Honesty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compozine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Compozine said:
This is my personal request to all of you guys on SDN to please be honest when posting information about waitlist movement. I have a close family connection to a medical school (to which I did not apply). Today, I was talking with this person about the admissions process, and they informed me that the school had not taken anyone off the waitlist yet. However, over the past several days I have seen 3 people post on this site claiming to have been pulled from that very waitlist.

The purpose of this site is to provide a resource for premeds who are trying to gain insight into this whole process. It is really hurtfull, and unethical for people to post blatant lies on this site. Try to think about your fellow premeds and how stressful this whole process is. Posting false information is not only dishonest, but intentionally playing head games with other people whom you don't even know it really cruel.

As future doctors, I like to think that we all hold ourselves to the highest standards of integrity and compassion. Please think about your future patients, and what kind of physician they would like to have. Thank you

how do we know your friend isn't lying about the lack of movement on the waitlist? I doubt 3 different individuals would lie about being taken off of a waitlist, there's no incentive to lie about this...

quantummechanic said:
how do we know your friend isn't lying about the lack of movement on the waitlist? I doubt 3 different individuals would lie about being taken off of a waitlist, there's no incentive to lie about this...

The incentive to lie is to play games with other people.

Members don't see this ad :)
The question is really why we should believe what anyone posts on the internet. Including you, OP.

Taking things with a grain of salt is never a bad idea.

Or here's another option... for a school with rolling admission, unless you are taken the month that you interview, you are put on hold. With KU, I was on a "waitlist" until mid march when they made their final decisions. Some schools may make their final decisions later than mid march. So, a person could be taken off a "waitlist" lately, yet not be on what most people would consider the waitlist. (Those left after schools have made their final decisions.)
Maybe this is a convoluted description, but different schools seem to have different terms to describe an applicants position, and it can be confusing.

What school are you referring to? You said 3 people - I looked at the lists that have 3 people updates and I noticed the school I was accepted to has 3 people, and I know we aren't lying. Just want to make sure you, and the rest of the SDN population, doesn't think it is us.

Compozine said:
This is my personal request to all of you guys on SDN to please be honest when posting information about waitlist movement. I have a close family connection to a medical school (to which I did not apply). Today, I was talking with this person about the admissions process, and they informed me that the school had not taken anyone off the waitlist yet. However, over the past several days I have seen 3 people post on this site claiming to have been pulled from that very waitlist.

The purpose of this site is to provide a resource for premeds who are trying to gain insight into this whole process. It is really hurtfull, and unethical for people to post blatant lies on this site. Try to think about your fellow premeds and how stressful this whole process is. Posting false information is not only dishonest, but intentionally playing head games with other people whom you don't even know it really cruel.

As future doctors, I like to think that we all hold ourselves to the highest standards of integrity and compassion. Please think about your future patients, and what kind of physician they would like to have. Thank you

MollyMalone said:
The question is really why we should believe what anyone posts on the internet. Including you, OP.

Taking things with a grain of salt is never a bad idea.

Yes, considering that the OP has already had two threads locked it seems it is his/her online etiquette that needs tweaking. :)
This is an open forum, and so some false info is inevitably going to get posted. If enough people post true info though, this kind of noise usually washes out in the mix.

Compozine said:

jesus. you're a real piece of work.

What the hell is up with all these lame threads lately?
Must have had a SDN drive at the local high schools. :rolleyes:
If you believe everything you read on SDN, then you must be dumb enough to listen to rockstars and hollywood actors for voting advice.

Out with it, then.

What's the school? Who are the offending posters?

This thread is way too grave and stalkerific. Who cares about who is moving on or off of this and that waitlist. SDN only represents a fraction of the total anyway. No one is compelled to be honest on SDN

Shredder said:
This thread is way too grave and stalkerific. Who cares about who is moving on or off of this and that waitlist. SDN only represents a fraction of the total anyway. No one is compelled to be honest on SDN

Agreed. Thanks for nothing, OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
SanDiegoSOD said:
Agreed. Thanks for nothing, OP.

I just think if you're going to make this thread, you should at least have the guts to call out the people you claim are lying. Maybe it would turn into a flame war (or maybe the people being called out could just scan their acceptance letters and prove the OP is full of it), but it least it would be better than this "trust no one" BS the OP is floating.

Against ToS I believe. For good reason; gossip sucks

Aren't you the guy that started the non-trad applicant bashing thread? :rolleyes:

Things aren't looking good for OP

I have to say this is the most *****ic thing I have seen on SDN. I'm sure people lie about things but the waitlist... come on... ridiculous. :laugh:

a troll perhaps?

