How are schools viewing MCAT2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

instamatic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I apologize if this has been discussed ( I couldn't find a similar thread).

Due to unforeseen familial circumstances, I had to pull my application this year :(

Unfortunately my MCAT score won't be accepted as widely as it would have been this year (outdated). At first I freaked out, highly considered taking it in October/January, but then I looked into MCAT2015, and came away relieved.

Despite the freakout in some MCAT threads, the new MCAT seems to be really good for a huge chunk of folks (nontrads especially) since it will be more focused on critical thinking and lack the remaining fact recall/easy-but-easy-to-mess-up-calculations. I was excited because I think I can shine at this type of test- at least compared to my prior MCAT show.

But when I talked to several adcom members at work (a top 10 research university, mind you), they seemed less enthralled. They stated they would be pretty unimpressed with someone who got a 32/33 on the first exam but then knocked the new one out of the park. Most of them don't think it will be a better predictor and actually pushed me to try and take the old one this year/January.

What have other folks found to be the opinions of similar folks? I'm looking for a larger sample size of opinions before I make a rash decision based on just a few opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you take your current MCAT ?
The second to last administration of it in 2011- actually wouldn't have been accepted at ALL schools this year but for most they were okay with three calendar years old.

More focused on critical thinking? What? It added three new content areas.
You're right it did. And obviously that would be more difficult for some folks, but my double major was neuroscience and psychology. So in my particular case, the extra content wouldn't be the biggest deal breaker, if I could take my time in taking it again rather than force a retake currently as I'm in the process of relocating 400 miles away as well. The bigger deal breaker would be if schools are not viewing it as as good an indicator as the old one etc

And maybe my understanding is incorrect, but from what I've read, yes it is more critical thinking based across the content areas. Of course, my research is preliminary which is why I'm here asking for advice :)

Last edited:
The old test will be easier to understand for old committee members. The new test results will quickly become interpretable. The challenge will be comparing the two. Don't fret about it. We'll just use percentages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user