In all honesty... would you prefer to stay in/close to your current city or move far far away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Engrailed

Are your hands dry as well?
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
There are great medical schools near where I live but given that I haven't even submitted all of my secondaries, and no II, the idea of actually considering the location of schools is an afterthought at this point.

Irrespective of what your top choice is for med school, would you prefer to stay close to where you are now or go somewhere totally different (or in between)? Medical school is a long commitment and even after med school, there's residency. So realistically, most of us might be living nomadic lives until a decade from now.

Just curious to hear your thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm from a small town in New England, so moving to any city sounds exciting, but if I could stay in New England/Northeast, I'd be thrilled. I'm used to the East Coast vibe, and I even like the cold weather. Most of my school list is there, so if I'm lucky, my wish just might come true.

I'm from a small town in New England, so moving to any city sounds exciting, but if I could stay in New England/Northeast, I'd be thrilled. I'm used to the East Coast vibe, and I even like the cold weather. Most of my school list is there, so if I'm lucky, my wish just might come true.

Oh I hope you make it! :)
Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Originally, I would have preferred to stay in/near my home town. But now after being in a new city half way across the country for a little over a month, I actually really like it. It's nice to experience a new place and its nice to be away from the distractions I would have had back home.

Reactions: 3 users
I think living near a support system and family can be really crucial for those of us that are more introverted/have trouble meeting new people. As one of those, I would much prefer to live near family either in my home city or in cities of my extended family. On the other hand, I know some people would rather get away from crazy members of the fam :laugh:

We are going to be moving alot anyways, might as well spend what time one can near those they love

Reactions: 7 users
I would like to be in a city or area similar to my current city. 100,000 < x > 500,000 people (or at least a strong community vibe like Hyde Park Chicago :) ) and relatively affordable, walkable, good schools and jobs for my family....

• Love
I will go wherever is cheapest, which is likely to be one of the schools near me, but it might end up being somewhere else if I'm lucky enough to get a scholarship.

Reactions: 6 users
My top 2 criteria for school selection:
  1. Total cost
  2. Location - primarily, not NYC, California, or anywhere that I can't rent a 2-3bd house with a yard for less than $1400 a month. That limits me to basically the midwest/west

Reactions: 2 users
I can't rent a 2-3bd house with a yard for less than $1400 a month
This is basically Midwest. That was where most of my initial school list was. There are unfortunately only like....6 schools in the midwest that match the stats for me....

I'm paying only ~1000 a month for a 3 bedroom house in the northeast. It is in the middle of nowhere, though, and the commute will be rough.
True, there are a few out East (mostly in the south) that are affordable near the school (UVA, Duke, Vandy). Once you start moving north (unfortunately where most of the medical schools in the country are....) then you have to be far out (<35 minutes with medium traffic) for affordability. I don't know about commutes...365 hours a year waisted getting to and from school (minimum) is close to $10,000 in dollar value at my current wages....Even at minimum wage, that is a waisted $2,700 of 'time' not to mention it is valued higher for me due to family....I know time doesn't have a dollar value, but you get what I am saying....

True, there are a few out East (mostly in the south) that are affordable near the school (UVA, Duke, Vandy). Once you start moving north (unfortunately where most of the medical schools in the country are....) then you have to be far out (<35 minutes with medium traffic) for affordability. I don't know about commutes...365 hours a year waisted getting to and from school (minimum) is close to $10,000 in dollar value at my current wages....Even at minimum wage, that is a waisted $2,700 of 'time' not to mention it is valued higher for me due to family....I know time doesn't have a dollar value, but you get what I am saying....
Yeah, unfortunately, commutes are going to be a problem in just about any major city in any region of the country, unless you happen to live near the school, but then you often sacrifice affordability. But there are plenty of schools that aren't in huge cities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, unfortunately, commutes are going to be a major problem in just about any major city in any region of the country. Unless you happen to live near the school, but then you often sacrifice affordability. But there are plenty of schools that aren't in huge cities.
Very true. And if one wants to live in the city there is still a variety to choose from that has a balance of cost and closeness. ie. You can pay around $1700 a month to live in Hyde Park for Uchicago like a mile from the school, and a lot of the NYC schools have student housing (not very affordable family housing....but cheap as hell if you don't have a family).

