How long did you spend in school before Pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TechDude1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on a three-year plan right now to get my pre-req's done (and some extra Chem requirements).

Just wondering if people took three, four, five years to get their work done.

Members don't see this ad.

It's gonna take me 6 years total. I changed my major too many times before I decided what to do...

Also, how hard is it to get a b.a. or b.s. in chem in 4 four years and also have all the pre-req's done for pharm?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on a three-year plan right now to get my pre-req's done (and some extra Chem requirements).

Just wondering if people took three, four, five years to get their work done.

It is gonna take me five to get my bachelor in Psychology with chemistry as a minor and prepharmacy/Premedicine. Usually people take 3 years to complete all of the prerequisites.

Im actually trying to get everything done in 2 years. :scared:
I have to double up on a lot of things, and plan to take summer classes. My first semester was Biology, Chemistry, (and those labs), and Calculus plus electives. Its hard, but I'm surviving!
But I would love to just get it over with and get in. The only thing that worries me is the PCAT, which I will have to take this summer, and I will only have one year done.

I did mine in 4 years, but I got BS degrees first. I didn't decide on pharmacy until I was in my 3rd year of college.

spent 4 yrs + a summer in undergrad and got a BS in Biology.
worked for about 7 yrs and applied last nov.

you have the rest of your life to work... college is a very unique time in your life. i always tell people to enjoy the ride and that college is more than an education... its a life experience.

Hopefully 3, I am applying this summer and if I get in I'll finish my 3rd year of undergrad and proceed to pharm school in Fall of 2008.

If I dont get in my first try around, I'll apply again the next year, and hopefully get in for Fall fo 2009.

4 years for a BS in Business.
about 1.5 years for pre-reqs. hope to get in fall 2008.

Graduated HS in 1995, went 1 yr from 95-96. Came back in F'00 been going ever since. 8 years altogether. First year was just GE's some didn't transfer, but were required where I started. Since then it seemed like every class I needed for the BS had to have at least one prereq that wasn't. Intro to physics for physics; trig, pre-calc to take Calc. I also took Pharm Tech classes which slowed down getting other BS requirements. Then there's full-time work, marriage, and two kids. I guess I'm just an experienced hurdler.:p

You said you earned a B.S and then worked for 7 years. I was just wondering what you worked as for those 7 years before you applied to pharmacy school last November. Because I will have a B.S in biomedical science and i am trying to find a job I can work at for a year using my degree in case i dont get accepted anywhere, but all my academic advisors tell me this degree just prepared you for graduate school, not a career.

This is my 6th year of college. Luckily, I'll have a bachelors and masters degree completed in May! I hope to start pharmacy school in the fall.

It took me five years before applying to a pharmacy school...I was going to apply to last year, but I wanted to obtain BS in Biological Science. The pharmacy program is so darn competitive that each school prefers the candidates with BS. For instance, UCSD, 99% (i believe) of the entering students have BS...Pretty competitive, don't you think?

I hope I get in this year, I have two interviews to worry about.

Well, Good luck to all =)

Members don't see this ad :)
4yrs + summer. Will have Biology BS this summer and hopefully being going to Pharm School this coming Fall. My school's Biology program covered most all the pharm prereqs, which was very nice.
College is a life experience, study hard but do not miss the chance to cut loose and do some dumb stuff.

I guess I'm just an experienced hurdler.:p

I'll say. You gotta do what you gotta do, to survive, ala Tupac.

It'll be 7.5 years for me. Business degree, and two semesters of spanish before I could have a chem. degree. About 210 credit hours of undergrad. So I figured if I wanted to be a professional student I would need to go to professional school :D .

I'm in my sophomore year right now and I'm on a two year plan, hoping to get in for this fall. It's been tough, (lots of credits each semester and a summer class), but I'd rather just get it over with all at once.

