How nervous are you allowed to be at the interview? (need a little advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papoosh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had my 4th interview this week. I am an extremely laid back guy but when it comes time to the interviews I get nervous. The typical shaking hand, cold hand and fast speaking and elevated heart rate. My interview was def a stress one because no matter how much i tried to lighten up the mood I got nothing in response. I gave very good answers on my interview and there is not much I wish I would have said. But I def talked really fast and at the end of the interview when it came to shaking hands my hands were literally ice cold.

This past week has been torture because I constantly regret not having spoken to a physician and discussed possible beta blocker use. I know many people do it, but I felt it would be unfair for me to hide my true self. But if this leads to me not getting an acceptance because of my nervousness I truly don't know what I will do. I work two jobs which are both patient care and dead end. I have invested all my savings to go back to school and ace my postbacc which I did and make up for my many past failures.

I cant fathom spending another year doing this and I am literally losing my mind. I love this field and just want to begin pursuing my dream.Two of my friends just got their acceptances and as happy as I am for them it is making me feel very incompetent and driving me into a very sad state (I have two waitlists mainly because of red flags on my transcript). Anyways I just wanted to spill my heart out somewhere since I havnt really left the house in the past week or spoken to anyone about this. I hope you are all having a great cycle and I hope I can be one of the success stories at the end.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In one of my group interviews, I noticed ALL applicants were a bit nervous...each to varying degrees. I think everyone is going to be nervous, with younger pre-meds/less experienced interviewers perhaps a little more obvious about their nerves. Now, I'm a fellow interviewee, so I can't comment on what is acceptable and what isn't.

I think your reasons for not taking beta-blockers are, noble(?), but if I'm being frank, kind of illogical. If you had depression would you stop taking your medication before your interview so they could see the "real" you? How about if you had chronic acne...should you stop taking your medication so the real you is visible? You sound like you have social/performance anxiety, which can absolutely be treated. Get yourself treated because you don't want to blow these interviews simply because you were nervous.

As someone who has been out of college a handful of years, I can tell you, patience is a virtue. I often times forget this myself, but if you need to reapply next year, so be it. In the grand scheme of things, one extra year isn't going to be make a bit of difference. Need a way to spend your year off and can't see another year doing what you're doing? Go teach English in Korea. Apply to a non-profit and work for food and shelter. Get serious about a hobby and turn it into a business. Do anything to keep yourself active, interesting, and motivated to reach your ultimate goal.

During one of my interviews, I was so nervous that I literally stopped talking in the middle of answering a question and had to take a few deep breaths. My interviewers were totally understanding and waited it out. I was so embarrassed and was sure I would be rejected, but I ended up being accepted.

It's okay to be nervous, and it sounds like you did much better than I did ha. I've never used medication for anxiety, but I've developed a lot of coping mechanisms that have allowed me to come this far and I bet you can too. If not, there's no shame in trying the drug out and seeing if it works for you. Just remember that you're allowed to be nervous - it would be worse if you weren't nervous at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I had my 4th interview this week. I am an extremely laid back guy but when it comes time to the interviews I get nervous. The typical shaking hand, cold hand and fast speaking and elevated heart rate. My interview was def a stress one because no matter how much i tried to lighten up the mood I got nothing in response. I gave very good answers on my interview and there is not much I wish I would have said. But I def talked really fast and at the end of the interview when it came to shaking hands my hands were literally ice cold.

This past week has been torture because I constantly regret not having spoken to a physician and discussed possible beta blocker use. I know many people do it, but I felt it would be unfair for me to hide my true self. But if this leads to me not getting an acceptance because of my nervousness I truly don't know what I will do. I work two jobs which are both patient care and dead end. I have invested all my savings to go back to school and ace my postbacc which I did and make up for my many past failures.

I cant fathom spending another year doing this and I am literally losing my mind. I love this field and just want to begin pursuing my dream.Two of my friends just got their acceptances and as happy as I am for them it is making me feel very incompetent and driving me into a very sad state (I have two waitlists mainly because of red flags on my transcript). Anyways I just wanted to spill my heart out somewhere since I havnt really left the house in the past week or spoken to anyone about this. I hope you are all having a great cycle and I hope I can be one of the success stories at the end.

It seems to me that if you're a very laid back guy, taking beta blockers to curb the interview nervousness would bring out the real you.

EVERYONE is nervous to a degree. Without having been at the interview, it's hard to say how badly it might affect you.

My advice is to quit worrying about what's done. It can't be undone.