Very true. And if one wants to live in the city there is still a variety to choose from that has a balance of cost and closeness. ie. You can pay around $1700 a month to live in Hyde Park for Uchicago like a mile from the school, and a lot of the NYC schools have student housing (not very affordable family housing....but cheap as hell if you don't have a family).
1700 seems like a lot to me, but yeah.. I've never lived in a city... lol

Yeah my wife basically said "we can go anywhere and support your dream as long as the girls have a yard to play in" I limited it to $1400 because most schools won't let me spend much more than that on housing (even that is probably pushing it)

most schools won't let me spend much more than that on housing (even that is probably pushing it)
Won't let you? I know that is the max you can spend at a lot of schools (and yah, that is pushing it) but you can spend more if you can afford it (like spousal income?) is your wife not working (not that she has to, just curious)?

Won't let you? I know that is the max you can spend at a lot of schools (and yah, that is pushing it) but you can spend more if you can afford it (like spousal income?) is your wife not working (not that she has to, just curious)?

not really... two kids under 5 costs the same amount in daycare that she could make at a job so she prefers to raise our kids (not saying anything bad about people that do things differently). Anyway, we kinda derailed this thread @MemeLord @EmbryonalCarcinoma haha we are quite good at that

not really... two kids under 5 costs the same amount in daycare that she could make at a job so she prefers to raise our kids (not saying anything bad about people that do things differently). Anyway, we kinda derailed this thread @MemeLord @EmbryonalCarcinoma haha we are quite good at that
It is not really derailed. Very much on topic with good information I think. Conversation can likely continue.

I'm from Philly but want to move to the midwest. Can't stand big cities

I'm hoping to stay near my home. Incidentally, my top choice med school is actually within driving distance from my house and that's honestly a big reason as to why it's my top choice. (It's still an amazing medical school in its own right, though.) Even if this school wasn't the best, I'd still strongly consider it just because of how close it is to home. I come from a culture that's very family-based, so it's very important to me that I stay close to my family.

That being said, I definitely won't be living at home if I get into my top choice. I'll probably live in an apartment near campus and go home on weekends, which is what I'm doing right now for undergrad. (My undergrad university also happens to be very close to home.)

My top schools are my state schools. Good programs + near fam. People underestimate a good support network in med school.

My mom helped me so much throughout undergrad. Whenever I would be in finals she would feed me when I forgot to eat. It would be difficult going 4 very difficult years without my fam.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
There are great medical schools near where I live but given that I haven't even submitted all of my secondaries, and no II, the idea of actually considering the location of schools is an afterthought at this point.

Irrespective of what your top choice is for med school, would you prefer to stay close to where you are now or go somewhere totally different (or in between)? Medical school is a long commitment and even after med school, there's residency. So realistically, most of us might be living nomadic lives until a decade from now.

Just curious to hear your thoughts

Minnesota schools are definitely my top choice, I’d take our horrible -20 winters 100x over uppereast/west coast rent.

My top schools are my state schools. Good programs + near fam. People underestimate a good support network in med school.

My mom helped me so much throughout undergrad. Whenever I would be in finals she would feed me when I forgot to eat. It would be difficult going 4 very difficult years without my fam.

This is awesome! This is definitely a downside of being from a very rural part of the country. The closest private med school (no state schools in my state) is 850 miles from my parents!

Lived in my state for the last 10 yrs and in the Northeast for 15. It'd be so nice to experience somewhere else (warmer).
But would also like to stay here bc family is here, I wouldn't have to pack up the dog and move and I could potentially still work with my license until it expires (yes, I know its discouraged to work in med school).

I'll go with wherever takes me though.

I'm with coffee&scrubs on this one. Originally from Maryland so the east coast vibe is great and after spending nearly a decade in Indiana, I want to be as f****** far away as possible. The northeast is looking promising atm. With that being said (my family plans on moving within the next yr or so), I did want family to be within like no more than 5-6 hour driving distance in case some type of emergency disaster occurred (knowing my luck this will happen multiple times lol). I do not want to end up halfway across the country in Utah or something where I know virtually no one within anything less than 15 hour driving distance. Very introverted individual, don't share my life with many people, but sometimes it's nice to get away from family and start somewhere fresh, you know?