I started college not knowing what I wanted to do, so this is my third year of pre-reqs, and I should be finished this summer, but I have to get past that dad-blasted O-chem...CRAPOLA!!!

I took chem and calculus while I was in high school, finished all the prerequisites in 2 years, and i will get a BS in biology in 3 years this may. I got accepted by LECOM already, still waiting for other pharm schools. Class of 2011

It will have taken me a total of 5 years to get a B.S. in biology, a B.A in Spanish, and a minor in biomedical sciences. I also did a study abroad in spain for a semester. I graduate this May! Honestly...I'm not in any rush to finish school...you have your entire life to work. :) (Which I would rather spend more time in school and when I finally am working, enjoy my job!)

It'll be 7.5 years for me. Business degree, and two semesters of spanish before I could have a chem. degree. About 210 credit hours of undergrad. So I figured if I wanted to be a professional student I would need to go to professional school :D .

You're not alone. 8 years for me. i've got 203 credit hours of undergrad now and will have 222 before i start pharmacy this fall.

I did all of my pre-reqs and finished my B.S. in Microbiology in 4 years. Since I slacked my sophomore year and only took 13 hours, I had to increase my hours towards the end to 18-21 so I'm pretty much braindead right now.

It took me 4 yrs and summer school every summer to complete my prereqs and a BS in Biochemistry. I am graduating this May and starting pharmacy school in the fall.

hey i was just wondering what school was easiest to get into and wondering about st. Johns pharmacy program. im doing my BS in biology rite now.

At the rate I'm going right now, 2.5 years. I'm not going to have a real life during summer though.

I will be graduating in August of 07. That would place me at four years and one summer in undergrad. My degree is in Microbiology and Cell Science with a minor in Chemistry, so techinically, I finished all my pre-reqs in 1.5 years (I used to be one of those super students).

For a couple of years, I was on the pre-vet track. I even applied to vet school (and got five interviews); however, I realized that I hated the veterinary profession. I'll be finishing up my degree this summer, taking the PCAT come June, and be applying over the summer. Life is fun!!!

I am going to get all my pre-pharmacy work done in 2 years. I had to take a heavy course load and take summer classes to get it done. Can't wait to start pharmacy school this fall.

I took two years. I'm only a sophomore right now. Yeah, I'm a rarity. Except not at all..but I dont know that many others.

It will be 5 years to complete my prerequisites. I didn't consider pharmacy school until the summer before my senior year. I was lucky that my major, Biomedical Engineering, included all the usual science/pharmacy prereq classes (plus engineering classes...talk about full load) except for speech, psychology, and physiology (I took an engineering phys without a lab, so I needed to take it again :p). So, I'm taking those three classes part-time during this 5th year.

Sometimes I think that if I found pharmacy earlier, I would be at my goal sooner and not have cost my parents as much money for my undergraduate years (and I went to a very expensive school). But despite that amount of money, I'm so grateful for my full four years of college experience. If you too are aching at the thought of taking more than 2-3 years of undergraduate, don't worry! It'll be the best years of your life before you have to go into the workforce. :)

I completed most of my pre reqs in 2 years - took one semester to do major coursework - this semester I am taking Org 2, and over the summer org lab (which is my last one). All told - it took me 3 years to complete my prereqs, and I should be starting Pharm school this Fall (#1 on the waitlist)

~above~

two years with no summers. I can tell you the semester of Organic Chemistry 2, Organic Chemistry Lab 1, Human Physiology and Anatomy, and Physics 2 lecture and lab was something to remember. It did prepare me well for my first semester of pharm school.

It took me 5.5 years and two application cycles to get accepted. B.S. in biochemical pharmacology in 4 years, 1 semester of undergrad upper-level sciences, and 1 year of M.S. pharmacology courses. Who wants to rush the golden years anyway?

I was able to pack my courses in (and take summer school every year) and will be completing a B.S. in Biochemistry in 3 years...BOY am I ready to finish though!!!!