How Pharmacits pick up extra shifts (overtime) CVS/WALGREENS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Pharmacist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still a pharmacy student and I need to understand how a pharmacist at CVS or Walgreens pick up open shifts in his store or other stores to collect extra hours. is it the pharmacist choice to choose the shifts or is it assigned to him by someone else?

FOR EXAMPLE: if a pharmacist who works full-time 40 hours a week and he needs the money for whatever reason (loans, mortgage....etc) and want to work 60 hours a week:
  1. can the pharmacist log in to a specific database or something and pick up open shifts in other stores?
  2. and if yes is there any restrictions for how many hours the pharmacist can pick up?
  3. or how many miles away the store should be?

I hope to find some reliable answers from pharmacists at CVS and Walgreens in this matter. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

At my Walgreens it was difficult for the pharmacists to get overtime. It was generally only the "pharmacy managers" that were able to get overtime hours (by working at another store).

Apparently this is the big advantage to being a manager. You don't get paid much more, but you get more opportunities to work.