Most days I tell myself I would like to stay in state. I like Florida life. But there are some places that I wouldn’t mind going. New Orleans, Philadelphia, Chicago, California, DC, and New York. I like the urban life. Part of me wants to go somewhere new. My family has moved all over the place in the southeast so I don’t really have the whole family thing keeping me in Florida.

DC and Philly are great places! Used to live within 2 hrs of DC and often enjoyed going. It's a much calmer place than what you'd initially think. Spent 6 months in FL but my experience was so terrible that the state almost has a bad omen for me lol. If you do stay in state, there are great schools you can find, certainly wouldn't hurt exploring your options! :)

DC and Philly are great places! Used to live within 2 hrs of DC and often enjoyed going. It's a much calmer place than what you'd initially think. Spent 6 months in FL but my experience was so terrible that the state almost has a bad omen for me lol. If you do stay in state, there are great schools you can find, certainly wouldn't hurt exploring your options! :)

For sure. I applied to all the Florida schools. I’ve visited DC. Place seemed pretty chill.

DC would be amazing. Seems so calm there. It has the perks of a major city without the chaos of nyc, LA etc

• Haha
Having lived overseas for a few years, I really miss being accessible to friends and family at home in the northeast cities, and the plethora of concerts/events available there. But I'm also drawn towards cost and standard of living in more rural/southern parts of the country.
In all honesty, I'm not anticipating having a huge amount of choice in where I end up going though lol

I wanted to live in Kentucky but don’t think I’m going to get into Louisville or Ukentucky (in state bias) :(

• Haha
I wanted to live in Kentucky but don’t think I’m going to get into Louisville or Ukentucky (in state bias) :(

I'm like 20 miles from U of L. Are you sure you want to live here? Lol. I've got plenty of friends that have gotten in and they also live in state so don't doubt yourself too much, it's worth a shot!

I meant that I’m out of state. City life is too hectic. I’ve never been to Kentucky but like the idea of it

I absolutely want to stay in state if possible. My parents are getting older, my siblings are settling down and having kids, and I want to be close to by support system. If I can't stay nearby, I hope to stay within driving distance or a short flight. Then again, I am a CA resident, so who knows where I'll end up.

I never really had the tightest relationship with my family, like seeing each other on holidays kind of close lol, though I am fairly close with my mom and sister. I think it could go either way for me. I was born and raised in Maryland, so my first choice schools are in-state due to cost of attendance. However, after reading into what other schools/regions have to offer I think it'd be nice to experience somewhere new.

I feel you though @Engrailed. I've been applying to schools within a close distance to home (PA, DC, VA) and am hoping I didn't sell myself short.

I never really had the tightest relationship with my family, like seeing each other on holidays kind of close lol, though I am fairly close with my mom and sister. I think it could go either way for me. I was born and raised in Maryland, so my first choice schools are in-state due to cost of attendance. However, after reading into what other schools/regions have to offer I think it'd be nice to experience somewhere new.

I feel you though @Engrailed. I've been applying to schools within a close distance to home (PA, DC, VA) and am hoping I didn't sell myself short.

Im not from the DC/MD area but just a place I would def 1000% consider if I was fortunate to be in that position.
Ideally I would also like to stay close to home, as I dont have a lot of family in the US but I will go where life takes me, whether that’s in The midwest, west west, or etc

Im not from the DC/MD area but just a place I would def 1000% consider if I was fortunate to be in that position.
Ideally I would also like to stay close to home, as I dont have a lot of family in the US but I will go where life takes me, whether that’s in The midwest, west west, or etc
Interesting you classify DC as calm...to me (granted, have not been to DC since 2009) it seemed way to hectic, expensive and crowded...at least from the perspective of a 14 year old who spent 2 weeks there as a tourist lol

• Haha

I also was born in Maryland! I was only 30 minutes from the WV line so I mainly grew up there, but visited Ocean City, Baltimore, Annapolis, places like that fairly often. God, do I miss it. What part are you from? I am just curious. I have yet to meet anyone where I currently am from there! (if I mention Sheetz, everyone blankly stares and has zero idea of what I am talking about, you really miss it once it is gone lol) Penn State is probably a good school to consider, have heard good things about the University of Pittsburgh too. You may also consider places like Connecticut or Massachusetts that are within a few hours driving distances of Maryland. I am in basically the same boat as you are as far as wanting the east coast! I believe I have a list of schools on my computer that fit that narrative if you want me to send them your way, as I am also trying to be close to that area. I am not particularly close with anyone besides my brothers and mom who no longer reside in that area, but would want to be relatively close to at least someone I know in case disaster would strike.

