How far in advance is it acceptable to ask for LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I have seen people ask this before but haven't been able to find an answer.

I am applying in 2023.

I have a professor I'd like to ask for a science LOR. I took two classes with her in Spring and Summer 2022. I'd like to ask for a LOR before she forgets me. I have run through all of the classes she teaches and she isn't looking for any research assistants right now, so this is the end of the road for us.

If I ask for the letter now, it will be dated nearly a year in advance.

Is this an okay thing to do? Are there better options I am not thinking of?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying in 2023. If I ask for the letter now, it will be dated nearly a year in advance. Is this an okay thing to do? Are there better options I am not thinking of?
Yes, it's completely fine to ask for the letter now. You can always ask her to update the date next year right before you apply. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I'd suggest asking the prof in question.

From my perspective, I'm not going to forget a student in a year and would prefer to write for you the year you're actually applying. This is largely because I've been burned by writing a letter "early" for someone and then having something happen that makes me want to have my name no longer attached to their application / recommendation, like them being embroiled in a cheating ring in the department. I know other colleagues with similar feelings. It's also because I've had a number of students ask me for letters and then not actually end up applying- and that's quite a bit of wasted time and energy on my part.

That said, if you let me know now that you would like to have me write for you, I'll likely jot down some notes for when I do write your letter, when you're applying.

Personally, I'd suggest asking the prof in question.

From my perspective, I'm not going to forget a student in a year and would prefer to write for you the year you're actually applying. This is largely because I've been burned by writing a letter "early" for someone and then having something happen that makes me want to have my name no longer attached to their application / recommendation, like them being embroiled in a cheating ring in the department. I know other colleagues with similar feelings. It's also because I've had a number of students ask me for letters and then not actually end up applying- and that's quite a bit of wasted time and energy on my part.

That said, if you let me know now that you would like to have me write for you, I'll likely jot down some notes for when I do write your letter, when you're applying.

Thank you. :) I have heard from some people that it helps to send the occasional email updating the professor you would like the letter from in the future with what you are "up to" now. What do you think about that?

I mean, I love hearing from former student whether I’m writing letters or not, so sounds great to me! Or if you’re on campus, dropping by and saying hello.

I usually set up a time to chat via Zoom or in person with students if it’s been a while and I’m writing a letter so I can include some context.

Hi OP. If you have a really strong relationship with this professor, it would be a good idea to ask for an LOR imo. But, if you're going to do this, I'd keep in contact with them - either by taking another class with them or turning them into a mentor. That way you relationship grows and they have more things to say about you!