Reactions: 2 users
Uh, a beta blocker wouldn't *hide* your true self, but let your true self shine! I've used them before for other things, and trust me, it's hardly noticeable except that you don't get the unusual nervousness associated with anxiety. Very, very tame. Plus, dirt cheap, safe*, non-addictive.

(*for some people. Ask your doctor; I'm not one.)

I have a similar problem with the anxious-nervousness at formal interviews but I feel that a beta-blocker would exacerbate my problem. I have pretty low BP normally (90-100 systolic) and sometimes when I get nervous, I get all clammy, lightheaded, and then pass out. Last time this happened, I was shadowing a doc and the nurses took my BP and it was 60/40. Any suggestions?

Holy moly...its just an interview. I dont understand how people can be so nervous. Sure there's a lot on the line but at the end of the day you're just talking to another human being, thats all! I dont know anything about Beta blockers pasted a quick google search but....come, on. Unethical much? (I know you said you wont but still; cant believe people actually consider that for an interview...ethical future doc's they shall be).

Holy moly...its just an interview. I dont understand how people can be so nervous. Sure there's a lot on the line but at the end of the day you're just talking to another human being, thats all! I dont know anything about Beta blockers pasted a quick google search but....come, on. Unethical much? (I know you said you wont but still; cant believe people actually consider that for an interview...ethical future doc's they shall be).

empathic future doctor, aren't you?

Reactions: 3 users
empathic future doctor, aren't you?
Having a "condition" for a one time occasion doesn't warrant sympathy from me. I applaud OP for not going down that road. Mock interviews are the way to go.

Last edited:
Having a "condition" for a one time occasion doesn't warrant sympathy from me. I applaud OP for not going down that road. Mock interviews are the way to go.

This is so close minded. It is not unethical for OP to have a prescription drug prescribed to him by his physician, if his physician determines the OP's condition warrants this. Who are you to judge whether or not he needs this medication for high stress situations? How can you be all high and mighty about this and expect to treat patients who have conditions that require medications that you deem unnecessary based on some moral high ground?

Reactions: 7 users
It's a condition for sure, that manifests itself usually in several situations -- public speaking, interviews, etc. This person may have many interviews, so definitely not one time.

Also, you must be morally opposed to coffee and red bull for test prep. Coffee is more noticeable than propranolol, for what it's worth.

This boils down to "I don't know anything . . . but I'm going to make a moral judgment."

This is so close minded. It is not unethical for OP to have a prescription drug prescribed to him by his physician, if his physician determines the OP's condition warrants this. Who are you to judge whether or not he needs this medication for high stress situations? How can you be all high and mighty about this and expect to treat patients who have conditions that require medications that you deem unnecessary based on some moral high ground?
People fake conditions to get things like adderal all the time; many whom don't really need it. It's pretty common for physicians to encounter patients seeking narcotics as well when they dont really need it. If the physician prescribes it and the patient legitimately has a condition, I am OK with that. I am not ok with gaming the system. There is a distinction.

Members don't see this ad :)
People fake conditions to get things like adderal all the time; many whom don't really need it. It's pretty common for physicians to encounter patients seeking narcotics as well when they dont really need it. If the physician prescribes it and the patient legitimately has a condition, I am OK with that. I am not ok with gaming the system. There is a distinction.

well you have no idea if OP is trying to "game the system" or not. you have no medical opinion to contribute so don't contribute one. OP's need for a prescription is not a need that you can determine with your current level of education.

So you think you can sniff out the fakers (over the internet, no less!) and easily deny them medications? Good luck buddy.

@baxt1412 : As I said, if the physician determines OP or whoever is in need of betablockers...Im okay with that. As I should have said, given the premise he is not gaming the system, I am okay with it. Im not a doctor. Thank you for being rational and not lashing out like some of the other posters lol
@ananasmed : i never said i was 'sniffing out fakers' or anything of that sort. I said physicians catch people seeking medications they dont actually need from time to time...like narc-addicts. You're extrapolating beyond the realm of anything I said. No need for the passive aggressive "buddy" comment either.

Last edited:
@baxt1412 : As I said, if the physician determines OP or whoever is in need of betablockers...Im okay with that. As I should have said, given the premise he is not gaming the system, I am okay with it. Im not a doctor. Thank you for being rational and not lashing out like some of the other posters lol
@ananasmed : i never said i was 'sniffing out fakers' or anything of that sort. I said physicians catch people seeking medications they dont actually need from time to time...like narc-addicts. You're extrapolating beyond the realm of anything I said. No need for the passive aggressive "buddy" comment either.