• Love
Interesting you classify DC as calm...to me (granted, have not been to DC since 2009) it seemed way to hectic, expensive and crowded...at least from the perspective of a 14 year old who spent 2 weeks there as a tourist lol

Well, it's all relative, right?
Comparatively speaking, ANYWHERE would be an oasis compared to where I live.
I want to be closer to nature, ideally. Not too much nature but a good balance between trees vs people.
But beggars cant be choosers so I will go wherever the universe sends me (or doesnt send me)

I want to be closer to nature, ideally. Not too much nature but a good balance between trees vs people.
Lol so Basically you are just saying “I don’t want to be in NYC anymore” because most non-NYC places have lots of trees and parks and blah blah. I think. IDK. Only been to like....30 big cities?

Lol so Basically you are just saying “I don’t want to be in NYC anymore” because most non-NYC places have lots of trees and parks and blah blah. I think. IDK. Only been to like....30 big cities?

Will not confirm nor deny re/NYC but I think trees are a good reason for choosing a city in which to live.
All that green! Wouldn't you agree? That's my only parameter for choosing a city.

That was a joke:)
But sometimes change can be a good thing. Who knows.
I know shall know nothing until next summer

Will not confirm nor deny re/NYC but I think trees are a good reason for choosing a city in which to live.
All that green! Wouldn't you agree? That's my only parameter for choosing a city.

That was a joke:)
But sometimes change can be a good thing. Who knows.
I know shall know nothing until next summer
TBH this is fairly close to one of my criteria for ‘ideal school.’ I want to have ample hiking within 2 hours. That is all. Ample hiking. You can get that in a lot of places. Not all, but a lot.

TBH this is fairly close to one of my criteria for ‘ideal school.’ I want to have ample hiking within 2 hours. That is all. Ample hiking. You can get that in a lot of places. Not all, but a lot.

Oh man I would like to live in Utah for the skiing. You’ve never been downhill skiing until you’ve been to Utah, but university of Utah had stupid LOR requirements that I didn’t meet...

edit: also big cities make me a little claustrophobic. This is basically the view outside my parent's kitchen window

1566481663341.png

Last edited:
@Engrailed @MemeLord it definitely is relative lol. I grew up a city slicker, about an hour outside of DC, so the idea of a location with a little slower pace is appealing. I applied to Georgetown/GWU in DC, but I'd likely live across the way in VA or something.

@fruitcake2511 I love me some Sheetz lol! I have family in WV, and the Sheetz is the gas, coffee, and food stop before heading into the mountains.

@Engrailed @MemeLord it definitely is relative lol. I grew up a city slicker, about an hour outside of DC, so the idea of a location with a little slower pace is appealing. I applied to Georgetown/GWU in DC, but I'd likely live across the way in VA or something.

@fruitcake2511 I love me some Sheetz lol! I have family in WV, and the Sheetz is the gas, coffee, and food stop before heading into the mountains.

haha Im trying to suppress any potential preferences or parameters for schools/locations etc.
as I dont even think I will have that kind of luxury. but in a perfect world, something like a city that's not like crazy traffic/LA, or some sweltering heat of/Miami would be nice

haha Im trying to suppress any potential preferences or parameters for schools/locations etc.
as I dont even think I will have that kind of luxury. but in a perfect world, something like a city that's not like crazy traffic/LA, or some sweltering heat of/Miami would be nice

Haha I've been doing the same! I'm considering applying to a few schools in Ohio and the surrounding states just to cast a wider net. However, with it being close to the end of August I wonder if it'll be more or less making a charitable donation to school X in the form of a secondary application :laugh:.

I definitely agree that the congestion of a city like LA or NYC is for the birds though lol

• Love
A legitimate concern I have for moving somewhere new is spiders. I have terrible arachnophobia but here in Florida we dont get any, only lizards iguanas and the big ol roaches which is fine. But I've seen pics from places up north where they have HUGE FURRY spiders. So friends, which region of the US should I stay away from to avoid those (i.e Northeast? Anywhere with snow? Northwest etc.)

• Haha