Compozine said:
I requested that one of those posts be locked because I did not like the way the hostility was going. Second of all, I am not going to reveal the name of the school because it would start a flame war. The offenders know who they are and that is enough. If you guys want to stick your head in the sand and pretend like all of those "I got into X school" are real, go right ahead. I am just warning you, SDN is a magnet for psychopaths who get their rocks off stirring up premeds.

I love this guy/girl!

Compozine said:
I am just warning you, SDN is a magnet for psychopaths who get their rocks off stirring up premeds.

Case in point...

Law2Doc said:
Yes, considering that the OP has already had two threads locked it seems it is his/her online etiquette that needs tweaking. :)
This is an open forum, and so some false info is inevitably going to get posted. If enough people post true info though, this kind of noise usually washes out in the mix.

As usual, Law2Doc is the voice of reason (among others, like our girl MollyMalone)... :thumbup:

And, keep in mind this is the poster who got in over his head insulting non-trads, non-ivy schools, etc, and then couldn't handle it, so had the mod shut down his thread. :rolleyes:

Compozine said:
SDN is a magnet for psychopaths who get their rocks off stirring up premeds.

Yes.

It would make no sense to lie about acceptances. I highly doubt anyone would make that stuff up because it wouldn't shake-up anyone. Of course, mdapplicants profiles w/ 45 MCAT, 4.0 GPAs getting rejected everywhere due to a "late application" is meant to freak some people out.

However, it might be smart to twist up your information a little on the internet. If I had an mdapplicants.com profile (and my application cycle is not complete yet), I'd slightly change my GPA (+- 0.01) and alter my MCAT score breakdown (for example, BS = -1, PS = +1). At the end of the cycle, I'd just reveal the true numbers. This way you stay anonymous and at the same time, share useful information.

I think I've seen more hostility in the last two days than in my last year or so on SDN...I'm staying out of this one...oh wait, I just posted... :confused:

jackieMD2007 said:
As usual, Law2Doc is the voice of reason (among others, like our girl MollyMalone)... :thumbup:

And, keep in mind this is the poster who got in over his head insulting non-trads, non-ivy schools, etc, and then couldn't handle it, so had the mod shut down his thread. :rolleyes:

Actually, I think the OP is a she (and, for fairness' sake, I feel compelled to point out that the OP's first locked post (MD vs. DO vein) was shut down because it was a duplicate, not because of its hostile content).

NY Musicologist said:
Actually, I think the OP is a she (and, for fairness' sake, I feel compelled to point out that the OP's first locked post (MD vs. DO vein) was shut down because it was a duplicate, not because of its hostile content).

You know that MD. Vs DO thread was NOT the one I was referring to. :rolleyes:

OP,

If a frail old man says, "I have candy in my pants, wanna bite?" Would you believe him?

Same rules apply here. Take with a grain of salt.

RayhanS1282 said:
OP,

If a frail old man says, "I have candy in my pants, wanna bite?" Would you believe him?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ND2005 said:
I just think if you're going to make this thread, you should at least have the guts to call out the people you claim are lying. Maybe it would turn into a flame war (or maybe the people being called out could just scan their acceptance letters and prove the OP is full of it), but it least it would be better than this "trust no one" BS the OP is floating.

I second that! Compozine, call the perps out, just make sure the SDNer you choose to point the finger at doesn't have some thousand posts :laugh:

RayhanS1282 said:
OP,

I like how your sign changes with the application cycle. didn't it used to say "will work for interview"?

:D genius!!!

i doubt the OP is overtly lying, it's proabably a misunderstanding.

mchou said:
I like how your sign changes with the application cycle. didn't it used to say "will work for interview"?

:D genius!!!

Thanks. Glad you liked 'em.

The problem with SDN, is once an individual gets a reputation, its hard to get rid of it. I don't think the Op is as bad as everyone is making him/her out to be. (yes, I've read all of the threads). The non traditional bashing thread didn't start out that way. The Op's original post was innocent enough, the second one was a little bit more difficult... Also, I'm guessing the Op didn't realize that someone went to the non traditional site and told the non traditionals that there was a thread that was bashing them.... so of course they all came and jumped on the kid. I think he/she probable got defensive and rather than apologizing, argued... (not the best idea) I'm not sure what this thread is about.... but I don't know that its fair to jump all over him/her because of earlier threads....

noelleruckman said:
The problem with SDN, is once an individual gets a reputation, its hard to get rid of it. I don't think the Op is as bad as everyone is making him/her out to be. (yes, I've read all of the threads). The non traditional bashing thread didn't start out that way. The Op's original post was innocent enough, the second one was a little bit more difficult... Also, I'm guessing the Op didn't realize that someone went to the non traditional site and told the non traditionals that there was a thread that was bashing them.... so of course they all came and jumped on the kid. I think he/she probable got defensive and rather than apologizing, argued... (not the best idea) I'm not sure what this thread is about.... but I don't know that its fair to jump all over him/her because of earlier threads....

