How important is the interview in admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pangarocket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I have a 3.9 sGPA and 23AA on the DAT. I've gotten 6 interviews so far. I've only had UConn so far and I was not prepared for it at all...got some unexpected questions that I didn't research beforehand and didn't know how to answer. How important is the interview in getting accepted? Do schools basically disregard all the numbers once you're at the interview stage? I'm considering whether I should apply to more schools at this point since I only applied to 9 schools and they're all super competitive (Penn, Maryland, Pitt, Columbia, UConn, etc) since I thought I would have a decent shot at them but now I'm not so sure... :S

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of book smart people out in the world. The interview is for them to get to know you as a person and how you think and interact with people. You are there because of extracurricular and academics, but now they want to see a new dimension. It's important and can make or break you.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you have to ace the interview to get accepted, as in, do schools only accept the top interview performers? Or is it okay to just do decently on it? I wonder how much the interview weighs in the final decision and if your GPA/DAT/LOE/ECs have any influence in admissions once you get an interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering the same, but from the other perspective. I have an average GPA at best, but I do well in the interviews imo. I wonder how much the interview can help me get accepted or if they go back and look at the numbers too before deciding after I've interviewed.

Totally depends on the school. I know that Columbia doesn't even refer to GPA or DAT once the interview has been done.

Reactions: 1 user
The interview is pretty important, but then again it comes with practice. If you have 6 interviews lined up right now, then you shouldn't have a problem doing well on your last two interviews. You will notice that many of the interviews will be similar in questions like why dentistry? why our program? why should we choose you? your biggest weakness? what did you learn from your volunteer experiences?

Just keep practicing!

Hi guys, so I have a 3.9 sGPA and 23AA on the DAT. I've gotten 6 interviews so far. I've only had UConn so far and I was not prepared for it at all...got some unexpected questions that I didn't research beforehand and didn't know how to answer. How important is the interview in getting accepted? Do schools basically disregard all the numbers once you're at the interview stage? I'm considering whether I should apply to more schools at this point since I only applied to 9 schools and they're all super competitive (Penn, Maryland, Pitt, Columbia, UConn, etc) since I thought I would have a decent shot at them but now I'm not so sure... :S
Just practice more and also the more interviews you go to, the more calm and confident you will become so don't worry. Don't think of it as like an interview because it will put a lot of stress on you. Shift the perspective a little bit, if you were the faculty/interviewer/school admin, what types of students are you looking for?

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. With your statistics the interview is likely a formality....you would have to be completely inarticulate or show up late to not get admitted.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. With your statistics the interview is likely a formality....you would have to be completely inarticulate or show up late to not get admitted.

I'm starting to agree more and more with your point of view. I know some kid that got kicked out of the dental school this year and the situation was pretty ridiculous. One would question how someone with that kind of personality made it in.
It may have been a decision based on the stats alone. Also, applicants and interviewers can't connect on a deep enough level to know each other in such a short period of time.

Where did you hear that?

I know for a fact, depending on the School that the interview is important. From talking to various deans of admissions, different places place different weights on the interview. Tennessee only had a 15 minutes interview and basically said that if you don't screw it up, you're in. I interviewed at Oklahoma and there were 3, 30 minute (1-on-1) interviews back to back to back. They also had a 0-20 scale that you were graded on and it is a huge deal there to interview well. So it really does depend on the school

I wouldn't go that far. If the applicant couldn't string 2 coherent words together, it doesn't matter what his stats are, he's not getting in. The interviews are not there to trip you up and if you messed up on a "few" questions, that could be an issue. In the OP's case, I guess it depends on what questions were asked and how he messed up. If he was asked why dentistry and he messed that up, that could be a big red flag. Seeing the reports from interviews across the board, I haven't really seen any questions that should stump you if you have been prepared....which is really what they are probably looking for. It could very well be that the OP will get several acceptances, but to flat out say his GPA and DAT are getting him in is just wrong. There are several high stat students that do not get in every year for one reason or another.

Also, not sure who you talked to but Tenn had a 59% acceptance rate in-state from people that interviewed, 79% acceptance for OOS, but only 15% of their candidates were out of state. That is a lot of "screw-ups" or whomever you talked to really didn't know their stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I know for a fact, depending on the School that the interview is important. From talking to various deans of admissions, different places place different weights on the interview. Tennessee only had a 15 minutes interview and basically said that if you don't screw it up, you're in. I interviewed at Oklahoma and there were 3, 30 minute (1-on-1) interviews back to back to back. They also had a 0-20 scale that you were graded on and it is a huge deal there to interview well. So it really does depend on the school

What about UCSF or BU?

I'm starting to agree more and more with your point of view. I know some kid that got kicked out of the dental school this year and the situation was pretty ridiculous. One would question how someone with that kind of personality made it in.
It may have been a decision based on the stats alone. Also, applicants and interviewers can't connect on a deep enough level to know each other in such a short period of time.

Why did that person got kicked out of dental school?