How my winter break is going...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheKidColin13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all so I took a week to rest and now I am studying again. I have finished general bio and general chem. As I look through my Princeton Review books for these subjects I feel I have forgotten so much! Is this normal? I am not taking the mcat until summer of 2016 but is it normal to forget material like this? I mean it obviously came back to me quickly after review but I am unsure how I will retain such a vast amount of material.

Let me know what yall think!

Blessings

Members don't see this ad.

This should be in the pre-allo forum. Ignoring that, I would say it depends on what kind of stuff you're forgetting; it's normal to forget the specifics but most people should be able to retain the general concepts/ideas. For instance, I'm studying for my first NBME right now and can describe in detail how a drug works if you tell me what class it belongs to, but the hardest part is being able to remember specific names of the drugs.

Reactions: 1 user
That's life bro. Some things i look at once and learn it forever. Other things i have to look at ten times and even then i can barely keep it straight. Repetition is key. The more times you look at something, the better you remember it. There are also times when you pick up on things that you didn't notice before or skimmed over

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's normal. If you're that concerned use your MCAT books while you're going thru classes, so then your brain is better able to associate things taught in class that appear in your prep books and on the MCAT.

This should be in the pre-allo forum. Ignoring that, I would say it depends on what kind of stuff you're forgetting; it's normal to forget the specifics but most people should be able to retain the general concepts/ideas. For instance, I'm studying for my first NBME right now and can describe in detail how a drug works if you tell me what class it belongs to, but the hardest part is being able to remember specific names of the drugs.

Okay yeah I get what you're saying. That makes sense. Haha I'm not going to freakout then! Thanks friend

It's normal. You'll be surprised how much of it comes back once you start seriously studying, unless you didn't do your due diligence when you were learning it the first time around. It's a lot to know, but it eventually becomes intuitive after studying for months for that stupid test.