Out of fairness, there were traditional students and us in-between non trads (the early 20's...23, 24, 25) that were critical of this poster's attitude, as well as the older non-trads.

I have never said that this poster was "a bad person", just that some of these posts have definitely deserved the :thumbdown: for various reasons.

jackieMD2007 said:
Out of fairness, there were traditional students and us in-between non trads (the early 20's...23, 24, 25) that were critical of this poster's attitude, as well as the older non-trads.

I have never said that this poster was "a bad person", just that some of these posts have definitely deserved the :thumbdown: for various reasons.

I'll agree with you. And I belong in the "in between" category. (25) Humility would've helped him a lot in that thread. However, I think it took some humility to close the thread. He apparently didn't like how it was going. It would've been better to apologize instead of getting defensive, but for some, (including my husband :D ) it is difficult to admit that one is wrong.

noelleruckman said:
I'll agree with you. And I belong in the "in between" category. (25) Humility would've helped him a lot in that thread. However, I think it took some humility to close the thread. He apparently didn't like how it was going. It would've been better to apologize instead of getting defensive, but for some, (including my husband :D ) it is difficult to admit that one is wrong.

Hi Noelle,

I agree with you. :laugh: My husband is the same way but (usually) is able to keep himself out of the hot water so he doesn't have to send out the SOS! :eek:

Compozine said:

If you didn't apply to the school in question, then why do you care?

These sorts of posts make me think of Kyle Brovlofski's (sp?) mom from South Park.

Too much time on the hands + hypervigilance = moral absolutes for everyone, whether you like it or not.

These are free forums, just like the street corner outside your front door. People will change the stories as they hear something 3rd- 4th- 5th-hand. Participate, but be open to learn from the exchange.

On a separate note, Rayhan, great avatar change. Keep on truckin'!

noelleruckman said:
Also, I'm guessing the Op didn't realize that someone went to the non traditional site and told the non traditionals that there was a thread that was bashing them.... so of course they all came and jumped on the kid.

I'm the one who alerted the nontrad forum to the existence of the thread. However, I did this in the mid-afternoon, long after the thread had turned ugly, and the mod shut the thread down only about an hour after I'd drawn people's attention to it. (Not that they *needed* me to draw attn, since many nontrads read pre-allo regularly anyway.)

Anyway, my intention in bringing the thread to the nontrads' attention was not to encourage people to bash the OP, but rather to open the door to productive dialogue.

I apologize to the OP and to the other forum members for whatever small part I may have played in worsening an ugly situation; such was not my goal.

Best,
NYM :)

NY Musicologist said:
I'm the one who alerted the nontrad forum to the existence of the thread. However, I did this in the mid-afternoon, long after the thread had turned ugly, and the mod shut the thread down only about an hour after I'd drawn people's attention to it. (Not that they *needed* me to draw attn, since many nontrads read pre-allo regularly anyway.)

Anyway, my intention in bringing the thread to the nontrads' attention was not to encourage people to bash the OP, but rather to open the door to productive dialogue.

I apologize to the OP and to the other forum members for whatever small part I may have played in worsening an ugly situation; such was not my goal.

Best,
NYM :)

I don't think you did anything wrong and I don't think you should apologize. Nice that you did, but I don't think you had to. You were not the one being a jerk. ;)

I think it is good that the non-trads who hadn't already seen it could come and take a look. At least they (we?) will have more exposure to the kinds of attitudes that we'll be up against in med school. :smuggrin:

jackieMD2007 said:
At least they (we?) will have more exposure to the kinds of attitudes that we'll be up against in med school. :smuggrin:

The folks who actually get into med school usually don't have this attitude. It tends to be the less successful applicants who feel the need to complain about who is "taking their spot".

I actually think the OP's other thread contains exactly the kind of dishonest misinformation (eg the magnitude of nontrads out there) being complained about in this thread. People who live in glass houses...

noelleruckman said:
Trust me, in time on the Internet, you'll start to recognize trolls as soon as they start posting. I've been here for two years and almost five years at some other forums - you'll know when someone's trying to make a 50-page thread.

TheProwler said:
Trust me, in time on the Internet, you'll start to recognize trolls as soon as they start posting. I've been here for two years and almost five years at some other forums - you'll know when someone's trying to make a 50-page thread.

Wait, what's the point of the 50 page thread? I'm not sure I understand.

mchou said:
Wait, what's the point of the 50 page thread? I'm not sure I understand.
Endless arguments. Trolls like making big fusses out of nothing, so you post up something guaranteed to have a huge response - URMs, US News rankings, etc.