How can I improve my chances of acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbr115

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior and have completed all of my pre-med requirements. My overall GPA is 3.32 and my science GPA is 3.14.
Bio and lab: B+
Chem 2: B
Chem 2 lab: B+
Physics 1 and lab: A
Physics 2 and lab: B-
Analytical chem and lab: B
Orgo 1: B
Orgo 2: C
Orgo 2 lab: B
Anatomy and lab: B

I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I plan on taking it before the change to the 2015 format. I know that will give me a better idea of where I stand after I take it.

My GPA is not very competitive and it worries me a lot. I think I can improve my overall GPA because I have been doing well in my major so far. In order to get into my major, I had to complete all of my gen eds before my junior year. That forced me to rush my pre-med required classes. For example, I took Physics 2, orgo 1, and analytical chem all in the same semester which was difficult.I have also had a lot of stress with family and financial issues.

Should I retake orgo 2 or physics 2? Should I consider an SMP or Post Bacc program? Should I consider DO? Are there any MD schools that I could get into? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want to go to an MD school and I am ready to put the work in to get there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am currently a junior and have completed all of my pre-med requirements. My overall GPA is 3.32 and my science GPA is 3.05.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I plan on taking it before the change to the 2015 format. I know that will give me a better idea of where I stand after I take it.

My GPA is not very competitive and it worries me a lot. I think I can improve my overall GPA because I have been doing well in my major so far. In order to get into my major, I had to complete all of my gen eds before my junior year. That forced me to rush my pre-med required classes. For example, I took Physics 2, orgo 1, and analytical chem all in the same semester which was difficult.I have also had a lot of stress with family and financial issues.

1) Should I retake orgo 2 or physics 2?
2) Should I consider an SMP or Post Bacc program?
3) Should I consider DO?
4) Are there any MD schools that I could get into?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want to go to an MD school and I am ready to put the work in to get there.
1) No.

2) Yes, or you could alternatively take a lot of upper-level Bio and Biochem and get A to A- grades before graduating. You could consider an extra year of college before applying.

3) Yes.

4) It's premature to decide. It depends on the strength of your MCAT, an upward greade trend, your final grades/GPAs, and how comprehensive your ECs appear. It would be easier if you have a lenient state school.

I am currently a junior and have completed all of my pre-med requirements. My overall GPA is 3.32 and my science GPA is 3.05.

Should I retake orgo 2 or physics 2? Should I consider an SMP or Post Bacc program? Should I consider DO? Are there any MD schools that I could get into? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want to go to an MD school and I am ready to put the work in to get there.

I think you should retake physics 2/lab and Orgo 2 so you can get your sGPA>3.2, then get 26+ MCAT and you will be competitive at many DO schools... As for MD, you need a postbacc or an SMP (3.7+ GPA) with 32+ MCAT. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently my science GPA is a 3.14. Would you still recommend that I retake both physics 2 and orgo 2 or should I just retake orgo 2? Should I try to take biochem?

Apparently my science GPA is a 3.14. Would you still recommend that I retake both physics 2 and orgo 2 or should I just retake orgo 2? Should I try to take biochem?

Retake Orgo 2 and try to get an A in biochem... A 3.2 sGPA is more appealing than a 3.14 even though they are very close.