How many pages do you write/read per week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahkristy117

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many page you write/read per week in your program. I'm sure it changes every year and whether your program is more clinical or research oriented.

I may be attending a more clinically focused but still research related program in the fall and am looking for an idea of what to expect as far as the work load goes.

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious how many page you write/read per week in your program. I'm sure it changes every year and whether your program is more clinical or research oriented.

I may be attending a more clinically focused but still research related program in the fall and am looking for an idea of what to expect as far as the work load goes.

It varies a lot. I'd say the average *class* in my program requires about 50-70 pages of reading a week, and 2 pages of writing a week, plus a presentation or two.

Research-- this varies substantially depending on what else is going on, but I try to read 2-3 research-related papers a week no matter what. The writing only happens when I have something to write up. So far I'm averaging two papers a year (not all published, though that's the eventual goal) which works out to... also two pages a week, I guess?

This varies wildly, I'm not sure anyone will be able to answer. Even if they do, it often depends as much on WHAT you are reading. I can breeze through 50 pages of ethics textbook in no time at all and spit back a 5 sentence summary. It might take me an hour to read through a 6 page paper on "wet" neuroscience, and still sound like a 5 year old trying to explain particle physics. Some articles I can skim, get the gist, and that's all I need. If its something that's interesting to me, or very important (i.e. models that are the foundation for much of our research), I might go through it several times, etc. Most of this goes for writing as well. I can bang out a stats homework assignment in 30 minutes. My thesis proposal? We're talking calendar rather than clock. Others I know can write really fast...I'm usually one of them, but I got horrendously stuck for a very long time on my thesis.

Really what it boils down to is, you are never done. No one knows all the literature in their field. Even the most well-known, well-respected senior faculty members will have absolutely astronomical gaps in their knowledge. Its just the nature of the beast. Most people cannot keep up with the reading in THEIR area anymore, let alone other areas.

In other words, the work is never done. You just have to do as much as you can, and set limits for yourself based off the kind of balance you want. Getting the bare minimum done isn't hard, I wouldn't worry about it. Beyond that, its really up to you.