Honest answer on chances for DO programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psp336

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it still a long shot at the newest programs? Also how high of an MCAT score would I need to be considered somewhat competitive given the rest of my stats?

Best chances will be at newest programs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it still a long shot at the newest programs? Also how high of an MCAT score would I need to be considered somewhat competitive given the rest of my stats?

No, your post-bac does great things for your application. Especially with the 4.0! But I'd say try your best to shadow a DO (specifically in PCP/FM, uses OMT in their practice) so you get a feel for what DO's do. If you can't do that get in contact with a osteopathic medical student. That is what I did and I had great mentorships with them for 2 years and even got to "practice" some OMT on them as well.

How have you been doing on the practice tests?
high 20s- low 30s. However, when I was studying last time I was getting similar results (mostly high 20s) on practice tests.

During the last actual MCAT I did run out of time for Physical Science and don't think I got to every question, so that definitely hurt. Been focusing a lot on timing while studying this time around

Was it anxiety the first time?
Partly anxiety. I've never been the quickest test taker or a quick reader, so the fact that its under tight time constraints causes anxiety naturally for me.