UCLA Extension Viewed as 4-Year University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Python Forever

Reaction score
I'm a nontrad looking to start taking the prereqs the later half of this year. I live in SoCal so my options are limited to UCLA Extension, UCLA Concurrent Enrollment, and CSU classes. I think UCLA CE is out of the question due to cost and unreliability in getting into classes.

From what I understand, UCLA Extension is not part of UCLA, and is considered a separate entity, but offer XL versions of UCLA classes (e.g. UCLA Chem 14A gen chem 1 vs. UCLA XL 14A; almost exactly the same curriculum; can't speak on rigor). The extension school does not offer degree programs; only classes.

Considering this, how do adcoms see it? Is UCLA Extension viewed as a 4-year university? Or am I better off taking my classes at a CSU? Or is there no difference?

P.S. Is it OK to sprinkle some CC classes during your nontrad coursework as well? I'd like to take a couple of psychology classes and a microbiology class, but it seems I can only take those at Santa Monica College.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like they offer a certificate program? Pre-Medical and General Science Studies | UCLA Continuing Education

That would make it the same format as Berkeley and Harvard Extension schools, which do a good job at medical school placement. I don't know the UCLA extension school in particular, but I'd ask them about their placement and acceptance rate (surprised they don't list this on their site). But just because you don't get a degree from it does not disqualify it from being considered a 4 year university equivalent education.

I am a current student in the UCLA Extension Pre-Medical and General Sciences Studies certificate program.

At least _some_ of our classes are essentially the same as that of regular undergraduate UCLA students, including the same tests. For example, in our Life Sciences 7 series classes, the professors teaching the Extension version of the class also teach the undergraduate version of the class. Even the exams are the exactly the same. In this case, they are made by a committee and given out to both the regularly-enrolled UCLA students and the Extension students. Where the classes _differ_ are the labs. Because the Extension courses are held at night or on Saturday mornings, the laboratory work are handled differently or, sometimes, separately. For example, for the Life Sciences 7 series classes, the lab class is a separate class numbered XL 23. In other cases, the labs are held at another night. Some labs are held off-site at local community colleges but the lecture is on campus.

UCLA Extension does offer a microbiology course, for non-majors.

Note: While only courses marked with the letters "XL" are part of the certificate program, UCLA Extension offers other courses across a wide array of subjects. Some are taught by UCLA professors, but most by grad students or recent masters or PhD / MD graduates. Psychology is one of those.

As far as sprinkling in some CC courses -- I think that it is fine. That is what I am doing, adding a few CC courses that extend my interest. Furthermore, some CC courses are _harder_ than equivalent courses some 4-year university. For example, I originally took Calculus 1 at a 4-year school; a decade later, I then re-took the out-of-date Calculus 1 course at a CC and it was much harder. By the time the semester was half-over, one-third of the class had dropped out. I think that the idea that CC courses are universally easier than those at four-year schools is not accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had an acquaintance several years ago who thought that Harvard extension school was the same as "going to Harvard."

It isn't.

I had an acquaintance several years ago who thought that Harvard extension school was the same as "going to Harvard."

It isn't.

Yeah I totally understand that. But do you think UCLA Extension courses are viewed in the same light as 4-year institution courses? It's pretty much "pay the fee to guarantee a spot" rather than waiting for all registered students to finish signing up at CSU's, so I'd much prefer UCLA Extension, but if it's better to take it at a CSU, I'll just bite the bullet and go with CSU.

Yeah I totally understand that. But do you think UCLA Extension courses are viewed in the same light as 4-year institution courses? It's pretty much "pay the fee to guarantee a spot" rather than waiting for all registered students to finish signing up at CSU's, so I'd much prefer UCLA Extension, but if it's better to take it at a CSU, I'll just bite the bullet and go with CSU.

I'm not an adcom so I have no business telling you what to do. I pointed this out in one of my earlier posts that some DO schools take online prereq coursework so obviously they see online work as acceptable. As far as if it the UCLA extension program is "viewed in the same light," Let's just say I think a Harvard degree looks better than Harvard extension.

Your best bet is to ask specific schools whether they accept the coursework instead of asking that here on SDN.

As far as if it the UCLA extension program is "viewed in the same light," Let's just say I think a Harvard degree looks better than Harvard extension.

No, the extension schools are not the same as their university equivalents. However, they are not viewed negatively. OP is deciding between UCLA extension and CSU, which is not the same comparison as Harvard and Harvard Extension. I'd say between UCLA ext and CSU, UCLA ext would not be seen as worse.

I would agree that UCLA Extension is not the same as UCLA, but it is not necessarily worse than any other 4-year school as far as the rigor of classes are concerned. The grading scale is on par for many schoosl with +/- grading: In my physics class at UCLA Extension, an A was 100-94%, an A- was 93-91%, and a B+ was 90-87%. At many schools, a 90% would be an A or A-, but not here. In one of my biology courses, the A was 100-93%, and an A- was 92-90%. On the other hand, in my chemistry lab course, an A- was 89%.

UCLA extension does not have any data on placement of their students into med school because really it is very DIY and unstructured. You take the classes you need to take, they don't have any formal schedule or advising for you to follow. That being said I definitely do know people who have taken required courses from UCLA extension and been successful in gaining admission to medical school so I think adcoms do not view it negatively.

If you do concurrent enrollment your transcript will still be through UCLA extension. If you are concerned about rigor I would take some classes via concurrent enrollment because you may also potentially get some LORs from those profs who can directly assess you against the matriculated UCLA students.

I think either CSU or UCLA extension is fine. I have had positive experiences at UCLA extension and you will learn what you need to learn, plus I think it is doable to perform well.

Hi, I just use this topic to see if there's anyone is taking physiology X401 by Jack Hass this quarter at UCLA extension, of had already taken. I understand most people at UCLA extension have full time job, 2 jobs, and families. I'll hold a study group and hope it will get everyone a good outcome for future school application!

Question, for the microbiology class, it stated as Microbiology for nonmajor. What does that mean? Is that class good enough for medical school, PA, or any health professional? Thanks.

Question, for the microbiology class, it stated as Microbiology for nonmajor. What does that mean? Is that class good enough for medical school, PA, or any health professional? Thanks.
I know the professor who formerly taught this course (he taught another course that I took). In discussions with him, it means that it is microbiology geared towards students who are not microbio majors, so it approaches the topic from scratch without prior knowledge of the subject.