anything about the school's development?

They are in a preliminary accreditation phase at the moment, but I'm not sure what that entails. Has the school started to break ground on new buildings?

I'm curious as I have NY residency and would love to be back on LI.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about the new Hofstra medical school? Are there any Hofstra premeds on this site that know anything about the school's development?

They are in a preliminary accreditation phase at the moment, but I'm not sure what that entails. Has the school started to break ground on new buildings?

I'm curious as I have NY residency and would love to be back on LI.

I think Stony Brook has a SOM, isn't that in LI?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stony Brook is in Suffolk County; Hostra will be the only allopathic school in Nassau. They are ~ 1 hour apart, which may not seem significant to you but is to me.

Are there no Hofstra Premeds that can offer insight?

I would like to know more about this school too.

There is not much info out there except for some news articles a few years ago announcing it and some press-releases regarding administration selection. There will probably be more info in a couple months. The one known fact is that it will be linked with NorthShore-LIJ hospital system, so it will be linked with a very good hospital system and will be at an academic university. NS-LIJ is also were NYCOM students rotate, but unlike that situation NS-LIJ is in a direct partnership and joint enterprise with the upcoming hofstra med according to a press release.

Im a junior here at Hofstra, and at least 95% of the students here are declining their applications to the Hofstra Med School. We spent 3-4 years here, and are aware of the school, environment, and especially the night life, and it's not suitable for med school! Also, since it is the first class, they will be using the students as the guinea pigs to see how well the studies go! I think if you really want a solid medical background, hold off on Hofstra SOM for a couple of years, because by then, it will be one of the "best" med schools, especially on the Northeastern.

1. What is the average MCAT of students who ENTER the school?
2. What is the average GPA?
3. What percentage of the people are in-state?

Thanks in advnace.

1. What is the average MCAT of students who ENTER the school?
2. What is the average GPA?

Thanks in advnace.

way to advanced for any of those questions

Can't really comment on Hofstra as a whole, but I did interview at the med school a few weeks back. To answer the OP's question about buildings, they have a brand spanking new building where the NY Jets used to train. It's complete with anatomy lab, library, classrooms/lecture halls, cafeteria and lots of places to study. It seem to really have been designed with students in mind and should be more than enough space for the first class. Also, they took us on a tour of some of the other facilities like their simulation center which is also nice and new and belongs to the NS-LIJ health system, but many courses will be taught there. I believe they will also be expanding the medical school to some other buildings.

1. What is the average mcat of students who enter the school?
2. What is the average gpa?

Thanks in advnace.
1. 0
2. 0
3. 0 %

Im a junior here at Hofstra, and at least 95% of the students here are declining their applications to the Hofstra Med School. We spent 3-4 years here, and are aware of the school, environment, and especially the night life, and it's not suitable for med school!

Last edited:
Im a junior here at Hofstra, and at least 95% of the students here are declining their applications to the Hofstra Med School. We spent 3-4 years here, and are aware of the school, environment, and especially the night life, and it's not suitable for med school!

Can you be more specific? What about Hofstra is "not suitable" for med school, aside from the fact that this is the first class?