How are my stats? What areas could I strengthen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysian12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be applying this coming cycle so I would like to know what areas of my application I should strengthen before the cycle opens

Science GPA: 3.85
Non-science: 3.78
DAT: 20 AA, 20 TS, 21 PAT, 22 Ochem, 21 Gen Chem, 20 Bio, 19 RC, 18 QR

Approximately 90 shadowing hours
Approximately 150 community service hours (hoping to be around 200 by time June comes around)
Some leadership positions

I honestly don't really have manual dexterity. Would cross dominant count?

What else?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Looking solid!

Reactions: 1 user
Can you be more specific what your "leadership positions" are? What organizations and how long you have been involved? If you don't have any manual dexterity, dentistry is not going to work for you. Do you play the piano or other instrument? How about doing any sewing, needlework, video gaming, anything like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I will be applying this coming cycle so I would like to know what areas of my application I should strengthen before the cycle opens

Approximately 150 community service hours (hoping to be around 200 by time June comes around)

What else?

Thanks

Nice GPA/DAT
For manual dexterity, is there a club on campus where you can do wood-working, or pottery, etc.?

Well it's too late to do anything more about extracurriculars...you either did them or you didn't. You can't get away with starting something last minute to put on your application...that's not a good look. You're fine, but you must have manual dexterity, otherwise the adcoms wouldn't ask about it. Are you a good typist? Did you do anything requiring fine motor skills in your bio/chem labs?

Can you be more specific what your "leadership positions" are? What organizations and how long you have been involved? If you don't have any manual dexterity, dentistry is not going to work for you. Do you play the piano or other instrument? How about doing any sewing, needlework, video gaming, anything like that?

Nice GPA/DAT
For manual dexterity, is there a club on campus where you can do wood-working, or pottery, etc.?

I have held officer positions in my club, taught a class in the past, and work 1 on 1 in fitness clinics with people. I used to play video games all the time (computer, xbox, playstation). Would that count? I have built models of stuff and played with legos in the past, but they aren't hobbies. I have done gel electrophoresis in my labs where we load samples into the wells a few times, but its not a consistent thing. I can twirl a pencil around my fingers and spin text books on my finger (like a basketball) like crazy son of a gun lol. I don't think any of these would count. I agree I would not want to pick up something just for the sake of putting it down on my application.

I have built models of stuff and played with legos in the past

I have done gel electrophoresis in my labs where we load samples into the wells

Mention these two and you're good. They just want to make sure you're OK with your hands.

Reactions: 1 user
Research would further strengthen your already solid credentials.

Hi everyone,

What else?

Thanks
I would try to add more shadowing hours. I had around 150 at application time.