About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

hofstra medical school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by MalibuPreMD, Aug 18, 2009.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. MalibuPreMD

MalibuPreMD

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Does anyone know about the new Hofstra medical school? Are there any Hofstra premeds on this site that know anything about the school's development?

They are in a preliminary accreditation phase at the moment, but I'm not sure what that entails. Has the school started to break ground on new buildings?

I'm curious as I have NY residency and would love to be back on LI.
  2. AKAdemic

AKAdemic

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I think Stony Brook has a SOM, isn't that in LI?
  3. Longshanks

Longshanks

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yes it is. Further out on the island.
  4. MalibuPreMD

MalibuPreMD

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Stony Brook is in Suffolk County; Hostra will be the only allopathic school in Nassau. They are ~ 1 hour apart, which may not seem significant to you but is to me.

Are there no Hofstra Premeds that can offer insight?
  5. schrizto

schrizto

Pre-Medical
    NCPA hSDN Alumni SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would like to know more about this school too.
  6. JBL35

JBL35

r
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  7. Longshanks

Longshanks

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    There is not much info out there except for some news articles a few years ago announcing it and some press-releases regarding administration selection. There will probably be more info in a couple months. The one known fact is that it will be linked with NorthShore-LIJ hospital system, so it will be linked with a very good hospital system and will be at an academic university. NS-LIJ is also were NYCOM students rotate, but unlike that situation NS-LIJ is in a direct partnership and joint enterprise with the upcoming hofstra med according to a press release.
  8. HofstraPreMed

HofstraPreMed Pre-Med

Pre-Medical
    Im a junior here at Hofstra, and at least 95% of the students here are declining their applications to the Hofstra Med School. We spent 3-4 years here, and are aware of the school, environment, and especially the night life, and it's not suitable for med school! Also, since it is the first class, they will be using the students as the guinea pigs to see how well the studies go! I think if you really want a solid medical background, hold off on Hofstra SOM for a couple of years, because by then, it will be one of the "best" med schools, especially on the Northeastern.
  9. zut212

zut212

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    1. What is the average MCAT of students who ENTER the school?
    2. What is the average GPA?
    3. What percentage of the people are in-state?

Thanks in advnace.
  10. samuraiR

samuraiR

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

way to advanced for any of those questions
  11. badb100d

badb100d Jedi Master

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Can't really comment on Hofstra as a whole, but I did interview at the med school a few weeks back. To answer the OP's question about buildings, they have a brand spanking new building where the NY Jets used to train. It's complete with anatomy lab, library, classrooms/lecture halls, cafeteria and lots of places to study. It seem to really have been designed with students in mind and should be more than enough space for the first class. Also, they took us on a tour of some of the other facilities like their simulation center which is also nice and new and belongs to the NS-LIJ health system, but many courses will be taught there. I believe they will also be expanding the medical school to some other buildings.
  12. wanderer

wanderer

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    1. 0
    2. 0
    3. 0 %
  13. vitaebellaa

vitaebellaa

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What isn't to like about the night life? Dizzy's is SO appealing. :laugh:
    I'm from LI and have yet to let my high school friends drag me their over break... I've heard stories.

But I feel the same way OP! I'm still semi-early in the process, but Hofstra is one of my top picks because I really really want to go back to Long Island/NY in general. I've also had basically all of my clinical experience/volunteer work at LIJ as well as family members who work in the system and I would love to do rotations there/work there myself one day! Where do you go to Undergrad (if you don't mind me asking?)
  14. orion333

orion333

Can you be more specific? What about Hofstra is "not suitable" for med school, aside from the fact that this is the first class?