I have made an inference based on your attitude toward the OP and your assumption that his choice to take prescription medication is unethical by nature. Yes, there are people who seek drugs that they don't need, but it's certainly more complicated than you're making it out to be, and I have no idea why you would bring that into this conversation. Have a nice day.

S/He's passive aggressive because you came across like a total a-hole.

@ananasmed : you made an inference that I sniff out drug seekers online from a few posts? interesting...I am done arguing over something pointless. If a doctor deems a patient needs it, then im ok with that. A person needing if for a one time occasion doesn't lead me to believe they really need it; however again, I am not a physician and its not my call to make.

Last edited:
@ananasmed : you made an inference that I sniff out drug seekers online from a few posts? interesting...I am done arguing over something pointless. If a doctor deems a patient needs it, then im ok with that. A person needing if for a one time occasion doesn't lead me to believe they really need it; however again, I am not a physician and its not my call to make.

You basically accused OP of attempting to game the system and now you are backpedaling furiously after getting called out on it. I strongly advise you avoid medicine and consider a career in politics instead.

LOL. Patients coming to the ER faking anxiety to get . . . propranolol. Now *that's* a fun time.

Reactions: 1 users
@BHB2008 : Another imaginative extrapolation on your part with the ER which holds no weight.
@rohcirtep : please show me where I explicitly accused OP specifically of gaming the system.

@BHB2008 : Another imaginative extrapolation on your part with the ER which holds no weight.
@rohcirtep : please show me where I explicitly accused OP specifically of gaming the system.

How about I explicitly show you where you said you were "done arguing"? Just stop already...

@rohcirtep : what part of that shows that I explicitly accused OP specifically of gaming the system?

Just a joke. You talked about drug seekers. OP isn't inquiring about a narcotic. It's not a benzo or anything. Peace.

Since you criticized the OP initially (saying they are unethical to use medication in interviews), and you are 'ok with betablockers so long as someone isn't gaming the system,' it follows that you thought OP could be gaming the system. Otherwise you wouldn't have jumped all over the OP and called him unethical. It's called inductive reasoning, but you are demanding deductive proof that you said the OP was gaming the system. If you want to talk about certainties, it is certain you were being unreasonably rude to the OP when the question was good and they are not trolling.

Since you criticized the OP initially (saying they are unethical to use medication in interviews), and you are 'ok with betablockers so long as someone isn't gaming the system,' it follows that you thought OP could be gaming the system. Otherwise you wouldn't have jumped all over the OP and called him unethical. It's called inductive reasoning, but you are demanding deductive proof that you said the OP was gaming the system. If you want to talk about certainties, it is certain you were being unreasonably rude to the OP when the question was good and they are not trolling.
I said that given the premise that he never needed them up until now and he said he knows people who go out and get them. I should have been more specific, but i meant the unethical to be directed at people who go out and seek them speficially for interview day.

whatever im done here. Ive had a lot of symptoms that OP and others have from nervousness. But I got over it by exposing myself to situations which produce said nervous symptoms. You'd be surprised at how much you can grow by forcing yourself to and I believe everyone has the capacity to do so given they have the will to. There are alternatives to resorting to medicine. I still stand by the use mock interviews and I am against people gaming the system (not specifically directed at OP).

I have taken it to fly (among other things), and it's a life saver. Couldn't get on a plane otherwise. One of the lucky ones who thrives in group presentation/interview settings, but I know from my own experience how irrational and detrimental anxiety can be.

:nailbiting:

In one of my group interviews, I noticed ALL applicants were a bit nervous...each to varying degrees. I think everyone is going to be nervous, with younger pre-meds/less experienced interviewers perhaps a little more obvious about their nerves. Now, I'm a fellow interviewee, so I can't comment on what is acceptable and what isn't.

I think your reasons for not taking beta-blockers are, noble(?), but if I'm being frank, kind of illogical. If you had depression would you stop taking your medication before your interview so they could see the "real" you? How about if you had chronic acne...should you stop taking your medication so the real you is visible? You sound like you have social/performance anxiety, which can absolutely be treated. Get yourself treated because you don't want to blow these interviews simply because you were nervous.

As someone who has been out of college a handful of years, I can tell you, patience is a virtue. I often times forget this myself, but if you need to reapply next year, so be it. In the grand scheme of things, one extra year isn't going to be make a bit of difference. Need a way to spend your year off and can't see another year doing what you're doing? Go teach English in Korea. Apply to a non-profit and work for food and shelter. Get serious about a hobby and turn it into a business. Do anything to keep yourself active, interesting, and motivated to reach your ultimate goal.

I actually broke out in acne a bit before an interview. I also take medicine. But this post hit close to home. My face is better now though.