how much do senior grades matter now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yancantcook

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to med school now, 6 interviews so far so I'm pretty content.

How much do the grades for my fall and spring semester count really?

do schools know about them at all before the decision is made?

i'm really slacking off at school, bought a lcd projector, got a 84 inch screen, xbox, going to the gym, bars, etc...

i kind of lost the motivation to work....

anyone else on the same boat as me???

should i try to keep my gpa up still or it won't make a difference now??

Members don't see this ad.

yancantcook said:

i'm really slacking off at school, bought a lcd projector, got a 84 inch screen, xbox, going to the gym, bars, etc...

They matter if you're trying to get off of a waitlist and need to send in grades for fall semester (or even spring semester for summer waitlist movement). But, if you are confidant enough to not expect to be waitlisted...I say sleep through senior year.

The only scenario in which they would matter is if you weren't accepted anywhere this year. But with 6 interviews so far, I think you'll be alright. Enjoy the 84" screen :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do senior grades matter?

yancantcook said:

BigRedPingpong said:
They matter if you're trying to get off of a waitlist and need to send in grades for fall semester (or even spring semester for summer waitlist movement). But, if you are confidant enough to not expect to be waitlisted...I say sleep through senior year.

I agree with this. I was waitlisted by my top choice and I sent them in both my fall and spring semester grades and I believe it helped me get off the waitlist.

a lot of people lose the race in the last stretch. you need to give yourself a big kick in the behind. there is a time to have fun, but the time is not now. plan on graduating with the highest gpa possible. it may come back to haunt you in the end if you dont. it could also mean the difference between an acceptance or a rejection (since some adcoms expect updates). or worse, it could mean the revocation of an acceptance (read the fine print: a lot of med schools hand out acceptances with the expectation that you will show comparable academic performance in your courses in progress).

bewitched1081 said:
it could mean the revocation of an acceptance (read the fine print: a lot of med schools hand out acceptances with the expectation that you will show comparable academic performance in your courses in progress).

Wow, talk about awful. I'm sure it's fine to drop a little- but if you really want to slack senior year, just take easier classes.

I think this one is actually the "Do senior grades matter?" thread. And I am busy with applying and interviewing. I am quite sure that schools are not going to revoke acceptances unless you get, like, straight D's and F's.

some schools have a condition in the acceptance that you get at least a 'C' in all of the classes you're enrolled for senior year...but you should be able to sleepwalk through classes and still pull C's. Like other posters have said, as long as you're not trying to get off a waitlist or, worse yet, not accepted at all and forced to apply again next cycle, then senior year grades count for, presicely, dick. Oh i guess if you're one of those people who can't stand to mess up their GPA/want some sort of university honor...then it might matter....otherwise enjoy slacker year! :D :thumbup:

another worry is that i can't even slack, because traveling to/from interviews causes us to miss so much class that we gotta work hard for them.

maybe if we are fortunate enough to get in oct. 15 or so, then the senioritis may kick in.

bewitched1081 said:
there is a time to have fun, but the time is not now.

I'm not sure when you have in mind. Maybe in M1? No. Maybe in M2? No. M3 or M4? I don't think so. Maybe residency? Is this a joke?

UseUrHeadFred said:
I'm not sure when you have in mind. Maybe in M1? No. Maybe in M2? No. M3 or M4? I don't think so. Maybe residency? Is this a joke?

:)

funniest thing i read all day!

(then again, isn't becoming a doctor fun in and of itself)

that's it, i am taking the day off today!

UseUrHeadFred said:
I'm with ya. I was thinking the same thing.

It's senior year. You've played the game for three years... ****in' enjoy it.

My backspace key is getting quite a workout, because of the 3:30pm drunk that I have on my face right now. Relax for a few, then it's on, again. I love senior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
calstudent said:
another worry is that i can't even slack, because traveling to/from interviews causes us to miss so much class that we gotta work hard for them.

maybe if we are fortunate enough to get in oct. 15 or so, then the senioritis may kick in.

So do you think ADCOMs will understand how hard it is for some of us to keep up our grades this semester? I mean for me, this semester I actually have a light courseload but if you combine the fact that I have to work a lot more extra hours this semester to help pay for interview expenses + having to play catch-up all the time because of absents due to interviews from lab and class it will be difficult for me to pull off A's. Actually, I'll be lucky if I pull off B's (don't even want to mention the test grades I got back haha) :laugh:

Anyone else having trouble keeping up their grades this semester but not actually due to slacking off (okay maybe a little slacking off :D )?

I'm trying to treat this year like A-'s and B+'s are ok, which is unusual for me since I really had to raise my gpa in the past. If I can acheive that I think it will make me a healthier person.

i'm with you guys on the whole grades thing. i've got two easy classes (easy B's at least, probably easy A's) and two really hard classes (just want C's or B's to get that damn diploma).

during any other quarter, B's and C's for me would indicate SERIOUS partying or other fun, but, alas, this quarter it just signifies interview traveling, absences, illness, and stress.

seven more weeks to see if it all worked out... :scared:

I'm so feeling that senioritis right now, too. It's actually my last semester so I think it's a little worse. I'm taking Histo and senior seminar with a prof that wrote me a letter of rec and I feel the need to impress him and that is all. I don't have any other motivation to study for my classes other than that.

In fact, I had a ecology test today that I think I did poorly on. It probably would have been super easy, but I literally studied for 30 minutes and that's all.

It's time to party! :cool:

Maybe I missed this point...but don't most med schools want this fall semester's grades in january? If I'm not accepted till the spring somewhere, why would then not want my fall grades by then too? seems like its a bigger issue than just waitlists and final transcripts in may...?

Medikit said:
I'm pretty sure they don't ask for them.

not all, but some want 'continuous updates' as long as you're enrolled. iowa and loma linda are two that come to mind.

senior grades matter for people who dont have freshman, sophomore, or junior grades... if you know what i mean.

derf said:
not all, but some want 'continuous updates' as long as you're enrolled. iowa and loma linda are two that come to mind.

anyone know of other schools that request updates?

I am literally waiting to get that letter next week so I don't have to study for pchem. I am taking 1 credit next semester :thumbup: