How about OFF-Shore schools? Anybody heading there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beambright

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone chooses off shore schools and, if so, which ones
are the best. My dad works with several docs who started off shore but
did last two years in the states and are fine doctors. Hardly anyone ever
asks where you went to med school once you finish your residency anyway.
I may consider this option myself but need advice if that is a bad idea. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

beambright said:
I am wondering if anyone chooses off shore schools and, if so, which ones
are the best. My dad works with several docs who started off shore but
did last two years in the states and are fine doctors. Hardly anyone ever
asks where you went to med school once you finish your residency anyway.
I may consider this option myself but need advice if that is a bad idea. Thanks.

You will have trouble getting into competitive US residencies. Traditional view is MD is better than DO is better than foreign MD's for getting competitive residencies. It's expensive. It's in a foreign nation and std of living will be a step down from what ur used to.

But if it's your only option or you don't want to wait any more, by all means go for it and work hard.

Check out the International forum on the front page. Good luck!

I would suggest trying DO first. The reasons include a better chance of getting into a competitive residency, it is cheaper due to government loans and opportunities for NHSC and other scholarships, and you can stay in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
CaptainJack02 said:
You will have trouble getting into competitive US residencies. Traditional view is MD is better than DO is better than foreign MD's for getting competitive residencies. It's expensive. It's in a foreign nation and std of living will be a step down from what ur used to.

But if it's your only option or you don't want to wait any more, by all means go for it and work hard.

Check out the International forum on the front page. Good luck!
no sir my friend.
US MD > IMG
US MD> DO
DO vs IMG? depends upon the school youre talking about. Common error but if you dont believe me check out DO placements and placements from the better IMG schools.

If you do that route go to SGU. It is acknowledged by most people as the best and going there will save you a lot of hassles.